Pre Season Training

Started by BangBang, January 07, 2008, 03:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BangBang

What type and how much training are people doing now?

I am trying to hit the weights twice a week and do two collective training sessions during the week and one at weekend.

dubinhell

I've just finished off the mince pies  ;D

illdecide

Quote from: dubinhell on January 07, 2008, 04:37:45 PM

I've just finished off the mice pies  ;D

I prefer hamster pies myself :P
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

stpauls

in the gym 2-3 times a week myself, with about 35-40 minutes cardio then a fairly strong wieghts session, also, our early sunday morning hill running sessions started yesterday, and we have circuits starting next thursday as well!

Zulu

QuoteWhat type and how much training are people doing now?

I am trying to hit the weights twice a week and do two collective training sessions during the week and one at weekend.

If you haven't been hitting the weights over the winter i'd say you might be wasting your time. When is your first competitive game? You want to be building up to that so if it is 4 months away, training 3 times a week might be too much. Instaed of the weekend session try orgainise a 5 a-side football match. You still get the benefits but it isn't as tedious, it can be a long year for the club player.

AbbeySider

Off/Pre-season training is a very strange one.

Last year I did loads of leg weights and I was squatting 75 or 85 KG as well as doing other heavy weights on the legs and lifting average weights for my upper body. I found that I slowed up a lot in sprints and stuff which was the opposite effect I wanted.

This winter I concentrated on building up my upper body including abs and core and I have done much less leg weights.
Im in the gym 2-3 times a week with specific programs that I change every few weeks for specific areas.

Im in the habit at the moment of doing "drop-sets" of bigger weights (pressing over 80 KG) which has really changed my physique and I have gotten much bigger. (a year an a half ago I was 11 & 1/4 stone and now im tipping over 13)

I do some light weights on the legs but I do 3 sets of 10-15 reps of an average weight rather than 2/3 sets of 6-8 reps of a heavy weight.
I also have been doing some jump squats instead of squatting and everything I have done on the legs is focused on explosiveness rather than doing heavy weights. I do some cycling on the bike in the gym because I find the treadmill a waste of time. I do the interval or random program because it is harder and I reckon better for endurance.

Im also playing a little rugby which gives me a nice run out twice a week and a game every two weeks.

Im not necessarily concentrating on cardio over the winter as id safely say (like everyone else) that I will be running for the next 10 months so !

Zulu

QuoteLast year I did loads of leg weights and I was squatting 75 or 85 KG as well as doing other heavy weights on the legs and lifting average weights for my upper body. I found that I slowed up a lot in sprints and stuff which was the opposite effect I wanted.

The best way to improve speed is to sprint train, weight work will aid this but you need to hit the track to really improve your speed. You're correct to do explosive type training and core work is essential for all aspects of fitness but you have a basis of strength work done and explosive type training should only be done after this.

lynchbhoy

light weights to increase strength
othewise unless you are a skinny lad of supermodel stature, you dont want to be putting on weight, it slows you down.

Better off playing basketball to learn agility and therefore incorporate dodging tackles to lessen the chances of getting hit than going on weights like most guys thinking they are arnie and find that nippier players beat them to the ball and run rings round them

if its rugby you want to play - running in straight lines, or bodybuilding - then do heavy weights
otherwise you'd be better off out on the pitch kicking the ball with either foot 40 yards between you and practiscing the basics and soloing the length of the pitch, finishing off by shooting for points wither side of the goal and also going for goals placing the shot inside either post after one of these pitch long solo runs

INDIANA

disagree lynchboy - while i'd agree with you in theory i'd love it to be that way still but as you go up the grades the unfortunate reality of modern Gaelic Football is that without speed and strength there is a limit to far you can go. You can have all the natural skill in the world but as you move up the grades you'll get smashed. Equally without skill you won't go far either- but you need both unfortunately.
Have to say in contrast to the above- it was only when i did serious weights including leg weigths coupled with speed training that i saw real speed benefits. It improved my stamina aLso no end as i could keep running for much longer and was able to keep going when others were on their knees. There is no substitute for skill but it isn't enough anymore- i could name about 10 dublin players in the last decade who had the skil to play county but none of the other attributes and as a result never really cut it at senior intercounty level. It's the unfortunate reality as the game slowly heads towards full time professionalism.

DUBSFORSAM1

I have to say it is a sad day when emphasis is more on gym/speed rather than skill and football ability...

For stamina training I think you should do it all with ball in hand, soloing with both feet up and down the pitch doing it a la the bleep test - getting quicker slightly each length - pointing from 30 yards out each time and collecting new ball at end of each run..
For speed training shuttles (wearing ankle/wrist weights) - edge of square and back, 14 yard line and back, 21 and back, 45 pick up ball sprint back to 21 and put over bar first on the right next time on teh left...
Once that is done repeat the shuttles except catching a high ball at each line and placing back on line...

For size/strength - try wrestling also try using medicine balls for throwing/catching and your stretching exercises should incorporate the medicine ball etc....for getting used to contact you can incoporate murder ball into sessions  - catch a high ball and try and burst through 2 players hitting shoulders....or else putting 15/20 players in a tiny space with 10 balls....all hand passing, any dropped balls 20 push-ups - plenty of hitting shoulders from all sides so you get used to contact and can adapt...

Zulu

I wouldn't entirely agree with you there DFS, this is pre-season training remember, much of what you advise is more suitable for later on in the season. If you're starting a pre-season regime you must build it up slowly and progressively. All football training should be done with the ball but if fitness levels are low or if you are training yourself outside of the team sessions doing so without the ball is fine. Interval training is the quickest way to get fit and is the most applicable to football, early season intervals should be long e.g 400m or 800m intervals. And I would never recommend anyone wear wrist and particularly ankle weights, they are an injury hazard.

AbbeySider

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 07, 2008, 05:50:30 PM
Better off playing basketball to learn agility and therefore incorporate dodging tackles to lessen the chances of getting hit than going on weights like most guys thinking they are arnie and find that nippier players beat them to the ball and run rings round them
if its rugby you want to play - running in straight lines, or bodybuilding - then do heavy weights

Not sure if I agree totally with what what you are saying there lynchbhoy. Strength and power are very important in the modern game. The ability to be strong in a tackle, take a hit and not buckle and spill the ball is very important. It is also important to be able to burst through (to a certain extent, not overly so) and to give a hit without you always coming out the worst of a tackle. Its also important to be able to hold off in a tackle.

The off season is important in that regard for lads to be building up power and core strength. Players need a break from all the running but its also a good idea to get out now and again so you dont stiffen up too much. Lots of guys at club level are playing every other sports from astro-turf soccer to rugby in order to stay in some sort of shape. But working out in the gym should tell especially earlier in the season when the ground is heavier. As the season progresses and the ground gets faster the gym is less important but should not be totally obsolete. Its good to work out all through the season but not as much during the summer months.

And I dont wholly agree with what you say about rugby. Most backs and especially wingers need to be fairly agile and wouldnt be running in straight lines all the time.

But having said all that, flexibility is probably one of the most important things for all round fitness. Speed, agility, strength etc can all be improved with better flexibility.

Did anyone here ever take up pilates or yoga classes??
(I can hear the laughing already)

Il post my "hot yoga" story tomorrow....  ;D

DUBSFORSAM1

Zulu - Have to disagree about the long intervals and the weights....I found the weights of great benefit...

Abbeysider - Pilates is actually very hard isn't it...takes a lot out of you especially the core region....and you don't even realise it...

Zulu

QuoteZulu - Have to disagree about the long intervals and the weights....I found the weights of great benefit...

I think the weights are just a gimmick to be honest DFS, they do nothing that hill running, water running or resistant running couldn't achieve. I feel they add to much pressure on the joints of people and if you had weak knees or shoulders they would increase the chances of injury immensely. As for the league intervals, they are brilliant for early season stamina training, though I'd accept they are not the only way of skinning that particular cat.

ONeill

Drinking no more than 6 cups of tea a day. Eating sesame seeds. 50 sit-ups, 20 press-ups and 12km on the bike per day. Try to keep my legs straight when sitting as crossing them harms circulation. Make sure bowels move 3 times a day.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.