World Darts Championship 2009

Started by the Deel Rover, December 29, 2007, 09:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: Clown on January 05, 2009, 10:37:31 AM
they all start off at the BDO , merv king made the semis in his 1st or 2nd year in the pdc, klaasen has done well since moving over, i think webster will do well if and when he moves to the PDC.

wud eric bristow or john lowe not hav been better players than barney??

Going by averages that Barney was getting in finals that in played in at the BDO there would not have been much between him and Bristow but since then he has improved again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDO_World_Darts_Championship

FermPundit

Great performance by 22 year old Daryl Gurney from Derry at Lakeside tonight. He defeated 14th seed Garry Thompson 3-1. He now plays Martin Adams in the second half. From what I saw tonight he'll give Wolfie a good game!
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Old Bill

Yea he played well! I think he is from Derry.

Clown

T O Hare

seen him on talking.. he just seems to be having the craic!!! says he practices a half an hour a day  ;D ;D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Tommy Tight Lips

just had a look at that wikipedia link.going by those averages,if you go back as far as 1990 and actually further no one has won a bdo final with an average greater than 98.that would be just about good enough to win a quarter final in the pdc.mark webster won bdo last year with a 92 average.wouldnt have got him into quarter final this year at pdc.
i myself was over at the pdc semi finals in the alexandra palace last weekend and there is no comparison between the two brands.the atmospher inside the arena was something else,its absolutely brilliant at the end of a set and the music comes on and the crowd goes mad.the way the pdc market their product is fantastic,they always have the biggest venues and the biggest cash prizes.the atmosphere at the lakeside is very poor as is the standard.the only few who would be able to transfer over and do okay would be gary anderson and probably webster.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Tommy Tight Lips on January 06, 2009, 05:22:21 PM
just had a look at that wikipedia link.going by those averages,if you go back as far as 1990 and actually further no one has won a bdo final with an average greater than 98.that would be just about good enough to win a quarter final in the pdc.mark webster won bdo last year with a 92 average.wouldnt have got him into quarter final this year at pdc.
i myself was over at the pdc semi finals in the alexandra palace last weekend and there is no comparison between the two brands.the atmospher inside the arena was something else,its absolutely brilliant at the end of a set and the music comes on and the crowd goes mad.the way the pdc market their product is fantastic,they always have the biggest venues and the biggest cash prizes.the atmosphere at the lakeside is very poor as is the standard.the only few who would be able to transfer over and do okay would be gary anderson and probably webster.

Then how do you explain Barney winning the PDC the first year he transferred?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Tommy Tight Lips

what do you mean how do i explain?barneveld won the pdc the first year he transferred with an average of 101.he joined the pdc in january 2006 and won the tournament the following january.i believe he made the necessary improvement by playing against better players on a regular occurrence in bigger televised tournaments.he was in a comfort zone with the bdo because only eric bristow i think had won more lakeside tournaments than him whereas the likes of anderson has only got to the semi finals of the lakeside once however he has got to the semi finals of the grand slam of darts the last two years and was beaten by andy hamilton last year and taylor this year.webster if he ever went professional could perhaps make the neccessary improvements.the big problem with the bdo is that the majority of their top players are not full time pro's whereas the pdc is

tyrone86

Quote from: Tommy Tight Lips on January 06, 2009, 05:22:21 PM

Wade didn't average 92 in any of his games in the last fortnight, I think he might have been around 90/91 at his peak v Barney and Van der Voort.

Old Bill

I see in the paper today that Anderson and Webster are being linked with moves to the PDC and could be offered places in the PRemier League as wildcards.

Hound

Yes, Anderson, Webster, Robson, Waites and Whitlock all very strongly linked with a move to the PDC.

Two Premier League wildcards available. I'd be surprised if both went to BDO transferrees, there'd be uproar in the PDC ranks. But one would be a strong possibility.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Hound on January 07, 2009, 02:52:01 PM
Yes, Anderson, Webster, Robson, Waites and Whitlock all very strongly linked with a move to the PDC.

At this rate Bobby George will have to make a comeback.

tyrone86

Quote from: Hound on January 07, 2009, 02:52:01 PM

Two Premier League wildcards available. I'd be surprised if both went to BDO transferrees, there'd be uproar in the PDC ranks. But one would be a strong possibility.

You'd expect Lewis or Mardle will get one of the Wildcards - probably Lewis as he was in the top 4 of the PL last year. You'd expect also expect whomever wins the BDO World title to get the other if they're transferring.

Tommy Tight Lips

perhaps mardle ahead of lewis as mardle seems to be a real crowd favourite and ull always see the crowd littered with hawaiin tops.anderson could do well in the premier league,would be interesting to see him there.if not him jelle klassen.hes starting to show his potential of couple of years ago and if not for his playing ability,even just to look at his woman  ;D ;D

T O Hare

Gurney is currently 2 sets each with Martin Adams!!! he is playing well enough !!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"