Donal Mc Anallen resigns his Higher Education post over GPA grants

Started by orangeman, December 13, 2007, 04:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Its long past time we addressed the democratic deficit and had our say on this issue, via ballot of the Clubs. This can not be a management decision. The potential long term harm to the association is incalculable if this change is bull-dozed through.

Fear ón Srath Bán

As a point of interest: are there any Club Tyrone heads (or Club Anycounty) who are now considering their contributions in light of last weekend (I am a member but not considering withdrawing financial support)?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

DMarsden

As has been argued consistently here, the greatest challenge now for the association is the modernisation of rule 11, which should tighten the amateur status and allay any fears of a move towards semi professionalism.

orangeman

Let's pay everybody - then Marsden would be happy - grass cutters, jerseywashers, gatemen, gaaboard.com posters, the whole lot of us !!!

ONeill

Quote from: orangeman on December 13, 2007, 09:59:25 PM
Let's pay everybody - then Marsden would be happy - grass cutters, jerseywashers, gatemen, gaaboard.com posters, the whole lot of us !!!

Do those who post most be considered as elite?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

spectator

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 13, 2007, 08:50:28 PM

I said it before on a few threads - I think rule 11 does need updated...

But not towards professionalism, rather away from it. Limit the time to train players, limit the matches - reduce the time commitment the players have to make to more manageable levels and the problem should go away.

Indeed they can do this - whilst also limiting the payments to trainers & managers while they're at it.

They can limit coverage of the games too, hopefully limiting & stymying the bidding wars by corporate sponsors and tv companies in the process...

I think if you're serious about this proposition, the best idea is to do away with county teams altogether & lets just revert to club teams. That could lend a more 'good old days' feel back to the GAA & remove the commercial heat, i reckon, & hold back the tide of change for a good few more years yet.

Unfortunately, it seems that the GAA did things back-to-front. They thought big whilst neglecting ortaking for granted the visible stars of the show. The day they built the monument that's Croker & attracted the attention of the big bucks merchants was the day they set themselves up for this scenario. Why? Because they insisted the GAA was an amateur organisation, while in reality, some were more amateur than others.

Anyone criticising the players should question the direction & way in which the GAA has been developed  over the last decade.

Looking back with the benefit of hindsight, it hasn't been handled all that well, has it.

Realistically, DMarsden's comment is the most sensible way to go, at this stage.

asitis

jesus lads i 've great time for donkeys, i just f**king hate  kerry men.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 13, 2007, 08:46:58 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 13, 2007, 08:44:29 PM
Indeed.
It's not like politics (of a certain sort anyway) where if you don't like something you go off and be a dissident sitting in some purer holier than holy principled corner.

If it gets the clubs and counties agitated enough to call for a national vote within the GAA then its a stand well worth making.

This rubbish can still be stopped, but it will have to happen from the clubs up as Nicky Brennan is obviously intent on railroading it through without consulting the whole spectrum of members.

Hostility towards GPA helps fuel funding fuss
Seán Moran

On Gaelic Games: Why was there such fuss over the Sports Council funding of player awards?
My view is that it was partly driven by a pathological hostility to the Gaelic Players Association. Few of those leading the opposition to the Government scheme have a good word to say about the players' union and frequently volunteer scathing and aggressive views about the organisation.
Another motive factor is that the energy that drove opposition to the reform of Rules 21 and 42 is now channelling itself through another outlet. That doesn't mean that everyone who opposed those changes opposes the awards scheme or that everyone who supported them is in favour of the players receiving these grants. But in my view there's a fair overlap.
Those opposing the scheme have their own views: that these payments are in breach of Rule 11, governing amateur status, and that Central Council's acceptance of the Government scheme represents the birth of pay-for-play and the beginning of the end for the GAA.
Someone as committed to the association as Mark Conway in Tyrone, whose expertise has been of great assistance to his club, county, province and Croke Park committees, has decided to walk away because he believes in the above interpretation.
So people have different views on the situation and there have been intense exchanges on the subject.
But here are some facts.
The GPA campaign that resulted in public funds being committed to these awards has been a public one. It has its origins in a response to the 2002 Finance Bill by then Minister for Finance Charlie McCreevy, who included provisions allowing professional sports people substantial tax allowances and pension incentives on their earnings.
When the bill was published, an immediate response from the GAA on behalf of the then president Seán McCague issued from Croke Park:
"Mr McCague stated, however, that he was disappointed that when we had just finished the year of the volunteer, voluntary and amateur sports stars such as GAA players appear to have been discriminated against from a tax concession premise
."Did anyone at the time object to this effective request from the association that its players be funded?
Anyone, apart, that is, from McCreevy, who said he wouldn't be extending tax breaks to be people with no earnings and urged the GPA to "think laterally".
When last January the then Minister for Sport, John O'Donoghue, gave an undertaking to fund the current awards scheme it was on condition that the GPA agree with the GAA a schedule of proposed expenses, to be covered by the scheme.
That agreed schedule was widely published and ratified last April by Central Council, which is meant to represent the counties through its constituent delegates and which later authorised the GAA to enter into negotiations with the Government and GPA.During the discussions there was little public comment, as would be normal practice during talks of this nature. As soon as agreement was reached - entirely within the terms accepted in April - it was published and listed for ratification by Central Council.Yet still there have been complaints that the whole business had been done by sleight of hand and agitation for the matter to go to congress - this despite it involving no rule change and despite the fact that the counties' own representatives have had seven months since first agreeing the schedule of expenses - based on amounts of money virtually identical to what was delivered by the GAA's negotiation team two weeks ago - in which to take soundings on the matter.
You can argue that Central Council's abysmal failure to keep its counties informed lies at the heart of this particular communications deficit but Croke Park has done everything by the book. Complaints that people weren't paying attention are risible at a stage when the GAA have on the basis of doing things scrupulously correctly concluded an agreement with the Government.
Is there an argument that the GAA membership at large is entitled to draw the line on any issue it wants? In other words just because Rule 11 has read like the work of Flann O'Brien for the past decade shouldn't prevent people from declaring that the ne plus ultra has been reached on this or any issue they choose.
That's possible in an organisation as demotic as the GAA but all Croke Park can do in these circumstances is play by the rules - which of course is never an unambiguously popular course of action.
Does this mean members have been silenced on the issue?
No. If pressure groups want Rule 11 to prohibit the player awards scheme they can through clubs and counties bring forward a motion to amend the Official Guide accordingly.
Until then they have to live with the interpretation of the rule that has been standard over the past 10 years and which was again upheld last Saturday.
According to some, including Tyrone chair Pat Darcy, the association needs to amend Rule 11 in order to accommodate the scheme. Here's the rule in question:
"The Association is an amateur association. A player, team, official or member shall not accept payment in cash or in kind in conjunction with the playing of Gaelic Games. A player, team, official or member shall not contract himself/itself to any agent other than those officially approved by Central Council. Expenses paid to all officials, players, and members shall not exceed the standard rates laid down by the Central Council. Members of the Association may not participate in full-time training. This rule shall not prohibit the payment of salaries or wages to employees of the Association."
Anyone with even a casual knowledge of how the GAA operates would have to agree it's a priceless piece of work - even allowing for the national willingness (indeed, preference) to tolerate laws and regulations that have long ago ceased to have any connection with reality.
The GAA allows players to accept money for commercial endorsements, promotional appearances, media interaction, third-level education grants and generous expenses when overseas involved in certain Gaelic games activities. What could these "payments in cash" possibly be except "in conjunction with the playing of Gaelic games"?In other words the GAA has long taken a view - spoken or unspoken - that its amateurism is to be interpreted as not being paid a professional or semi-professional wage for playing.
The Government awards scheme is based on the GAA-GPA agreement of earlier in the year, which was framed specifically as expenses to defray costs, a schedule of out-of-pocket spending that could legitimately be reimbursed.
By accepting that schedule Central Council formally ratified the payments as expenses, not earnings.None of the above should obviate the need to bring Rule 11 into line with current realities, which clearly permit payment "in conjunction with the playing of Gaelic games". But neither should the rule be invoked whenever it suits just because the GPA is unpopular in certain quarters.

RadioGAAGAA - So how was this whole process done in secret??????? Maybe you should get your facts right first...

Kerry Mike

Quotejesus lads i 've great time for donkeys, i just f**king hate  kerry men

Donkeys=f**king Animals=Kerrymen

So what's your problem. Take a deep breath and have a nice long look at my "Sam" avatar and the number 35. Now say slowly,
"I LOVE KERRY, I LOVE KERRY, I LOVE KERRY". 

See that's better, there's too much hate in this world.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Mike Sheehy

Quotejesus lads i 've great time for donkeys, i just f**king hate  kerry men.

be quiet [Edited by Mod3 - Personal Abuse]

Rois

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on December 13, 2007, 09:02:10 PM
As a point of interest: are there any Club Tyrone heads (or Club Anycounty) who are now considering their contributions in light of last weekend (I am a member but not considering withdrawing financial support)?

Considered and decided to stick with it.  Some great work already done and to be done in the future for all Tyrone Gaels, not just county players.

Gaaboardmod3

Mike Sheehy, I've edited that personal abuse. No need for it.

passedit

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on December 13, 2007, 06:37:31 PM
is everyone in Tyrone a drama queen or what ?

Good question Mike (my head hurts i'm agreeing with a Kerryman).

Where was the flounce when UUJ and DCU, to name but two, went semi pro?

And as for you Gaaboardmaodziggy, your 'evenhanded' attitude to the abuse Mike got first and his response is a further example of the rank hypocrisy coursing through this debate.
Don't Panic

orangeman

passedit

Orangeman, if he wants to be a schoolmarm, he could at least be consistent.
Don't Panic