Sigerson 2008

Started by shark, December 12, 2007, 03:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

From the BBC website

The GAA's DRA will meet on Friday to rule on the objection which has delayed the completion of this year's Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup.
Carlow IT are claiming that Garda College fielded ineligible players in their second round game.

Garda then went on to beat Cork IT in the quarter-final.

If Carlow's objection is unheld they will play Cork. If not, Garda will meet Galway-Mayo IT in the semi-finals. UUJ have already qualified for the decider.

Higher Education Council chairman John Devaney is optimistic that the final will be played within the next fortnight.

"Because of the provincial under 21 championships, it would only be possible to play one game a week, but hopefully we can complete the Sigerson in two weeks," said Devaney.

Zulu

This is a scandal, we have 2 teams waiting in a kind of limbo for their unknown opponents and 3 teams preparing for a game they're not sure they'll be playing in. Final year exams are coming down the line for many of these players, the IC scene is back in full swing so many of these lads are being pull from pillar to post at an important time in their lives. As someone who has been involved in the University scene I can vouch for the complete incompetence of the national set up there. There is little accountability and the eligibility rules for players are far from clear and this at a time when most Universities have full time development officers employed there. Infuriating.

Uladh

What should have been done zulu?

Zulu

QuoteWhat should have been done zulu?

Well Uladh, the eligibility rules for players should be clear cut and simple, I personally think there should be both an age limit on players and a limit on the number of years you can play Sigerson. And you should have to enter a panel of 40 players (max) by the start of December who can represent your college in the Sigerson detailing how they are eligible. For example on your list player one is John Doe, 2nd year Law, age 19, student number ******* with accompanying proof of his enrolment is said course. The relevant authorities can go through each player and if anything seems out of place, they investigate it before the Sigerson starts. If colleges are found to have deliberately tried to play an ineligible player they are thrown out of the competition for that year.

Our Nail Loney

Age limits wouldnt be fair on any mature students. How many years would you restrict players to?

Zulu

That's true ONL but often the problem in the GAA is that we try to be all things to all men. The competition was orginally created for students i.e. 18-22 year olds (approx.) I don't think that preventing career students or IC fly by nights playing is such a bad thing. I'd put the age limit at 26 and restrict the number of years for playing to 6. That covers a 4 under-degree and a 2 year masters/post grad.

AZOffaly

When I was playing (although I never played college ball), there was awful abuses going on. Athlone RTC were shocking for it. I think Anthony Rainbow and Martin Lynch were playing with them, and I doubt they'd attended many lectures in there. They were registered as 'part time' students I think. Does that still go on?

Zulu

QuoteWhen I was playing (although I never played college ball), there was awful abuses going on. Athlone RTC were shocking for it. I think Anthony Rainbow and Martin Lynch were playing with them, and I doubt they'd attended many lectures in there. They were registered as 'part time' students I think. Does that still go on?

I think it does in the IT's AZ and a few years some of the DCU lads weren't allowed play including Ross Munnelly, so the short answer is probably yes.

Our Nail Loney

What's up with McCavanagh then Hardstation?? Spill the beans!

Our Nail Loney

Oh.

I remember Ciaran O Reilly was repeating a couple of years ago and he didn't play Sigerson all that year.

Must be the cheating poly scum

mockba

You are as usual " Our Niall Loney"      sadly mistaken the only cheating scumbags in Ulster are normally Queens. Who throw shit at j'town , St Mary's , DCU and everyone else in a hope that it will stick and camouflage what they have been up to for years. Wasn't Diarmuid Marsen supposedly doing a PhD (ha ha) 
What course is Niall Bogue and Michael O Rourke doing this year?
What were Dan Mc Cartan a full time Dentist in Kilkeel and Gerard O Kane a solicitor doing last year?  They registered on a one evening a week Master's in Advanced computer learning !!!!, which they never attended , never sat exams, never graduated.   Never mind Mc Gourty – seven years at Queens , 3 as a full time sabbatical officer in the students union.
Of course repeat student are allowed to play.  Sure Justin mc Nulty took eight years to get his degree.
For your information young Colm Cavanagh had to repeat his first year.  He had to apply to Croke Park in person and receive permission to play before 31st Oct.  Which he did.

The whole Country knows what queens are up to, especially last year.  So if you want to look for shit in future I suggest you look a bit closer to home.

Uladh

It's a bit of a tainted Sigerson now anyway. If it's not fought for and won through the traditionally gruelling Sigerson weekend tis not the same.

orangeman

What were Dan Mc Cartan a full time Dentist in Kilkeel and Gerard O Kane a solicitor doing last year?  They registered on a one evening a week Master's in Advanced computer learning !!!!, which they never attended , never sat exams, never graduated

This must be a first in university tactics ! This was never heardtell of before ? What next ? Jesus (Jim Mc Guiness ) making a comeback in this years final ? Especially at Easter, it's a possibility !

mockba

Just forthe record "orangeman" The much maligned jim mc guinness spent 5 years at third level, much less than many others.  2 years at Tralee IT doing a certificate in Sport science, which enabled him to gain entry to the three year degree in Sports Studies at UUJ.  He graduated with a 2:1 and I am told is doing well.  You should also know that jim started late at third level due to a very tragic car accident in which he was injured and his brother was killed.  I have no doubt Jim will be a coach for the future.

J70

Quote from: mockba on March 22, 2008, 01:39:17 PM
Just forthe record "orangeman" The much maligned jim mc guinness spent 5 years at third level, much less than many others.  2 years at Tralee IT doing a certificate in Sport science, which enabled him to gain entry to the three year degree in Sports Studies at UUJ.  He graduated with a 2:1 and I am told is doing well.  You should also know that jim started late at third level due to a very tragic car accident in which he was injured and his brother was killed.  I have no doubt Jim will be a coach for the future.

You're right, Jim gets a hard time on this board, where everyone ignores the fact that he was in his mid-20s before he headed to college. I don't know if his reasons for delaying were because of the accident though. It took place shortly after the 1998 Ulster Final, while he had been in the Donegal squad since he was a teenager in 1992. I never thought he was quite as good for Donegal for quite a while after that (understandable, if so) - he had been awesome and our best player in that Ulster championship.