DIT v DCU 2pm., Grangegorman
NUI Galway v Queen's University 2pm, Mullahoran, Co. Cavan
Cork IT v UCD 3pm, Cork IT pitch
IT Sligo v UUJ 2pm, IT Sligo pitch
St. Mary's Belfast v UL 2pm, DCU Sportsgrounds
IT Tralee v NUI Maynooth 2pm, Tralee
GMIT v Waterford IT 2pm, Galway
Carlow IT v Garda TC 2pm, Carlow IT

Some cracking ties there. it's a pity that some of the best football you are likely to see in 2008 is played on wednesday afternoons with next to noone in attendance.

DIT V DCU would be a tight affair had vaughan & cian ward not been injured
Sligo may have lost most of their stars but they won't make it easy for the poly down there
Queens V UCG could be the tie of the round with armstrong and clancy a handful for any defence
CIT with sheehan and o'sullivan could have too much fire power for UCD
UL could well cause the upset of the round with St mary;s being many people's dark horses for the competition
The last game, Carlow Vs the guards , will be interesting. in theory the guards, with o'mahony and cussen should have too much but looking at the carlow lineout in the indo last week they seem to have roped a fair nit of talent in. the prospect of making the weekend as hosts could be a big carrot for them.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Uladh on February 12, 2008, 03:35:20 PM
Quote from: laoisgaa on February 12, 2008, 01:46:21 PM
WEDNESDAY 13th FEBRUARY
Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup Round 2
(Extra-time if necessary)
DIT v DCU 2pm., Grangegorman
NUI Galway v Queen's University 2pm, Mullahoran, Co. Cavan
Cork IT v UCD 3pm, Cork IT pitch
IT Sligo v UUJ 2pm, IT Sligo pitch
St. Mary's Belfast v UL 2pm, DCU Sportsgrounds
IT Tralee v NUI Maynooth 2pm, Tralee
GMIT v Waterford IT 2pm, Galway
Carlow IT v Garda TC 2pm, Carlow IT

Some cracking ties there. it's a pity that some of the best football you are likely to see in 2008 is played on wednesday afternoons with next to noone in attendance.

DIT V DCU would be a tight affair had vaughan & cian ward not been injured
Sligo may have lost most of their stars but they won't make it easy for the poly down there
Queens V UCG could be the tie of the round with armstrong and clancy a handful for any defence
CIT with sheehan and o'sullivan could have too much fire power for UCD
UL could well cause the upset of the round with St mary;s being many people's dark horses for the competition
The last game, Carlow Vs the guards , will be interesting. in theory the guards, with o'mahony and cussen should have too much but looking at the carlow lineout in the indo last week they seem to have roped a fair nit of talent in. the prospect of making the weekend as hosts could be a big carrot for them.

Why do some ties give home advantage to one or the other, while others are at neutral venues? Are some colleges subject to 'home and away' agreements?

Example, I'm sure UCG would like to have Queen's in Galway, and Saint Mary's would probably love UL to travel to Belfast. Can't be to do with distance as Waterford IT are heading all the way up to Galway, and Maynooth are heading to Tralee.

Uladh

It is something to do with distance i think az, but not sure of the ins and outs?

maybe colín could help with this one?

corn02

I am sure he could, wonder what match he was at today?

Zulu

QuoteWhy do some ties give home advantage to one or the other, while others are at neutral venues? Are some colleges subject to 'home and away' agreements?

It's related to distance alright, if the distance between the two colleges is more than 300km then the tie can be played at a place half the distance between the two colleges. Though I'm not sure Galway to Befast is more than 300km.

Deal_Me_In

According to Google Maps its 310 Km from Galway to Belfast

Zulu

laoisgaa

Sorry about the delay in getting back to ye!

Aye if the distance travelled is over 300km neutral venues are used.

Was at the Fergal Maher Cup Hurling game between Letterkenny IT and Marino Institute earlier!! A cracking encounter it has to be said - goals galore, went to extra-time and finished in a 5-14 to 3-17 win for Marino.

Off to St. Mary's and UL in DCU in the Sigerson Cup today - should be an interesting tie. Hard one to call as are a lot of today's fixtures. Mary's are fresh from a 10-14 to 2-10 hurling win over Dundalk IT yesterday. Doubt if they have any duel players?

bennydorano

Queens would seem to be most vulnerable of the Ulster Uni's goin into today's games, galway seem to be very strong from what I've heard and from reading today's Irish News.  Jordanstown could in bother too.

Lone Shark

I saw NUIG vs AIT last week and I wasn't impressed with the Galway bies at all. They have some big names, but even so Athlone missed three great goal chances that would have levelled or put them ahead in a fifteen minute spell around half time, and any one of those could have changed the game a lot. David Duffy, much as I hate to praise a Westmeath man, is turning into an elite midfielder while Seanie Armstong probably won't be as weak again, but Matt Clancy is still all about the running and not remotely about being able to turn it into scores, and their half back line is very moderate and can be penetrated. 

If QUB aren't good enough to beat this Galway team while operating at 70% or so, they aren't good enough full stop. 

I'd love to say that it's bad news that Vaughan and Ward are out, but I'll get over it....  :P

As for myself - can anyone confirm that GMIT home games are in that pitch across the road from the college? I presume they are, but just not sure. Seeing as for the second time in two years I've been robbed of a glamour tie in Dangan by that 300km rule.

laoisgaa

Here are the draws with the semi final pairings included

SIGERSON CUP 2008
Round 1 - 07.02.08
A NUI Maynooth  1-14 Belfast Met College (BMC) 1-8
B Carlow IT 6-12 Dundalk IT 0-12
C DIT 1-17 UCC 1-12
D NUI Galway 1-15 Athlone IT 1-9
Round 2 – 13.02.08 Open Draw:  
I D.I.T. v  D.C.U.
J NUI Galway  v  Q.U.B.
K Cork IT v UCD
L Sligo IT  v  UUJ
M St. Mary's Belfast  v  UL
N IT Tralee v NUI Maynooth
O GMIT v Waterford IT
P Carlow IT v Garda College
Quarter-Finals - 27.02.08  
Q Winner N   v  Winner O
R Winner K   v  Winner P
S Winner J   v  Winner L
T Winner N   v  Winner I
07.03.08- Semi-Finals (IT Carlow)
Q v R
S v T
08.03.08 – Final (IT Carlow)

AZOffaly

You have two winners N in the 1/4 finals thei LaoisGaa. Who does UL/Mary's play?

Lone Shark

GMIT/WIT.

DCU/DIT play NUIM/ITT.

ATB,

LS

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Lone Shark on February 13, 2008, 10:54:56 AMDavid Duffy, much as I hate to praise a Westmeath man, is turning into an elite midfielder

What do u mean by elite LS? He sure can catch a ball but needs to work on taking pints and delivering quality ball. Did well against the Dubs, hopefully he can continue that on Sun...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...