"Secret All-Ireland league talks at 'advanced' stage"

Started by dec, December 11, 2007, 02:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 11, 2007, 05:09:15 PM
Buses carrying Linfield fans were stoned in Derry.

And Derry fans returning from linfield stoned in "londonderry"

bingobus

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 11, 2007, 04:55:04 PM

Following on from what Heganboy started on the tax implications for GAA players under the grants scheme how can the finances of clubs in two different countries be audited under different revenue procedures.  This is a serious minefield as it stands unless there is some form of unification of the tax system.  These are businesses and therefore should be held up to the same standard.  If, for talk sake, a player can get more money after tax from a club on one side of the then surely they are getting an unfair advantage over clubs on the other side. This is a simple example I know but is a potential stumbling block, unless of course there is something going on between the two Revenue depts which will facilitate this joining of the two leagues.  If there is such an arrangement then this would also presumably be available to GAA players and therefore this might answer the question that Heganboy raised.

BC1, this shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of existing businesses operate both sides of the border under the two different Tax Regimes. Rules are in place to facility it. Basically, would mean been registered in both jurisdictions and been able to extract profits earned in each "region" so that the returns can be made if profit is earned in the other "region".

Any well manged and run business would be able operate under these rules. So applying that logic, every club that enters this league would be wound up by the HMRC and the Revenue Comm within three years.

Surprised that you didn't know about cross border taxation...was it not popular round Cross  ;)  ;D

armaghniac

I hardly see what tax has to do with it. All the big soccer teams play in European competition, where they are under different tax regimes. Munster rugby may be in a different tax regime than Stade De France, but that doesn't stop competition. For all that your average soccer player is likely to get paid, the tax will not make much difference.

QuoteSurprised that you didn't know about cross border taxation...was it not popular round Cross

Tax in general is not popular around Cross. The proposition that you pay for your own colonisation is not an attractive one. :)
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

stiffler

How many teams currently in the north and south are professional?

this could possinbly be one of the requirements of joining the top division in the new league.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Solomon Kane

1 shite league + 1 shite league = 1 shite league. The Setanta Cup can be vaguely interesting, but I don't see the point in dumping half the premiership clubs in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland into the second tier of football. The attendances at first division games either dise of the border would never justify, or could financially sustain a new league. I don't see the attendances or quality of football rising that much given the competition from Britain were Liverpool, Man U, Rangers and Celtic are a bigger draw than any from either side of the border and a cheap ferry trip or easy-jet flight away. Perhaps the answer would be to extend the Setanta cup.

bignifanatic

I was shot down by some OWC fans when I suggested that this would happen whenever the Setanta Cup was started.  It is the inevitable movement and should be good for the game in general on the island. If it happens though there will be some serious issues to look at in regards to the infrastructure outside of the games themselves.

Following on from what Heganboy started on the tax implications for GAA players under the grants scheme how can the finances of clubs in two different countries be audited under different revenue procedures.  This is a serious minefield as it stands unless there is some form of unification of the tax system.  These are businesses and therefore should be held up to the same standard.  If, for talk sake, a player can get more money after tax from a club on one side of the then surely they are getting an unfair advantage over clubs on the other side. This is a simple example I know but is a potential stumbling block, unless of course there is something going on between the two Revenue depts which will facilitate this joining of the two leagues.  If there is such an arrangement then this would also presumably be available to GAA players and therefore this might answer the question that Heganboy raised.

Therefore, this could be used as the first steps towrads having a single tax system both north and south, or at least some form of equivalency.

NIFan, I am sorry but I think this woyuld be the first baby step towards a unified team, and no matter how you try to avoid it, if you throw enough incentives before people, ie money they will eventually bite.

We will not amalgamate with the republic for any reason. The IFA is here to stay so get over it. I am opposed to any form of unification of the leagues because this is simplythe republics way of taking over the IFA and I for one will not stand for it.I dont think that our leaders are telling us the full story when it comes to unifying the leagues and we need to get to the bottom of what it is they are scheming. First we have the maze debacle and now this? >:(

Puckoon

Quote from: bignifanatic on December 11, 2007, 08:06:25 PM
I was shot down by some OWC fans when I suggested that this would happen whenever the Setanta Cup was started.  It is the inevitable movement and should be good for the game in general on the island. If it happens though there will be some serious issues to look at in regards to the infrastructure outside of the games themselves.

Therefore, this could be used as the first steps towrads having a single tax system both north and south, or at least some form of equivalency.

NIFan, I am sorry but I think this woyuld be the first baby step towards a unified team, and no matter how you try to avoid it, if you throw enough incentives before people, ie money they will eventually bite.

We will not amalgamate with the republic for any reason. The IFA is here to stay so get over it. I am opposed to any form of unification of the leagues because this is simplythe republics way of taking over the IFA and I for one will not stand for it.I dont think that our leaders are telling us the full story when it comes to unifying the leagues and we need to get to the bottom of what it is they are scheming. First we have the maze debacle and now this? >:(

Spoken like you have all the authority there champ.

bignifanatic

Quote from: Puckoon on December 11, 2007, 08:09:04 PM
Quote from: bignifanatic on December 11, 2007, 08:06:25 PM

Spoken like you have all the authority there champ.

I am a member of Limavady and played for them, I have been a member of the NISC for many years and we will not lose our team to the south, I would rather lose it to an all british set up than lose it to those philistines down south, the FAI have proven time and time again they are inept and we dont need to amalgamate with anybody. I also know several high ranking IFA officials and they swear that we are not in any danger. I have to believe that for my own sanity and although I have no authority I do know those who are in authority and they tell me we are safe and that is good enough for me.

Rav67

Quote from: his holiness nb on December 11, 2007, 04:41:53 PM
I'd imagine it would make sense to have more teams in each division, a bit more like in England. To fit all teams in if nothing else.
I have no idea which league is stronger, who would fill the top division if say there were 16 teams in it?

If they are talking about full-time professionalism somewhere down the line and improving the standard of soccer played on a national level then I would think it could only be a 12-team premier division, perhaps 14 at a push.  The northern league would probably supply Linfield, Glentoran, Cliftonville and Portadown with the rest coming from the Eircom league.

Personally I think the sensible and viable option would be to keep separate leagues but have one of the cup competitions held on a natiowide basis (not just for the elite teams like the present Setanta cup).

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteWe will not amalgamate with the republic for any reason. The IFA is here to stay so get over it. I am opposed to any form of unification of the leagues because this is simplythe republics way of taking over the IFA and I for one will not stand for it.

Well that's that sorted anyway!

Quotethe FAI have proven time and time again they are inept and we dont need to amalgamate with anybody.

Incompetent as the FAI are, they are a model of efficency compared to the IFA.

I think the All Ireland league would be a good idea although I've been told that this is just a snap reaction by LOI clubs throwing their toys out of the pram because they have to adhere to a wage cap.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

bignifanatic

Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 11, 2007, 08:39:37 PM
bignilunatic, you describe us in the South as " philistines ", it is not us who are stuck in the late Seventeenth Century.
Do you honestly believe that the IFA cares what you think. Do you not realise that their only loyalty, like the rest of us in this market economy, is to the half crown  ;) I have seen much more prinipled men than the IFA sell out for money.
By the way if you have no objection to amalgamating with an all British set up then I think you should seriously think about moving to Britain.

I didnt say I would be ok with it, if an amalgamation had to happen I would prefer it happen with people I could relate to and had something in common with. It doesnt matter, it is not happening. ;D

heganboy

If howard wells' actions wrt the FSI coontract don't show you that he puts his financial well being ahead of the IFA's then I don't know what it will take to convince you.
Unfortunately the same boy could well propose any negotiation with the FAI if he saw a few quid in it.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

stew

This seems like the writing is on the wall for the IFA and FAI, the quicker this league kicks in the better and it really does pave the way for a unified football team, now that would be a team worth rallying around.

Healy and Keane up front would scare any country and I look forward to the day when we can all get behind one Irish side.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Fishbat

Quote from: stew on December 11, 2007, 10:34:41 PM
This seems like the writing is on the wall for the IFA and FAI, the quicker this league kicks in the better and it really does pave the way for a unified football team, now that would be a team worth rallying around.

Healy and Keane up front would scare any country and I look forward to the day when we can all get behind one Irish side.

I doubt it.

Bignifanatic - Philistines? classic...

his holiness nb

Quote from: bignifanatic on December 11, 2007, 09:15:16 PM
Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 11, 2007, 08:39:37 PM
if an amalgamation had to happen I would prefer it happen with people I could relate to and had something in common with

And there was me thinking we were all starting to get along.

I for one have plenty of relations in the North who I can relate to and have plenty in common with. We aint that different.
Ask me holy bollix