Best Comedy Series/Programme

Started by 5 Sams, November 16, 2007, 08:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Never liked the cable guy so can't really comment but Carrey does nothing for the Turman show (great film) and several actors could have done the part, IMHO it would have been twice the film it was with someone like Tom Hanks or Nicolas Cage in the lead. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

balladmaker

On the home front, would have to go for PJ Gallagher in Naked Camera.  Some of the sketches are hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHGcSMtyQ-E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmRCWb393yE

Gallagher does a top class stand up show as well.

Square Ball

Quote from: Hardy on November 17, 2007, 07:06:01 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 17, 2007, 04:38:56 PM
Two of the best physical comedians in recent years have been Jim Carrey and Chevy Chase, also two of my favourite actors.

Good God Almighty O'Neill, there's something seriously wrong with your comedy antennae. Chevy Chase? Actor? But whatever about that, Jim Carrey is one of the few people who can make my skin creep. A poor man's Jerry Lewis. Who was a poor man's poor ... something poor ...
agree with Hardy here , I cannot stand the guy just an adult version of Macauly Culkin, and I cant stand him either
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ONeill

Some psychologist probably has made a study of these things but a person's likes and dislikes in terms of film/tv must say a lot about them.  I come down firmly on the side of Lost in Translation/Jim Carrey - two subjects that divide people bitterly.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

I haven't seen Lost in Translation, but I think I'd like it - if there's not too much of women crying in it.

I think all a person's preferences in comedy says about them is what makes them laugh. The laugh test is the only reasonable criterion, I'd say, when it comes to stuff designed to .. ehh ... make you laugh. And when I'm watching anyone Rufus mentioned, there's a lot of laughing going on. Real, continuous, out-loud laughing. (I can't disagree with a word in Rufus's post). Same for Tommy Cooper, Frasier, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers and a whole lot of others I won't bother listing.

But when I'm watching Carrey gurning, or Little Britain characters parroting catchphrases (catchphrases should be funny - why didn't someone tell them?) or Mayall carrying on at something I'd have given my kids a clip in the ear for - when I'm watching that shite, there's never even a snigger, never mind a laugh. Just staring incomprehension, mostly.

I think people get mixed up between comedy and ... well, whatever it is you'd call, say Little Britain and forget that you should be laughing if it's funny. Cringing doesn't count.

pintsofguinness

I think people get mixed up between comedy and ... well, whatever it is you'd call, say Little Britain and forget that you should be laughing if it's funny. Cringing doesn't count.
Acting the Idiot.

I'd say characters like Carrey are aimed towards children.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Square Ball

Great, and there was me thinking that I was the only person that didn't find little britain funny.

As Hardy points out the laugh test is the only one, and little britain doesn't even get a titter, nor IMHO does the office, Dads Army was funnier for gods sake.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on November 18, 2007, 12:29:41 PM
I haven't seen Lost in Translation, but I think I'd like it - if there's not too much of women crying in it.

I think all a person's preferences in comedy says about them is what makes them laugh. The laugh test is the only reasonable criterion, I'd say, when it comes to stuff designed to .. ehh ... make you laugh. And when I'm watching anyone Rufus mentioned, there's a lot of laughing going on. Real, continuous, out-loud laughing. (I can't disagree with a word in Rufus's post). Same for Tommy Cooper, Frasier, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers and a whole lot of others I won't bother listing.

But when I'm watching Carrey gurning, or Little Britain characters parroting catchphrases (catchphrases should be funny - why didn't someone tell them?) or Mayall carrying on at something I'd have given my kids a clip in the ear for - when I'm watching that shite, there's never even a snigger, never mind a laugh. Just staring incomprehension, mostly.

Perhaps the difference is then that I'd find all the things you listed as funny but I also find Office/Carrey etc funny too. Maybe I'm easily amused!!!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

Jim Carrey is very good at what he does. It might not be your cup of tea, but I find Jim Carrey on form is very very funny.

Im real glad no one is on here preaching the ability of Will Ferrell. A 10 minute will ferrell cameo in a comedy movie is just about 5 minutes too many.

Edit: I mean when he is the main "Star" of the movie.

ziggysego

Will was fantastic in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back back Puckoon. His deleted scenes were excellent too.
Testing Accessibility

stew

Quote from: ziggysego on November 18, 2007, 05:10:06 PM
Will was fantastic in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back back Puckoon. His deleted scenes were excellent too.

Ferrell is very, very funny.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Hardy

balladmaker

Anyone see that so called comedian on the Late Late on Friday night towards the very end.  If ever anyone died a death on RTE, it was that fella.  Can't remember his name..wasn't remotely funny and had to resort to gutter jokes in an attempt to raise a bit of a laugh, which also back fired on him.  You could just see Pat Kenny wishing the ground would open up with every word the fool uttered.

J70

I cannot stand Will Ferrell! He sometimes good in small doses, such as his cameo in Starsky & Hutch, but any movies I've seen where he has been the star have been appalling. Have there been worse comedies in recent years than that Ricky Bobby/Talladega Nights thing or Anchorman?

On the other hand, I love Jim Carrey (he's the middle one in my avatar for the eagle-eyed!). How could you not find stuff like him doing the "Cuban Pete" or the other scenes in The Mask entertaining?

stew

Quote from: J70 on November 18, 2007, 06:35:43 PM
I cannot stand Will Ferrell! He sometimes good in small doses, such as his cameo in Starsky & Hutch, but any movies I've seen where he has been the star have been appalling. Have there been worse comedies in recent years than that Ricky Bobby/Talladega Nights thing or Anchorman?

On the other hand, I love Jim Carrey (he's the middle one in my avatar for the eagle-eyed!). How could you not find stuff like him doing the "Cuban Pete" or the other scenes in The Mask entertaining?

Carrey was at his very best in me, myself and Irene. That is a wonderful movie and some of the lines are absolute crackers.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.