Cork players threaten strike over selectors issue

Started by darbyo, November 13, 2007, 10:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Since he hadn't one decent football coach with him on his backroom staff for Cork it would worry me greatly that the standard of coaching would be poor.

What about Teddy Mc Carthy ?? I suppose he'd know nothing about football or hurling ??????????

AZOffaly

Teddy is not a football 'guy' orangeman. He is much more into the hurling end of things.

zoyler

If I was a Cork county hurler or footballer I would be staying as far away from Thurles type incidents as possible this season.  Its very hard to see FM or any of the CB riding to the rescue for a year or two!

orangeman

If I was a Cork county hurler or footballer I would be staying as far away from Thurles type incidents as possible this season.  Its very hard to see FM or any of the CB riding to the rescue for a year or two!

FM would be the first man there to defend Sean Og and Donal Og if they get into bother this year ! Ironic that. isn't it ?? ;)

his holiness nb

Quote from: Zulu on February 18, 2008, 12:29:57 PM
while I doubt the veracity of stephenites sources I'll elaborate on my own points.

Zulu, when I made the point that info you posted from your "sources" cannot be taken as fact as there is no proof that they are true, you told me there was no point in talking to me if I wont take your word for it on these matters.

Now you are doing the exact same thing as I did and getting away with it  ???

All I can say is bravo!
Ask me holy bollix

Zulu

QuoteZulu, when I made the point that info you posted from your "sources" cannot be taken as fact as there is no proof that they are true, you told me there was no point in talking to me if I wont take your word for it on these matters.

Now you are doing the exact same thing as I did and getting away with it 

All I can say is bravo!

You suggested I was lying and you never responded to that or apologised for it. The difference here is I don't doubt that Stephenite has contacts, but if they are saying TH is a well respected coach then I doubt their level of knowledge on that particular point. I'm not accusing Stephenite of making up 'sources' I'm just saying they must not know much about TH coaching history. There is a big difference IMO.

Oh and by the way OM I wouldn't let Teddy Mac within 20 miles of a football team.

orangeman

Oh and by the way OM I wouldn't let Teddy Mac within 20 miles of a football team.

So Teddy is no good either ??

Who would you appoint then Zulu ?

Zulu

QuoteSo Teddy is no good either ??

Teddy Mac has had no involvement in football since he hung up his boots, as AZ says hurling is his game and always has been. In fact he apparently told the dual players in a big dual club to pack in the football when he coached their hurlers. For anyone to be involved in an IC football set up they must eat, sleep and drink football IMO. And that is only the minimum requirement. As for someone who can do the job, well there are no standout candidates in Cork at the moment IMO but Tony Leahy would have to be high on anyone's list.

orangeman

his holiness nb

Quote from: Zulu on February 18, 2008, 04:21:31 PM
You suggested I was lying and you never responded to that or apologised for it.

Well Zulu, now you are telling porky pies.

What I said back then was that you cant come out with "I know a fella who says this" and expect everybody to accept this without skepticism, given that the reports conveniently back up your argument.
I wasnt accusing you of telling lies, I have no idea if you made this up or not.

I didnt apologise as I didnt accuse you of lying, you even accepted this at the time.
I did respond at the time, contrary to your claims.

Quote from: Zulu on February 18, 2008, 04:21:31 PM
The difference here is I don't doubt that Stephenite has contacts, but if they are saying TH is a well respected coach then I doubt their level of knowledge on that particular point. I'm not accusing Stephenite of making up 'sources' I'm just saying they must not know much about TH coaching history. There is a big difference IMO.

Fair point, but again you disregard the opinions of someone whose report doesnt suit you saying "they must not know much" about what they commented on.

A little patronising imo.
Ask me holy bollix

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

I'd have to back Zulu regarding the general opinion of Teddy Holland's coaching prowess within the Cork football fraternity. Although I'm living well away from Cork now I still visit often and keep in regular contact with my relations who are all active in their local clubs and the opinion of Teddy Holland wouldn't be great in Duhallow anyway although there is a bit of bias there perhaps as some people would have liked to see John Fintan Daly get an opportunity although I'm not sure whether he would be up to it either. I'd know a couple of the players both hurling and football so I have been keeping pretty close to a lot of this and that is why I stated with confidence about a week ago that despite other previous efforts the players weren't budging on the TH issue as they saw him taking the job as a total break of trust and respect.

I think Tony Leahy would be the obvious choice but he is now commited to the Barrs so whether he would or indeed could do both jobs is debatable. The sad reality is that everyone's opinion on whether Teddy is up to the job or not will be coloured somewhat by people's view on the strike in general although there is no denying he is seen as being very "controlable" from a CB perspective.

I'd have to back Zulu on the Teddy Mac issue as well the guy has done nothing from a football perspective and just because you were a good player it doesn't follow you would be a good selector or coach.

The vast majority of the Cork GAA public aren't that interested what happens with the football team, that is reality as long as the hurlers are back on the road again and that is why the hurlers supporting the strike was so vital as left to their own devices the footballers would have been easy pickings for the County Board.

To be honest Teddy Holland hasn't done himself any favours, first in taking a job when about 5 other candidates had refused to oppose the feelings of the players and now refusing to resign despite the recommednation of Kieran Mulvey.

Zulu

Not a whole lot no, just cause a guy was a talented player doesn't make him a good coach. If Teddy had spent the past 15 years or so coaching football at all levels I'd be more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. As far as I'm concerned an individuals coaching career is more important than his playing career when deciding if he'd make a good IC coach. What's your opinion of Tony Leahy and do you think he can do the job at the moment OM?

QuoteWell Zulu, now you are telling porky pies.

What I said back then was that you cant come out with "I know a fella who says this" and expect everybody to accept this without skepticism, given that the reports conveniently back up your argument.
I wasnt accusing you of telling lies, I have no idea if you made this up or not.

I didnt apologise as I didnt accuse you of lying, you even accepted this at the time.
I did respond at the time, contrary to your claims.

You responded to my first retort not my second and by suggesting that I might be inventing characters to support my argument is that different from suggesting I'm lying about the extent of my contacts to support my argument?

QuoteFair point, but again you disregard the opinions of someone whose report doesnt suit you saying "they must not know much" about what they commented on.

A little patronising imo

Not at all, I just know that the people I have spoken to know what they are talking about on this particular issue. And many of them don't know each other so there is no possibility of them all 'holding the party line' so to speak. If you had knowledge of a coach in Dublin and posted on here that he was poor and that others (fellas who would know) you had spoken to supported your opinion, I'd take that at face value. Moreover if I posted that I heard he was a good coach do you think you would be patronising if you suggested my sources might not be well informed on this issue because you knew yours to be very well informed and they held a very different opinion?

his holiness nb

Quote from: Zulu on February 18, 2008, 05:05:27 PM
You responded to my first retort not my second and by suggesting that I might be inventing characters to support my argument is that different from suggesting I'm lying about the extent of my contacts to support my argument?

I didnt suggest you were inventing anything, just pointed out that unless you back it up, some people may be skeptical, not me of course  ;)

Quote from: Zulu on February 18, 2008, 05:05:27 PM
Not at all, I just know that the people I have spoken to know what they are talking about on this particular issue. And many of them don't know each other so there is no possibility of them all 'holding the party line' so to speak. If you had knowledge of a coach in Dublin and posted on here that he was poor and that others (fellas who would know) you had spoken to supported your opinion, I'd take that at face value. Moreover if I posted that I heard he was a good coach do you think you would be patronising if you suggested my sources might not be well informed on this issue because you knew yours to be very well informed and they held a very different opinion?

Ok Zulu, I've no intentions of getting into a bickering match on here, all I'm saying is you know people who say one thing, Stephenite knows guys who say the opposite. I dont know either of you so who do I beleive?

To be safe I would generally disregard both reports and concentrate on what I know to be facts.

I think thats a fair enough stance to take.
Ask me holy bollix

Zulu

Alright HHNB, you can make up your own mind on who's posting is closest to the facts, and we'll leave it at that.

orangeman

Zulu - I don't know enough about him to comment - what is his record ?

The big question is now this - will the best candidates out there be prepared to take the job on consdiering all that has gone on before ???