Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

wouldnt b 2 bad have a 21st to go to so that would be time enuf..  are u going urself ??

BallyhaiseMan

as of today im going,with this being a free weekend football wise,
a night out in Belfast after a Cavan thumping of the saffrons :P sounds good.

cavan4ever

yeah why didn't i think of that  ???

shotstopper1

That's 6 changes from the Sligo game (Miller).Seems a lot, and to be still sticking with Forde at FB is just plain stupid.He hasn't really impressed there in any of the games and they really should give someone else a try out there.It's strange how they seemed to sense they needed to replace him at FB for the Wicklow game and when that didn't work they never bothered trying anyone else since. It looks like that the management are putting all their eggs in one basket hoping that Rabbitte will be (and stay) fully fit for the championship.

PoloGrounds

The team for this weekend is overall a stronger outfit than appeared against Sligo.
It truely was an awful game.Although gunner is a major loss in the half back line it is good to see Hannon back playing.
Not too sure about Crowe,he apparently looked good in the early McKenna Cup games so deserves his chance.Although Flanagan is a good prospect he is on the small side and we need more strength all over the field.

Mulvey in for Walshe should prove interesting.We are struggling badly to get a 2nd midfielder and I fear Mulvey is another impact player as opposed to one who can do it for a full 70 mins.

In the forwards Cullivan is our shining light, a great prospect but I echo the sentiments re flogging him at this early stage in his career.Mackey was poor the last time out and reports of his performance in the U21 match do not read well.I dont think he is going to be up to it at inter county level

Cunningham had performed quite well in the early games but was poor last time out so I think Galligan coming in fresh with an opportunity to impress cant weaken the half forward line

Overall I think we should take this one by 5/6.Would be nice to see Jayo back on the goal scorers list.

Not overly confident re championship time.Down are beatable but Monaghan are looking good.

At least it cant be much worse than last year

55 years and counting!

cavan4ever

Anyone go saturday nite,  who played well ??

shotstopper1

Reports

From Hogan Stand

Two cracking first half goals helped propel NFL Division 2B promotion chasing Cavan to a fine 3-10 to 0-15 win over hosts Antrim at Casement Park.

Cavan had to come from behind to win though after Antrim had made the better start and raced into a 0-2 to 0-0 lead after four minutes.

However two minutes later Cavan got on the winning trail when Jason Reilly turned his marker 15 metres out and raced clear before netting in fine style.

Things got worse for Antrim in the 21st minute when ex-Fermanagh player Rory Gallagher put his captain Mark McKeever through for a neat goal.

Paddy Cunningham helped keep Antrim in touch with three converted frees but Cavan still held a comfortable 2-6 to 0-8 lead at the interval.

Antrim played better in the third quarter and they managed to close the gap to 0-13 to 2-8 but points by Gerald Pierson and Larry Reilly gave Cavan some relief.

Then three minutes from time Dermot McCabe wrapped up victory for Cavan when he netted from the penalty spot after a foot block on Lorcan Mulvey.

From Indo

Cavan 3-10
Antrim 0-15

CAVAN dished out another dose of the blues to Antrim in Saturday night's Allianz FL battle at Casement Park with the Breffni men's win keeping them in pole position in Division 2B.
Still, the four-point margin was a little flattering to Cavan who only sealed victory in the closing stages when Dermot McCabe smashed the ball to the net from the penalty spot after his midfield colleague Lorcan Mulvey was foot-blocked in front of goals.
That score put Cavan five points ahead before CiarĂ¡n Close tossed over Antrim's final score.
After Antrim led by 0-2 to 0-0, Cavan struck the first blow as Jason Reilly turned his marker and from close range drilled the ball to the Saffrons' net in the fifth minute.
The second hammer blow was delivered in the 21st minute by Marc McKeever as the visitors surged to a 2-6 to 0-8 half-time lead.

SCORERS - Antrim: M McCann 0-5 (1f); P Cunningham 0-4f; D Martin 0-2; S McVeigh, K Brady, E O'Neill, C Close 0-1 each. Cavan: G Pearson 0-6 (1f); M McKeever 1-1; J Reilly 1-1; D McCabe 1-0 pen; R Cullivan, L O'Reilly 0-1f.
ANTRIM - J Finucane; C Brady, P Doherty, G Bell; C McGoldrick, J Quinn, S McVeigh; D Martin, M McCann; K Brady, E O'Neill, A Gallagher; C Close, M Rea, P Cunningham. Subs: J Loughrey for C Brady (23), P Close for Loughrey (32), K Niblock for Rea (54), C McGourty for O'Neill (58).
CAVAN - J Reilly; M Cahill, A Forde, K Fannin; M Brennan, E Reilly, J Crowe; D McCabe, L Mulvey; R Cullivan, M McKeever, C Galligan; G Pearson, R Gallagher, J Reilly. Subs: M Hannon for Crowe (19), L Reilly for Cullivan (36), M Reilly for Gallagher (61),
REF - S McNamee (Tyrone).

cavanmaniac

Sounds like another nervy enough victory with the by-now traditional 15 minute fade out thrown in.

Five points from play by Pierson is very encouraging though all the same, less so is the non-appearance of Rabbitte and no word on when his return will be. And even when he does, can we bank on him to stay fit - I don't think so given his colourful medical history.

What did people who attended think of the performance? How did Ciaran Galligan do?

All boils down to a big promotion showdown with Wexford next Sunday now. On current form Wexford look a bit stronger maybe but you'd hope that home advantage and the sense of occasion and what's at stake will drag a big performance out of our lads, akin to the McKenna game with Derry or against Meath in the first round. Besides, Wexford and Meath have to play each other in the final round and one or the other could do us a favour there if we need it, provided we do the business against Waterford which you wouldn't take for granted either of course. ;)

trim blue

Keoghan was on Northern Sound this morning and said that Rabbitt is over his injury but just hasn't played any games. He says that Walsh and Sean Brady will be back for next week but that Cullivan has a dead leg and is doubtful. Cullivan is accruing the injuries now and that is ominous both for the lad himself and the county, but sure we'll never learn. BTW does anyone have any news on John Tierney? Hope Gunner is available as he has been very good so far. Keoghan says too that he was impressed with how Galligan played having been out for so long. Midfield seems to be an ongoing problem with Antrim seemingly doing well there too. Whatever about the Wexford game we will need the likes of Galligans size against Waterford as our loss to then last year was a lot to do with the fact that they had big men in every line. Seems that Sligo were again unlucky not to at least draw with Wexford. They missed a late penalty to draw and had Wexford hanging on for the last 15 mins so hopefully Wexfords form isn't too hot at the moment either.
ah sure tog out anyway

cavanmaniac

Cheers for that Trimblue, didn't see a report on Sligo so if Wexford are having a few problems then it leaves things looking a little easier. It'll still be a tight one at Kingspan Breffni Park though.

Good info there on Keoghan on Northern Mound too. I think everyone has the fingers crossed for Rabbitte this year. It's clear that if he's not fit, we're fucked unless Podge makes himself available or Hannon gets a run there but you wouldn't be too inspired by either option really.

Tierney is someone I haven't heard mentioned in a while. The rumour months ago was that he was playing in America and was "flying" and so on but people just put these things out for the craic sometimes I think. I certainly heard nothing concrete to the effect that he was back playing, had lost weight or was fit etc., but perhaps some of the home-based snoops might know something more recent on that particular issue.

It's a good time to bring up the case of Tierney, if it appears even slightly that we're going the same way with Cullivan, yet again another guy who hasn't even made a senior reputation before he's being leaned on too heavily. Tierney was shaping up as a serious ball-winning option at full-forward for us under Eamon Coleman before the bits started falling off him again, if he ever was to make a return in any sort of shape I'd be delighted.

mylestheslasher

Didn't go to Belfast but listened to it on Northern Sound for my sins. As far as I can gather from listening to that lunatic Tynan is that we were just slightly the better team. Very worryingly we seemed to lose midfield 40/60 throughout the game with Antrims McCann running riot. It also seemed that Antrim were pissing through our half back line. I think we were saved by a very poor Antrim full back line that leaks goals and the fact that we got goals at vital times is what won this game. As I suspected the lack of gaynor is starting to show, I don't think chesty is as good in that position as Gaynor. According to Tynan Galligan played well. Crowe was taken off after only 15/20 minutes and replaced by Hannon. No mention if he was injured. Hannon supposedly played well. I think it will be a big struggle against Wexford next w'end and I am more hopeful than confident. One win is all we need to get us over the line so hopefully the team will pull a big performace out.

To end here is a line from Tynan "Antrim are the only county in Ireland, if not in whole world, to contest two all irelands in the same year"????

cavanmaniac

The best example of legendary Tynan-esque bullshittery came when we were playing Limerick in the qualifiers under Mattie Kerrigan. We'd lose the replay in Breffni but in the drawn match it was in extra time and Peter Reilly had a late free to level it. As he was addressing the kick Tynan launched into some atypical nonsensical shpiel about Mickey someone or other who'd played for Limerick against Cavan in a minor game in Ringaskiddy in 1924 the same day Mick Collins wore brown shoes instead of black for the first time because he had a piseog about that although he had a fondness for turnips after his grandmother who's own mother was from near Killeshandra yadda yadda yadda, all the while not telling us all at home in Cavan with out tongues hanging out, if Reilly had saved a draw. The crowd cheered in the background and we were left to wonder was it our fans or Limerick's. Eventually Tynan came back from Useless Information Waffle Waffle la-la Land to tell us the entirely incidental info that Reilly had in fact tapped over the free and Cavan had a draw.

I tell you, the man wants shooting sometimes. Always rambling with total bullshit info nobody wants to hear instead of talking about the match.

BallyhaiseMan

Northern Sound seriously need some new Match commentators alright,didnt make it down to Casement as was otherwise occupied.
that man tynan makes me want to pull my hair out.  >:(

shotstopper1

Tynan's a dose alright, but at least now he's telling us the score more often.Jaysus there was a time there that he could go through the whole game and only give the score at half-time and full-time and even these he got wrong.I do believe that Northern Sound got a number of complaints about this and he has sorted his act out on this aspect.Why commentators fell they need to do a MO'M when they can't is beyond me.All they need to do is a bit of homework on the two squads and tell us whats happening on the field.For a man who's being commentating on Cavan games this last number of years he seems to find it difficult to pick out the players.(Maybe his eyesight isn't the best).On Sat when Cullivan got injured he picked him out through a process of elimination(it's Dermot McCabe no its not it Mckeever no its not and so forth) ,surely any spectator that was there with a decent vantage point would've known who it was in a few seconds.

cavan4ever

Wexford game is Sunday according to Aertel.  I though it was fixed to be on saturday evening.