Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

rodney trotter

Went with Lyng , didn't notice him going. Last gasp stuff. It was 12-11 scoreline playing tricks on me.

Cavan Gaels have gone 2 years without a Senior Championship, good for other teams to break through and not have it as boring as the Armagh Championship or Antrim.

Itchy

I hope the Nagh can get focused again for Ulster. Roslea are beatable and if they can do that they will be in the semi. Great to see a team win their 1st senior and not the Gaels again although I see on twitter many of the young Gaels lads being very gracious in defeat.

cavanmaniac

A change is as good as a rest. I wonder how the Castlerahan lads are feeling now after seeing this what-might-have-been?

Hopefully Ballinagh will give Ulster a rattle now...but I expect they might find it difficult to re-calibrate their ambitions in the wake of this historic win. Fair play to them anyway.

rodney trotter

Roslea game will be played in Enniskillen, if they were to get past Roslea they would be meet St Galls or the Donegal Champions in Semi.

Roslea would be a decent side, but I saw on another thread where Seamus and Sean Quigley both got straight red cards in a League Semi yesterday, which would rule them out of Ulster Club I'd imagine. Got 1-10 between them in Fermanagh championship final. I couldn't see Ballinagh getting past Galls though if they get that far but who know's.

packiedevlin

Well done to Ballinagh, thoroughly deserved yesterday and good call Rodney, you said it would be close.
They nearly lost it though and you'd have to question Reilly and the management team on the bringing on the comedy show Gaynor, they were in total control until that point and when he came on they lost focus and were nearly caught out. This fella should be one of the best players in the county but hes completely lost his way and all he wanted to do was fight, poor decision bringing him on.
The Gaels were very poor. Why was Maloney-Derham full back against McDermott? Very strange decision. Also bringing on players that had played very little senior football e.g. Gavin Duffy, Sean Reilly. Crotty starting as well (played very little) and possibly lucky not to get a second yellow.
Tough year and a half for Seanie, 2 counties, 3 clubs (incl. hurling) and no silverware, where does he go next ....

comeysfield

Huge win for the Nagh and fair play. Also well done to Reilly as manager two county championships with two clubs. In fairness I think Gaynor can count himself a little unlucky to have got the two Yellows.  A great display by Podge at the middle of the field showed real heart. Ballinagh must have won every 50/50 ball also Eamonn Reilly on the wing was strange. The gaels setup was all a bit strange. Huge congratulations to Ballinagh, just could not understand why more quick ball did not go to inside Gaels line. Also Paul O'Connor going off was a loss but they should have been able to get over that

rodney trotter

I think the signs were there earlier in the Championship, Lacken should have beaten them the second time round, and lost after extra time, Casterahan beat Cavan Gaels earlier in the championship. Johnston coming back into the team gave more fire power but they weren't overly convincing against Mullahoran in the Quarter finals. Mullahoran started without Dermot Sheridan. only came on for the last ten minutes and without Michael Brady through suspension.
Gaels were impressive no doubt in the Semi but I think people were reading too much into that, they were no great shakes before then, and Castlerahan didn't perform on the day.

Ballinagh beat the Gaels a few weeks ago in the League and generally do well against the Gaels, they wouldn't have had the fear of say Denn who lost against the Gaels 2 years in a row.

packiedevlin

True, the Gaels were doing just enough to get through games. I thought the referees performance yesterday was shocking, he gave pretty much nothing to Ballinagh through out the whole game! Would've been better off with Packie reffing and that's saying something!

tommysmith

That's true they had to beat the gales and the referee.

Fair play to them though they were the best team on the pitch yesterday.

Westside

Fair play to the young Gaels lads they were very gracious in defeat going by their twitter messages. Nice to see.

I saw the Fermanagh Final Highlights on TG4 and everything went through the Quigleys. A different prospect altogether than Seanie Dunne and O'Connor but I'm sure they'd be well up to it. I would imagine it will be a lack of options up front that will be Ballinagh's undoing eventually.

Great to see Podge going well and picking up MOTM. He's soldiered for Cavan for a long time and he's still only coming into his prime years. I'm sure it hurt to be left out of the squad for most of the year (not sure if it was due to injury) but he was there on the line with the team. Delighted for the lad. 

rodney trotter

Both Quigleys were sent off yesterday , in a League Semi, and will miss the Ballinagh game...

Westside

Great chance for Ballinagh then so! I see Gaynor posted a facebook photo of his bet slip. He had 200 on Ballinagh at 7/1. Hoganstand reporting it..

tommysmith