Previous topic - Next topic

which is harder to win

Football Allstar
26 (86.7%)
Hurling Allstar
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

the Deel Rover

Just wondering which you think is hardest got, Darragh o' Shea one of the finest midfielders of his generation and nearing the end of his career has been nominated for just his 4th Allstar while Henry Shefflin still in his prime has been nominated for his 7th.
i'd would  rate Darragh's achivement greater as i think there is more competition in the football. What do you think?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Balboa

Fix the spelling on the title thread and i might, just might take it under my consideration.......

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers

stpauls

i think a football one would be harder to win because as you say Deel, there would be a lot more competition for a footballer, as every county has a team trying to win Sam, where as there are only the usual suspects in the hurling every year to compete for them.

Billys Boots

There have been 5 Ulster Hurling All-Stars since they began in 1971, so naturally the Nordies are always going to say a Football one is more 'valuable'.  All Ulster votes should thus be considered void.

BTW, can any of ye name those 5, without recourse to the beloved Google/Wikipedia?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Balboa

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 28, 2007, 03:38:40 PM
There have been 5 Ulster Hurling All-Stars since they began in 1971, so naturally the Nordies are always going to say a Football one is more 'valuable'.  All Ulster votes should thus be considered void.

BTW, can any of ye name those 5, without recourse to the beloved Google/Wikipedia?

Cloot, Barr, Sambo, Mc Killen & Dessie Donnelly, did Gerard Mc Grattan not get one in '92 too???

Deal_Me_In

The question is not which is more valuable but which one is harder to win. Personally i think that both are restricted to 4/5 teams, Hurling necause that is all that is really involved (with realistic chance of winning) and football because they are never picked from the weaker counties unless they make a significant run in the AL series. I do believe that the football one is harder to win because there is more media exposure in football and people are more critical of players therefore you have to play better throughout to obtain an allstar.

Billys Boots

Quotedid Gerard Mc Grattan not get one in '92 too???

Apologies, he did.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Spiritof98

Hurling is harder to win because of the immense skill level you have to get yourself to to play at the top level, Once there then maybe they might be slightly easier if you get my point.

In the comparison with O'se and Shefflin. O'Se has been a quality midfielder but by no way is he one of the greatest in his position. Shefflin is well on his way to becoming one of the greatest hurlers of his generation if not ever.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Spiritof98 on September 28, 2007, 04:01:51 PM
Hurling is harder to win because of the immense skill level you have to get yourself to to play at the top level, Once there then maybe they might be slightly easier if you get my point.

In the comparison with O'se and Shefflin. O'Se has been a quality midfielder but by no way is he one of the greatest in his position. Shefflin is well on his way to becoming one of the greatest hurlers of his generation if not ever.

would have to disagree there Spirit,
id rate Dara O Se as one of the great Midfielders of all time.

if a comparison were to be made between Shefflin and a football player,it would have to be Gooch,The two most skillfull plkayers in their respective games.

orangeman

I'd say hurling Allstars are harder come by - serious level of skill etc etc needed.

thewingedlady

There's plenty of great footballers around who've never won an all star, eg. Paddy Bradley, whereas most of the top hurlers have an allstar or two. In that respect I'd say the football accolade is harder to obtain.

orangeman

the Deel Rover

Quote from: hardstation on September 28, 2007, 05:21:47 PM
What a stupid question! :-\
I'd say Dara O Se found it a lot handier winning football all stars than hurling all stars.
Henry Shefflin found it a lot easier to win hurling all stars than football all stars.

sorry oh great one :P and by the way you never paid for the last round before the pub was closed
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

the Deel Rover

maybe i phrased it wrong but is it easier for a player to pick up a hurling allstar rather than a football allstar how come in the last 10 years we haven't seen a player pick up 7 or 8 allstars while we have in Hurling
Crossmolina Deel Rovers