"Intelligent" Design

Started by armaghniac, September 26, 2007, 04:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

from the Belly Telly
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/education/article2999003.ece

Les Reid, chairman of the Belfast Humanist Society, branded it "totally inappropriate to bring religious ideas into the science classroom".

He was speaking as two DUP members raised the issue in the Assembly and at council level.

"There is already scope in the curriculum for religious instruction. RE teachers have the classes to teach about supernatural beings and the creation of the universe as they see it. That's where creationism belongs," said Mr Reid.

He said politicians who do not have recognised scientific qualifications should not be allowed to dictate the content of the school curriculum.

"Our education system is liberal and accommodating as it stands," he added.

The row was sparked after DUP MP David Simpson, who is a member of the Free Presbyterian Church, questioned Education Minister Caitriona Ruane on the availability of materials and resources for schools wishing to teach alternative scientific theories to evolution as part of the revised curriculum.

Mr Simpson also asked for an assurance that pupils who answer GCSE examination questions outlining creationist or intelligent design explanations for the development of life on Earth, will not be marked lower than pupils who give answers with an evolutionist explanation.

Lisburn council voted last night to write to all its grammar and secondary schools encouraging them to teach alternative theories like 'intelligent design'.

The proposal was made by DUP councillor Paul Givan, who is also a member of the Free Presbyterian Church.

Members of the SDLP and Sinn Fein opposed the proposal, but a spokesman for the DUP confirmed that both Mr Givan and Mr Simpson's views were in keeping with party policy.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Mr Simpson also asked for an assurance that pupils who answer GCSE examination questions outlining creationist or intelligent design explanations for the development of life on Earth, will not be marked lower than pupils who give answers with an evolutionist explanation.

Wow, that's a great idea. If only we'd had that option when I was doing the Leaving life would have been so much easier.

Q. Outline the phase of evolution that saw the development of land-dwelling species from aquatic origins.
A. God created all things.

Q. Why does light refract on passing between media of different densities?
A. God does it.

Q. What is the principal influence on the postulated curvature of space/time in the vicinity of black holes?
A. God.

A+ in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Probably Maths too. And a generation of very creative scientists and engineers is unleashed on the world. But don't worry, God will prevent the cars they design from crashing, the bridges they build from collapsing, etc.

Hardy

It sure is. God has that covered too.

dec

Quote from: Hardy on September 26, 2007, 04:25:11 PM

Wow, that's a great idea. If only we'd had that option when I was doing the Leaving life would have been so much easier.

Q. Outline the phase of evolution that saw the development of land-dwelling species from aquatic origins.
A. God created all things.

Q. Why does light refract on passing between media of different densities?
A. God does it.

Q. What is the principle influence on the postulated curvature of space/time in the vicinity of black holes?
A. God.

A+ in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Probably Maths too. And a generation of very creative scientists and engineers is unleashed in the world. But don't worry, God will prevent the cars they design from crashing, the bridges they build from collapsing, etc.

All complete bullshit Hardy.

The world was created by the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Hardy

:D

(Of course that's just silly  ;))

Declan

nifan

some people have no idea what science is never mind how it should be taught.

Guillem2

I heard this clown Girvan on Radio Ulster talkback at lunch time. Worth listening to just to find out how stupid the p***k is. Complete idiot!

Here's a link to the show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/ulster/aod.shtml?ulster/tb_wed#
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

theskull1

Great lecture by a biologist Ken Miller who blows ID theory out of the water (Based on the evidence presented in the ohio court case)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSg
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Blacksheep

Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Uladh

Lads, are we all in the same boat?

catholic upbringing and all, do we consider quite a bit of the church's teachings laughable?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Uladh on September 27, 2007, 11:07:08 AM

Lads, are we all in the same boat?

catholic upbringing and all, do we consider quite a bit of the church's teachings laughable?

Absolutely not!
Catholic church does not teach us that the world was created in 6 days, the 7th being a day off, or that dinosaur bones were planted by bad people to fool us into thinking the world is older then 6500 years!!  ::)
My RE lessons taught me that the New Testament was "Gospel", but the Old Testament was to be taken with a seriously major pinch of salt!!
Tbc....

Hardy

I remember being seriously taken aback as a 12-year-old first-year to be told in my first religion class by a Christian Brother that the story of Adam and Eve was "a lot of old nonsense, of course". He went on to explain how it was an allegory of how God created mankind. From that time on, I've understood how people can reconcile science, biology and evolution with their religious beliefs.

Evil Genius

When I hear the phrase "Intelligent Design", I am reminded of the bumper sticker I saw in the USA some years back:

"The Moral Majority is Neither"  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"