The denationalisation of Irish Rugby

Started by oneillcup2007, September 21, 2007, 01:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onlooker

Would it not solve a lot of the problems if no anthem was played for the Irish Rugby team and they just got on with playing the game.   I certainly don't see the need for National Anthems before Rugby matches.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Onlooker on September 27, 2007, 03:52:57 PM
Would it not solve a lot of the problems if no anthem was played for the Irish Rugby team and they just got on with playing the game.   I certainly don't see the need for National Anthems before Rugby matches.

I was about to post that it would, indeed, be a great idea just to dispense entirely with anthems. After all, international cricket doesn't bother with flags or anthems or any of that mullarkey, yet it can be just as inspired and inspiring as rugby, not to mention competitive and patriotic.

Then it occurred that to do likewise with rugby would only concentrate attention more closely on the match itself. And the way Ireland are playing just now... :o
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

oneillcup2007

ive read all the arguements here and theres some merit in a lot of them,  Ill make a proposal not that I think could revolutionise Irish rugby keep O connell happy and stop the unionists becoming sooks.(whingers)
1) write a new piece of thumping Celtic music with Scotch Ulster and Irish traditional overtones.
2) Have words in Irish and in Scotch Ulster -  words which capture the glory, the opain and the future of Ireland a nation once again. The song is wrote in the two associated celtic languages and the rugger buggers can sing it in Irish or in Scotch Ulster.
3) Design a dance based on scotch Ulster and Traditional irish styles. (think marauding celts The new Haka - for O Connell)
4) Wear Kilts but keep the  rugby shorts on underneath.  
(The last one is  :P - the first 3 Im dead serious)

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on September 27, 2007, 02:18:50 PM

Re your first point, though I don't know TIAI, that seems to me to be by far the best outcome.
As for your third point, why do you equate "a NI anthem (representative of Republica/Nationalist and non Nationalist tradition and aspirations)" with The SS?  Whether 99%, 50% or 1% of the population of NI feel allegiance to it, GSTQ is the NI anthem, holding exactly the same place for us as the SS does for the Republic. As such, each should be accorded exactly the same respect - even if the IRFU cannot/will not do so.  >:(

But for the sake of clarity, I repeat that I find your first suggestion by far the best solution, even with Ireland's Call (rather than There is an Isle).
There is an Isle
A united song, unique to Rugby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD0LQgC2ZpQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esluggerotoole%2Ecom%2F
http://www.shannonrfc.com/isle.wav

In a partition scenario, one team/ two countries and  2 anthems are played
One for the 26co. and one for the 6 co.
No I don't consider GSTQ to be a suitable candidate for a NI anthem.
AnbF does just fine for the 26co.

I have an irrational hatred of the Royal blood line sycophancy colonial empire shite so I can't write with any objectivity on GSTQ.
Ulster scotch makes more sense to me than that.

his holiness nb

How about "shut your f**king face, uncle f**ker" from the South Park movie?
Ask me holy bollix

oneillcup2007

Or what about a unique rugby version of Amhrainn na bhfiann
Ill Start 'er off lads

"Shoulders are we"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on September 27, 2007, 04:29:55 PM

There is an Isle
A united song, unique to Rugby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD0LQgC2ZpQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esluggerotoole%2Ecom%2F
http://www.shannonrfc.com/isle.wav

In a partition scenario, one team/ two countries and  2 anthems are played
One for the 26co. and one for the 6 co.
No I don't consider GSTQ to be a suitable candidate for a NI anthem.
AnbF does just fine for the 26co.

(Thanks for the song link; my speakers are knackered, so I'm without sound just at the moment, but I'll get back to it)

Anyhow, no disrespect, but if you're from the 26, it's not really for you to determine what song is suitable to be the NI anthem.
If you're a Nationalist from the 6, then I assume you consider AnbF to represent you.
And if you're a Unionist (or a "neither") from the 6, who just happens to hate GSTQ*, then I'm afraid you're just going to have to put up with two anthems you dont care for - GSTQ and AnbF - in the same way as the rest of us Unionists have to respect AnbF.

Anyhow, the more I think about it, the more convinced I become that playing any political anthem is just a recipe for division; until someone comes up with something better, Ireland's Call  should suit everybody.

* - I should add that I'm no great fan of GSTQ myself. In fact, it's amazing how often I find myself in the loo, having a last minute "comfort break", whilst it is being played before NI football games... ;)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

oneillcup2007

What about al little Ulster scots ditty
Oh Murdie this Antrims an oul stinkin kip
wit weemin who'll ge ye nowt but the lip

his holiness nb

Evil Genius, I note you keep referring to ANB as a "politic" anthem rather than just call it the national anthem of the 26.
Strange, I havent heard people use the term "political anthem" instead of "national anthem" before.  :-\
Ask me holy bollix

deiseach

Quote from: 5iveTimes on September 27, 2007, 05:18:20 PM
How about having the Irish National Anthem for the Irish Rugby team.
Its quite simple really, everyone else does it. The Scots have Flower of Scotland, the English have GSTQ and the Welsh have  Land Of Our Fathers.

Evil Genius

Quote from: 5iveTimes on September 27, 2007, 05:18:20 PM
How about having the Irish National Anthem for the Irish Rugby team.
Its quite simple really, everyone else does it. The Scots have Flower of Scotland, the English have GSTQ and the Welsh have  Land Of Our Fathers.

Er, the Scotland rugby team does not represent two separate jurisdictions, neither does the England team, nor the Wales team.

As someone said, "it's quite simple, really..." ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: his holiness nb on September 27, 2007, 05:33:07 PM
Evil Genius, I note you keep referring to ANB as a "politic" anthem rather than just call it the national anthem of the 26.
Strange, I havent heard people use the term "political anthem" instead of "national anthem" before.  :-\

I thought it was obvious, really. Just as you can have e.g. religious anthems, company anthems, school anthems or sporting anthems, a "National Anthem" is just the anthem of a nation, a nation being a political concept.

The Ireland rugby team is drawn from and represents two nations, therefore it has two National Anthems. It's not for me to determine what the NA of the other Nation should be, nor would I dream of disrespecting it, so long as my own nationality is equally respected. Sadly, that is not presently the case.

But if that is unacceptable or impossible to grasp, or incapable of producing agreement, then I'm equally happy just to scrap the National Anthems entirely and settle for a rugby anthem - Ireland's Call, if need be.

What is illogical or unreasonable about that?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

his holiness nb

Eg, I was just curious as to why you refer to it as a political anthem, you are the only person I have witnessed referring to it like that.

So basically you have again made the point that GTSQ should be played if ANB is, alternatively play Irelands call.

And also suggest that its "unacceptable or impossible to grasp" for me and you also ask me "What is illogical or unreasonable about that?"

Why you made those comments I dont know as I have clearly (and repeating now for the THIRD TIME ON THIS THREAD) stated where I stand.
Now read this carefully before you jump to any more conclusions.

I DONT OBJECT, to GTSQ being played alongside ANB, NOR do I object to Irelands call.

Ask me holy bollix

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on September 27, 2007, 05:13:05 PM
Anyhow, no disrespect, but if you're from the 26, it's not really for you to determine what song is suitable to be the NI anthem.
If you're a Nationalist from the 6, then I assume you consider AnbF to represent you.
And if you're a Unionist (or a "neither") from the 6, who just happens to hate GSTQ*, then I'm afraid you're just going to have to put up with two anthems you dont care for - GSTQ and AnbF - in the same way as the rest of us Unionists have to respect AnbF.

That's not my point
If there is to be an anthem for NI, then I'd imagine that it is the concern of all people living in NI.

stephenite

Quote from: stephenite on September 26, 2007, 11:55:17 PM
But a wee question for Sammy, can you please stop lying and making up stories about sportsmen or else provide the proof re 1) Ronan O'Gara and 2) Darren Clarke's quote of being railroaded into waving the Irish flag.

I will take a lack of response, or a response with no links to back up your claims as confirmation that you're dishonest

Sammy, any chance?