Are the GAA outpricing the common fan?

Started by From the Bunker, September 20, 2007, 12:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

The GAA is an amateur organistaion. This ethos has alway sold the ethics that the players should not be payed for playing and in turn the fan does not have to bear the blunt at the gate of the professional game. The Amateur ethos was sold as "Being of the people" and was part of the voluntary succcess that is so important at ground level in the GAA. This has been all ok in the past, but the emergence of Media, corporate and professional interests have left two very important units of the Association more abused as time goes on, the fan and the player. Both are being heavily exploited. The Fan is paying more and more to see amateur players and the players are being treated more and more like professionals in their duties to play more games, to deal with the media and to sacrafice their day to day paying job.

This clearly cannot continue. Already people have been voting with their feet as venues around the country noticed a down turn in attendances. Players are retiring younger and most players do not want to go beyond club football as they know the unpaid commitment.

Deal_Me_In

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 20, 2007, 12:36:34 PM
The GAA is an amateur organistaion. This ethos has alway sold the ethics that the players should not be payed for playing and in turn the fan does not have to bear the blunt at the gate of the professional game. The Amateur ethos was sold as "Being of the people" and was part of the voluntary succcess that is so important at ground level in the GAA. This has been all ok in the past, but the emergence of Media, corporate and professional interests have left two very important units of the Association more abused as time goes on, the fan and the player. Both are being heavily exploited. The Fan is paying more and more to see amateur players and the players are being treated more and more like professionals in their duties to play more games, to deal with the media and to sacrafice their day to day paying job.

This clearly cannot continue. Already people have been voting with their feet as venues around the country noticed a down turn in attendances. Players are retiring younger and most players do not want to go beyond club football as they know the unpaid commitment.

I think this is untrue, most players would give anything to represent their county especially at senior level, its just most players are not talented enough to play at this level.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on September 20, 2007, 12:39:47 PM

I think this is untrue, most players would give anything to represent their county especially at senior level, its just most players are not talented enough to play at this level.

Yeah, most players would give anything to represent their county and play at a higher level but there is a growing number who see the high commitment it involves, often with major consequences to ones job, relationship and even health.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on September 20, 2007, 12:39:47 PM
I'd agree with that

however, I would say that the cost was never really a factor for people before. Kerry fans waited for the final, while the rest of us were only too get a run of a couple of games in the same season, before another 10 year hibernation.

With the advent of the qualifiers and the big push on to draw fans, it now being demanded by kids that their parents go to support at these games (which is great I think)
...but the cost is quite a lot

ok not for single lads/ladies - or even some married ones. People with a couple of kids find this all adds up, esp from a more successful county.
A friend from Tyrone ( :o) brings his wife and two kids to games, not all the national league ones, but certainly national league and McKenna cup games close enough.
The cost of the journeys to qualifiers, eating out and so on all add up. Then its even more if they all go to Croker for games.
They are not loaded, in reality , none of us can really afford to throw cash away when you have kids.

As the GAA have supposedly secured a new 20million TV rights deal with RTE over three years - which is 8Million more than the last deal, plus income from soccer and rugby running into 6million per year (I'd guess with two internationals per year for each code)
the association could possibly afford to reduce costs of tickets?
I would like to see more family tickets (and the GAA have done very well in the Family section in Croke park for games). I think this needs to be continued and brought on.

Maximus Marillius

As far as I am concerned the whole thing is the biggest con of all times....the amount of money being generated now is massive, and will continue to grow. £50 for a ticket to Sundays match. And we will all bleep out the same tripe....now all together ' sure's its the greatest amateur game in the world'...tom fools....it is only a matter of time before county players are rewarded for entertaining us

Tyrone Dreamer

Ticket prices wouldnt put me of going to a game but I dont agree with the current pricing policy. Tickets are priced too high at county level and it is putting supporters off. At a time when the organisation never had it so good finacially Id much rather see emphasis on filling grounds rather than getting every last penny possible of the supporters who turn up.

From the Bunker

Added to the Fan being overpriced, the player becomes the main victim of abuse when his team loses i.e. "After all the money i spent on you today". Many of the top teams mistakenly (in a professional sence) are compared to Premiership socccer sides, Rugby Provinces etc. Media expects the same number of interviews and fans expect the same level of skill and committment from the Amateur in a professional priced game. This is almost impossible (Without problems to the players personallife). The Modern GAA star is in a strange place, for although he has a high profile that may intrude on his personal life, he like the rest of us has to get on with doing the mundane slog of earning a living in Joe Soap land. What i'm saying is bring the price down, take the heat off of Football mad fans (Families). Take a level of the heat of expectation off of Amateur players and remember where you came from.

Gnevin

From the bunker how much does your internet cost a year?
How much does fuel in your car cost ?

The Biggest sporting event in Ireland only cost 70 Euro for 2 games . The FAI charge this for a crappy friendly, will you cheap c***ts stop f**king moaning .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 20, 2007, 01:32:14 PM
Take a level of the heat of expectation off of Amateur players and remember where you came from.
You charge 0 for tickets and the level of heat surround the players would not drop .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

orangeman

I think we're gettig near to the point where the common fan will think twice about going to matches - you can talk all you like about Setanta etc but everybody knows that you can't beat being at the match.

Gnevin

Quote from: orangeman on September 20, 2007, 01:46:27 PM
I think we're gettig near to the point where the common fan will think twice about going to matches - you can talk all you like about Setanta etc but everybody knows that you can't beat being at the match.
I paid  20 Euro for a Leinster 1/4 and 1/2 ticket. It will be a long time before many people have to think twice about that.
I won't mind spending 70 Euro on All-Ireland ticket every 1 in 13 year sure i wouldn't mind spending it every year

Louth Exile

The GAA has common fans  :D Only messin

Whereas I though nothing of paying €70 for last Sunday because it is the AI final and a once of event that you should be thankfull to get a ticket for, there are other games during the year that are grossly overpriced.

An example: Louth played Limerick in the first round of the qualifiers on a Saturday evening. After abandoning the wife and kids I headed off down with the lads (first expenses is getting the babysitter as Mrs LE works on a Saturday) When we got there the terrace was not open so they were demanding €20 off everybody. Thought this was rich, after making the big effort to travel such a distance to support your county in what was only a 1st round qualifier you were getting stung like this.

I agree with a lot of what Lynchboy is saying and there should be more done in the way of family tickets for croker

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Gnevin

Quote from: Louth Exile on September 20, 2007, 01:54:05 PM
The GAA has common fans  :D Only messin

Whereas I though nothing of paying €70 for last Sunday because it is the AI final and a once of event that you should be thankfull to get a ticket for, there are other games during the year that are grossly overpriced.

An example: Louth played Limerick in the first round of the qualifiers on a Saturday evening. After abandoning the wife and kids I headed off down with the lads (first expenses is getting the babysitter as Mrs LE works on a Saturday) When we got there the terrace was not open so they were demanding €20 off everybody. Thought this was rich, after making the big effort to travel such a distance to support your county in what was only a 1st round qualifier you were getting stung like this.

I agree with a lot of what Lynchboy is saying and there should be more done in the way of family tickets for croker

NO ! Say it ain't so a whole 20 euro ! Holy zombie Jesus. I hope you refused and purchased a house with that 20 euro!
20 euro will get 3 drinks in temple bar if your lucky . 17 litters of petrol . A curry  ::)

From the Bunker

Quote from: Gnevin on September 20, 2007, 01:44:27 PM

The Biggest sporting event in Ireland only cost 70 Euro for 2 games . The FAI charge this for a crappy friendly, will you cheap c***ts stop f**king moaning .

Yes but the FAI are paying professional players to ply their services. There is no unreal expectation being put on the player. €70 for AI is acceptable enough. But there were many cases where people were asked to fork out €45 for quarterfinals this year.

Gnevin

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 20, 2007, 01:59:28 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on September 20, 2007, 01:44:27 PM

Yes but the FAI are paying professional players to ply their services. There is no unreal expectation being put on the player. €70 for AI is acceptable enough. But there were many cases where people were asked to fork out €45 for quarterfinals this year.
Yes and the GAA are funding your club house and your astro pitch and schools competitions .
What does cost of tickets have to do with expectations on players? If the GAA didnt charge anything i'd still expect Dublin to win sam. I've expected it for 13 years nothing will ever change that .