Mayo                  0 0  0 0 0

Section B

Team          Played W D L Pts
Galway               2 2  0 0 4
Leitrim                1 0 0 1 0
Sligo                   2 1 0 1 2
G.M.I.T               1 0  0 1 0

Redgreenery

New Mayo manager John O'Mahony has named his team to play Sligo IT in Ballinode on Wednesday night in the FBD Insurance League's Section A.

The Westerners only returned home from a team holiday in the Caribbean last Sunday but a number a first-team regulars have been selected to start against the university side in Sligo Town.

O'Mahony has named David Brady, who had a change of mind on his retirement, which he announced immediately after the All-Ireland final defeat to Kerry last autumn, at midfield alongside Ronan McGarrity.

Mayo will begin with nine of the team (including substitutes used) that lost out to the Kingdom in September's final - Dermot Geraghty, Keith Higgins, Peader Gardiner, David Heaney, McGarrity, David Brady, Alan Dillon, Ger Brady and Aiden Kilcoyne.

Barry Moran and Ciaran McDonald are unavailable due to respective groin and back injuries, while three Mayo panellists - Andy Moran, Barry Regan and Liam O'Malley will be playing with Sligo IT.

SF v Sligo: K O'Malley; D Geraghty, J Kilcullen, K Higgins; P Gardiner, D Heaney, Enda Devenney; R McGarrity, D Brady; A Campbell, A Dillon, G Brady; M Mc Nicholas, A Kilcoyne, M Mullins.

An Gaeilgoir

mjg

Redgreenery

Am...  :o I'm shocked! Was anyone at the game? What happened?

stephenite

Jaysus, no sign of the result yet on breaking news.ie, is that result confirmed ??

magpie seanie

Yes, result confirmed. Amazing isn't it!

stephenite

Cheers Seanie, did you go along ?? Strong mayo team oout but wouldn't be overly concerned just yet. Early doors to be sure, fair play to the Students.

An Gaeilgoir

Really, well this will focus the minds and seeing that most of the squad are just back from a cruise...its really not that much of a suprise is it.

Redgreenery

It is a bit of a surprise to be honest, but true they are back from a cruise but I would have thought JOM would have wanted to win his first game out! Knowing him the Mayo team were probably fairly sluggish while the collage lads may have been fully fit.

Redgreenery

Tables as they now shockingly stand as on 17/01/07

Section A

Team          Played W D L Pts
Sligo I.T.             2 2  0 0 4
Roscommon        2 1  0 1 2
N.U.I.G.              1 0  0 1 0
Mayo                  1 0  0 1 0

MacDanger

Mini-report as taken from mayofans.com:

QuoteSligo IT 1-10 Mayo 0-9 Full Time

Mayo scorers: A Dillon 0-4, A Campbell 0-1, M McNicholas 0-1, M Mullins 0-1, M Conroy 0-1, G Brady 0-1.
Sligo IT scorers: A Moran 1-0, M Doherty 0-3, A Costello 0-2, B Regan 0-2, C Boyle 0-1, T Costello 0-1, J Murphy 0-1.

According to MWR, Kilcullen, McGarrity, Dillon and Mullins were best for Mayo. Big Mayo contribution to Sligo IT's total as well.

Wouldn't be too worried about the result, would be interested to see how the new faces got on though. Good to hear that Kilcullen was prominent. Hopefully this loss is a sign that the Mayo lads are busy doing weights instead of too much fitness training at this early stage of the campaign.

Mayo4Sam

By accounts on MWR the mayo lads did well for sligo
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

OkeyDoke

Anyone at the game - anyone stand out? Not too worried about result - hard to see the Mayo lads having too much interest playing a college team on a wet miserable Wednesday night

westmayo

intelligentlyerved their win last night, Mayo had most of the game in the first half but only notched over four points for all their possesion. Sligo were a much slicker outfit in the second half, breaking from the back at pace and used the ball intellegentily. The Mayo lads did well for sligo A. Moran was full of running all night, while Alan Costello knocked over a few nice frees in the first half, Colm Boyle looked very comfortable at wing back for Sligo.
Kilcullen might not be the long term solution at full back but he put in a strong enough performance was very brave and got in the way of the sligo ff at every stage. Micheal Mullins showed well for the ball in the first half and scored  nice point, but the Mayo FF line was completely anonymous for long periods of the second half and never really threatened. McGarrity and Brady were reasonable at MF, with Brady spraying a few nice long footpasses in the first half.
Big crowd showed up on a windy night, about 1,300. It's always a dissapointment to loose but when your playing a third level side in full fitness and form ahead of the sigerson it was a good work out for Mayo