The Old Derry / Londonderry name problem

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, August 20, 2007, 11:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 27, 2009, 02:07:01 PM
You can't? You don't see that the Derry issue is largely a Nationalist/Republican vs Unioinst issue and the Charter is about how Republicans propose to engage with those same Unionists as part of the 'Ireland of Equals'?

Just because you perceive it as a "Nationalist/Republican vs Unioinst issue" doesn't mean that it is. I've told you already I see it as removing an insult to one side of the community. If unionists get annoyed because someone takes their catapult away they'll just have to learn how to play nice the next time. It's all fun and games until someone gets a eye put out as they say.

I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make with SF documents, maybe you should take it up with Gerry or Martin, but in my opinion if they are republicans they'd be in favour removing the trappings of colonialism from this country. 

ONeill

Quote from: Donagh on September 27, 2009, 02:22:22 PM
but in my opinion if they are republicans they'd be in favour removing the trappings of colonialism from this country.

That'd be some undertaking alright. No more spaking the English, returning place names to their original and half of Derry back in Tyrone.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Donagh

Quote from: ONeill on September 27, 2009, 02:36:03 PM
but in my opinion if they are republicans they'd be in favour removing the trappings of colonialism from this country.

That'd be some undertaking alright. No more spaking the English, returning place names to their original and half of Derry back in Tyrone.

ONeill

They're all symbolic signs of the English hand on our land. That's what trappings are.

Get the big stone back at Tullyhogue!!

Maguire01

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 27, 2009, 02:07:01 PM
You can't? You don't see that the Derry issue is largely a Nationalist/Republican vs Unioinst issue and the Charter is about how Republicans propose to engage with those same Unionists as part of the 'Ireland of Equals'?

Just because you perceive it as a "Nationalist/Republican vs Unioinst issue" doesn't mean that it is. I've told you already I see it as removing an insult to one side of the community. If unionists get annoyed because someone takes their catapult away they'll just have to learn how to play nice the next time. It's all fun and games until someone gets a eye put out as they say.
You're contradicting yourself, are you not?
If it's removing an insult to "one side of the community" by the other side, then surely you're referring to the Nationalist side of the community being insulted by the Unionist side. As such, how can it not be a Nationalist/Republican vs Unionist issue?

Donagh

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 27, 2009, 03:03:16 PM
You're contradicting yourself, are you not?
If it's removing an insult to "one side of the community" by the other side, then surely you're referring to the Nationalist side of the community being insulted by the Unionist side. As such, how can it not be a Nationalist/Republican vs Unionist issue?

Because the insults are being hurled by one side only. If the nationalists wanted to rename it Dublinderry then it would probably be a "Nationalist/Republican vs Unionist issue" but they don't.

Roger

Unionists likened to KKK yet again.  Nationalists insulted by the building and naming of a city.  Poor wee souls.  ::)

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Roger on September 27, 2009, 06:48:02 PM
Unionists likened to KKK yet again.  Nationalists insulted by the building and naming of a city.  Poor wee souls.  ::)

Roger maybe they should have built the city in England  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Roger

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2009, 09:20:29 PM

Unihabited and green field sites were popular in those days.

ONeill

Main Street

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 27, 2009, 12:07:30 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 27, 2009, 11:44:07 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on September 26, 2009, 06:57:14 PM
'Sectarian' can be political term every bit as much as religious one. I was referring to the decision as being politically sectarian - the motivation is purely political, is it not? It's about asserting/reasserting a Nationalist identity for the city.
My point is that the idea that this move is to avoid confusion for investors and tourists is largely a minor/side issue/benefit to the name change. It's not the main motivation.

For the record, I obviously call the city Derry and would never refer to it by its 'official' title.
By that questionable logic, a majority decision is sectarian.
In this example, a majority decision about a name which has been in general use for generations. A name whose usage crossed all political/religious boundaries before partition.
Yes, but we're dealing with the present reality. That people/Unionists we're happy using a particular name in the past is largely irrelevant. We have to deal with today's Unionists.
Maguire, will you ever cease this endless slithering, answer the simple question and explain exactly why you claim a majority decision to make official what has been practice for many decades, to be an exercise in sectarianism.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Roger on September 27, 2009, 10:27:25 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2009, 09:20:29 PM

Unihabited!!!!! and green field sites were popular in those days.

Like North America & Australia  ::)

Surely Londinium is the Capital of the United Kingdom, as the foreign Roman Imperialists name of the city they built.

Roger

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 28, 2009, 01:23:00 AM
Surely Londinium is the Capital of the United Kingdom, as the foreign Roman Imperialists name of the city they built.

Kind of nice twist to Londonderry though isn't it.  It is a shared British and Irish name which should meet the standards set by nationalists. But don't tell Paisley's crowd about the Roman influence of the name London whatever you do. Or maybe you should, so he'd support deleting the London bit.  But then again that'd probaby mean the name remains the same with nationalist support.  Funny old part of the world.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Roger on September 28, 2009, 01:31:18 AM

Kind of nice twist to Londonderry though isn't it.  It is a shared British and Irish name which should meet the standards set by nationalists. But don't tell Paisley's crowd about the Roman influence of the name London whatever you do. Or maybe you should, so he'd support deleting the London bit.  But then again that'd probaby mean the name remains the same with nationalist support.  Funny old part of the world.

Ya, Home Rule is Rome Rule! Ireland never had as much Rome Rule as London  :D   Surely as an Irishman Roger you would prefer an Irish name on the city rather than an English one(as opposed to a British one), if I was a Northern Unionist I would be arguing Derry is a British name because is a name indigenous to a part of the United Kingdom (not that I agree personaly it should be).

Roger

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 28, 2009, 01:41:40 AM
Quote from: Roger on September 28, 2009, 01:31:18 AM

Ya, Home Rule is Rome Rule! Ireland never had as much Rome Rule as London  :D   Surely as an Irishman Roger you would prefer an Irish name on the city rather than an English one(as opposed to a British one), if I was a Northern Unionist I would be arguing Derry is a British name because is a name indigenous to a part of the United Kingdom (not that I agree personaly it should be).
The name Londonderry has a nice richness of all our history contained within, both Irish and British.  Getting rid of the London bit because it is British is simply a sectarian motive.  I've heard about people wanting to remove the insult, but who really is "insulted" by the name so much so that all this judicial process is required?  You need to get out more. It really is daft and petty mindedness by those pursuing it (never mind those who paint out the word London on road signs) and simply a stubborn response by those actively campaigning against renaming the city.  The place is called Londonderry but call it what you will and whatever is easiest to communicate (kind of the way it was in the 1911 census before there was sectarian intent on officially changing the name) and simply get on with it.  I call Carrickfergus simply "Carrick" or Newtownards simply "Ards" all the time but I know what their official names are and I don't give an aeronautical intercourse about it.  Now if someone decided to change them officially for some Politically sectarian reason then I'd oppose it. As all people who have a vested interest in a shared future should.