Sligo Rovers to honour Connacht Champions at Soccer match

Started by BallyhaiseMan, August 10, 2007, 05:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Sligo to be honoured by soccer team
10 August 2007

Connacht champions Sligo can begin their celebrations in true style following the defeat to Cork in the All-Ireland quarterfinal and one of the first functions Tommy Breheny's charges are to attend is being organised by Sligo Rovers FC.

For years there may have been conflict between the two sports on a nationwide scale but this latest venture is a sign of the times as members of the county team and backroom staff has been invited to Rovers' home game against Bray Wanderers on Saturday night.

During half time of the match, Breheny, selector John Kent and county board chairman John Murphy will receive a memento in recognition of the Connacht final win, the county's first in 32 years.

Rovers chairman Michael Toolan believes that the success of the county footballers in the Connacht campaign is a boost to all sports in the region.

"I have always been of the opinion that Sligo rovers should recognise any sporting achievement within our county, no matter what field or code," he said.

"This is one certainly worthy of recognition. We said we would do it at the earliest possible opportunity and we are hoping that Saturday gives us that opportunity

Frank Casey

Well done..........but if the shoe were on the other foot would the gesture be returned?
KERRY 3:7

tayto

wow, what an honor, invited to an eircom league match ... that'll probably boost the crowd significantly ... i hope none of the boys nod off during the match.  :P

Rossfan

Fair play to them anyway. I wonder how many of the Rovers players will know what's going on though?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

WELL rosfan all the rovers players were at the connaght final. Although it is a money making ploy its a nice gesture all the same. Sporting Sligo together and united which is great to see. I say well done to all involved.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Some of ye are fierce gullible altogether. Such a load of shite.

Paper doesn't refuse ink.

Trying to use our Connacht Champions to boost their shitty attendances to pay lads for putting folk to sleep. And getting praise for it! Some of ye would want to drink a big bottle of cop on.

J70

Because there must be some dark, ulterior motives underlying this if its soccer and Man Utd aren't involved. :-\

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 11, 2007, 10:18:36 PM

Trying to use our Connacht Champions to boost their shitty attendances to pay lads for putting folk to sleep. And getting praise for it! Some of ye would want to drink a big bottle of cop on.

Jesus Seanie I can't figure you out at all. You're mad about Man United but have a fit at the very mention of the name Sligo Rovers.

Life is too short. No reason why you can't follow your local GAA, rugby and soccer teams.

baoithe

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 11, 2007, 10:18:36 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I was wondering when you were going to bite Seánie.

GalwayBayBoy, Seánie has a fairly strong hatred for all things Sligo Rovers - in my early days on this board we had a number of disagreements on the matter.
As it turned out the GAA did not send any representatives to the Showgrounds last night. I haven't rightly made my mind up whether that was the right thing to do or not.
Seánie I think you are being a little cynical as to the true motives behind the presentation. Firstly, there were nigh on 3,000 (reportedly) in the showgrounds last night and they did not turn out to see John Murphy and Tommy Brehony receive a presentation from the club during the half time interval. As you will have noticed during the week the FAI sent their PR people to sligo to raise interest in the game which saw promotion of the fixture running right throughout the week. In all likelihood the attendance will be back to in and around the usual figures for the next home game as there were a lot of kids at the game (again reportedly - I wasn't home).  Secondly, the chairman of Sligo Rovers, Michael Toolan has always, as far as I'm aware had an interest in GAA. His sister is a sponsor of the GAA in Sligo and a fervent supporter of GAA - she now owns the shop you and I would have frequented at secondary school. He chose soccer as his first sport and fair play to him but don't knock him for extending the courtesy of congratulating the GAA team on their Connacht success.
As for "shitty attendances" well Rovers are one of the top 4 supported Eircom League team in the country - you can only judge the attendances in the context of the eircom league and in that respect they are overachieving in my opinion. In terms of your comment on "putting folk to sleep" thats your opinion and your entitled to it. I happen to enjoy watching them play this year.

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 12, 2007, 02:50:18 AM

Life is too short. No reason why you can't follow your local GAA, rugby and soccer teams.

That would be my line of thinking too GBB. Although GAA is my first love, if there was a tiddlywinks team representing Sligo I would support them.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteQuote from: magpie seanie on August 11, 2007, 10:18:36 PM

Jesus Seanie I can't figure you out at all. You're mad about Man United but have a fit at the very mention of the name Sligo Rovers.

Always found your atitude on this one a bit strange meself Seanie. Fair enough, the anti-GAA attitude of some of the diehard Eircom League lads towards GAA would sicken anyone (bogball, Thomas Davis - fcuk off and die etc) but as someone whose started attending Eircom League games in the past year or so, I havta admit I've been quite impressed. Generally its people passionate about the sport they love supporting their local team, a lot like most of us. The standard isn't bad either, Paddy McCourt for example is a joy to watch in full flow.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

magpie seanie

QuoteNo reason why you can't follow your local GAA, rugby and soccer teams.

Among other things I can have no time for an entity that bans young lads from playing GAA. A large part of my life is dedicated towards my club and consequently Sligo GAA. It is undeniable that Sligo Rovers have taken players from the GAA and are from what I hear eager to take some of them back. Sligo winning the Connacht title was a fantastic day for me and many like me. It mightn't have happened if we hadn't got McNamara and Gallagher back. So I make no apologies for my staunch dislike of them. I don't give a f**k who Michael Toolan's sister is or what his interest are rumoured to be. He's doing his best for Rovers which is his role.

I want to see Sligo winning Connacht titles and my club winning county title. Rovers are a direct hindrance to those things happening. That is how I see it.

Quoteif there was a tiddlywinks team representing Sligo I would support them

What part of Tireragh is Fahrudin from? Representing Sligo my hole. Representing themselves and good luck to them for that but don't dare try to compare it to the GAA team.

dublinfella

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 13, 2007, 09:49:08 AM
QuoteNo reason why you can't follow your local GAA, rugby and soccer teams.

Among other things I can have no time for an entity that bans young lads from playing GAA. A large part of my life is dedicated towards my club and consequently Sligo GAA. It is undeniable that Sligo Rovers have taken players from the GAA and are from what I hear eager to take some of them back. Sligo winning the Connacht title was a fantastic day for me and many like me. It mightn't have happened if we hadn't got McNamara and Gallagher back. So I make no apologies for my staunch dislike of them. I don't give a f**k who Michael Toolan's sister is or what his interest are rumoured to be. He's doing his best for Rovers which is his role.

I want to see Sligo winning Connacht titles and my club winning county title. Rovers are a direct hindrance to those things happening. That is how I see it.

Quoteif there was a tiddlywinks team representing Sligo I would support them

What part of Tireragh is Fahrudin from? Representing Sligo my hole. Representing themselves and good luck to them for that but don't dare try to compare it to the GAA team.

You need to get a grip. How exactly do Sligo Rovers 'ban' young lads from playing GAA? Are only Sligo Rovers a hinderance to the GAA or is it all other sports and distractions? Your language and aggressive tone are directly in contrast with Rovers offering an olive branch to a neighbouring side who have brought sucess. As was alluded to earlier, did the Sligo county board do similar when Rovers won the FAI cup? Did they f**k.

You sound like an old school bigot here MS. The world has moved on and 99% of genuine sports people want to see other local sides do well. The other 1% are bitter cranks.

baoithe

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 13, 2007, 09:49:08 AM

Where was I comparing Rovers to the GAA team? I neither expressly or impliedly compared one with the other. In fact I underlined the demarcation between the two by stressing that attendances could only be analysed in the context of the eircom league before labelling them as 'shitty'. When I said 'representing Sligo' I meant just that. You're letting the red mist descend Seán instead of reading my post properly.
Also, by virtue of the fact that it being a professional or pay for play sport, soccer teams will never be constituted by wholly indigenous players. Its just the nature of that particular sport and it is the reason that GAA should not become pay for play. The fact is that Sligo Rovers are a professional (at least in name) soccer team and they represent the town and county in the Eircom League, whether you like it or not.
As for Rovers being a direct hindrance to Sligo winning Connacht titles, that is complete and utter drivel. The only thing that has prevented Sligo winning connacht titles is an administration that has been a shambles for decades which allowed a clique to run the county set up as an old boys club. It is only in 2007 that we have finally seen a minor team picked on merit. That's a joke.
Is it that you're saying Seánie that the attraction for young fellas in the Showgrounds is the money and the glamour of the eircom league? Nah you couldn't be. So how are Rovers hindering Sligo GAA? They're not. If we look at the current set up in the Showgrounds how many of the Sligo born players would make the county team? Not one of them. Connor O'Grady was there or there abouts at one stage but ultimately not good enough. The reason McNamara went back to Rovers a few years ago was because players had lost faith in the county set up, plain and simple. Likewise Phillip Gallagher. And the reason McNamara came back to the fold was because the county board had the good sense to get Brehony into the job. Now the two events of McNamara leaving and his subsequent return came about in the first instance due to a deteriorating management of the county setup and in the second instance due to an improved and organised management of the county setup. It was said that McNamara left Rovers because they were going full time - I dont think thats the case. Brehony had long since targetted McNamara and he's somebody McNamara respects. So by my reckoning both his departure and his return were both down to county board decision making and little to do with Rovers.
Your point is taken and supported with regard to your disgust at young lads being banned from playing GAA. Maybe its happening in the town but I haven't heard of it anywhere else. In fact out my way its the GAA that do their level best to prevent lads from playing soccer. My personal opinion is that lining out for your parish/club in GAA should be every lads priority and I more or less support the GAA persuading lads to stick to our code. Nevertheless, it has to be remembered that some lads just prefer to play soccer.

Dublinfella I've noticed your contributions to that joke of a thread on the Shamrock Rovers/Thomas Davis affair. You're only in here now to try and stir some shite so go back to where you came from.

Rossfan

If Seanie is annoying the soccer loving cnut  Soccerfella he must be doing something right !!! ;D
So you're a bigot if you love your GAA Club and County more than a Professional Soccer club based in the locality.
Give me patience.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublinfella

Quote from: Rossfan on August 13, 2007, 07:59:03 PM
If Seanie is annoying the soccer loving cnut  Soccerfella he must be doing something right !!! ;D
So you're a bigot if you love your GAA Club and County more than a Professional Soccer club based in the locality.
Give me patience.....

No, he is a bigot for accusing them of having an ulterior motive in this and being soely responsible for all the GAA in Sligo's ills. Banning players from the GAA? Its quite an accusation. No-one says he has to support Rovers, but he hasnt got the right to accuse them of allsorts in the manner he has. Baoithe has fairly resolutly destroyed his 'arguements', but what amuses me is the ferocity of hatred of an Irish team of mostly locals making a few bob from playing their sport while supporting an English crowd of multi millionaires. Its bizarre stuff.