An Poc Fada

Started by Feckitt, August 03, 2007, 08:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

Lads the All-Ireland Poc Fada is on at Annaverna Mountain, Ravensdale, Co Louth tomorrow.  If you haven't been to this and it is within reasonable distance(motorway all the way there from Dublin), then you really should go.  I am going tomorrow for the first time in 10 years, as I have been living abroad.

For those of you that don't know, the idea was based on the legend of Setanta who ran from Dun Dealgan to Emhain Macha and hurled the whole way there without the ball, touching the ground.  He went over the Cooley mountains on his way. (He should have turned left at the Lisdoo).  Therefore the modern day hurlers have to hurl there way around a 5km mountain course in the least number of shots.

Davy Fitgerald, Eoin Kelly, Brendan Cummins and many other famous hurlers will be taking part.  A great day out is guaranteed, and it is a bit of exercise to boot.

Not sure what time it starts at!

Lecale2

Quote from: Feckitt on August 03, 2007, 08:58:40 PM

Davy Fitgerald, Eoin Kelly, Brendan Cummins and many other famous hurlers will be taking part. 

I thought your man Harrington won this a couple of weeks ago?

Lecale2

I heard tonight that Graham Clarke broke the course record with a 54. Brendan Cummins was still out and on course to catch him though.

theskull1

Quote from: Lecale2 on August 04, 2007, 08:55:35 PM
I heard tonight that Graham Clarke broke the course record with a 54. Brendan Cummins was still out and on course to catch him though.

Well Graham practices for the poc fada with every puck out so I'm not surprised it's paying off .......eh JC?  :P
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Silky

Down's Graham Clarke did indeed set a course record with 51 pucks but Cummins bettered it later with 49. So Brendan Cummins wins it again with Clarke second again.

laoisgaa

The course record is actually 48 pocs which was set by Brendan Cummins a few years back

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on August 04, 2007, 11:52:40 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on August 04, 2007, 08:55:35 PM

Well Graham practices for the poc fada with every puck out so I'm not surprised it's paying off .......eh JC?  :P

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

In fairness to him, he's been practising on accuracy a bit as well of recent months although he does like to open his shoulders a fair bit yet. Disappointed that wee fatty didn't finally get his first place after all these years.

orangeman

Well done to Brendan Cummins on winining the Poc Fada - he'll be delighted after the trouble he's had all year with Babs  -

AZOffaly

And considering it was his 'puck outs' that got him dropped and all :D

PadraicHenryPearse

anyone have a list of the last 10 years or so winners?