Mayo to Win
36 (44.4%)
Derry to Win
44 (54.3%)
Draw after extra-time
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

ONeill

That's an excellent blog - great to see clips from the game.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

clarshack

why do teams always lie down and roll over against derry in the qualifiers? whos next monaghan?

01, 04 and now 07 - lucky runs in the qualifiers?. tyrone 03, 05 and 07 champions? - something has to give!

Barney

Phew, another one of those days. I don't think 10 points was a fair reflection on the game but we were by far second best. I think being rational we all knew after Salthill that we would be beaten by the first decent team we met. It duly happened. Maybe we won't see the likes of James Nallen, Kieran McDonald, David Brady and Kevin O'Neill in the green and red again. Time has caught up with them. They have battled bravely for us and have given us some unbelievable days.

Fair play to Derry. Well done lads. Great defence and when we had the chance to put ye away in the second half we failed. Your management made the right changes and ye took your chances. Ye will be hard beaten now.

The only positive from our point of view was that our best players were the young lads - Cunniffe, Howley, Hanley - all magnificent. They were the ones that stood up and tried to take the game to Derry. Once players started falling with injuries and illness in the spring it was always going to be an annus horribulus you feel.

One man certainly smiling will be Mickey Moran. We have got what we deserved. The man was treated in a disgraceful manner by our county board. John Maughan shafted before him. They over achieved in getting reasonable teams to All Ireland finals. We have now had two serious beatings against unexceptional teams in the space of 2 months. Our worst championship in years. I'm not calling for a change of management but serious questions have to be asked. The control of the team this year has been incompetent and negligent in the extreme.

ildanach

We were beaten by the better team, i though after half time that we would push on and win the game despite not playing well, but the derry goal killed us. It is time to rebuild now, it is along time to next january before the start of the league. I really do believe though that jom is the man that will guide us to an all ireland. We will have a revamped team next year and now is the rime for some of the older guys to retire gratiously, they have served us well- nallen,d brady, o neill. I do think though that mcd (corner forward/ impact sub) and heaney(wing back)  have something to offer next year. Once we get a settled young spine to the team we will be challenging and we have 6 months to sort these and the whole of the league to try them out.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: armaghniac on July 14, 2007, 09:12:16 PM
QuoteUnreal support compared with the Armagh game. They really came out of the woodwork today.

All the same Celtic Park wasn't exactly full, judging by the clip on TV, if you couldn't get a few today you'd never get them. But I suppose few Mayo people were there and they may have wished they weren't there and Saturday games never really draw a crowd.

At least one third of the crowd where from Mayo

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Owenmoresider on July 14, 2007, 11:05:07 PM
Mayo lads - any truth in the rumour that JOM has retired to life as an opposition backbencher?

No

Tubberman

A 10 point defeat was very disappointing, but I don't think Mayo were realistically 10 points inferior to Derry.
When Mayo drew level about 10 minutes into the second half, they had the possession and the chances to take the lead - Andy Moran kicked some terrible wides, C Mort was also very poor.
We didn't take the lead and when Derry got their goal (bad judgement by Clarke) some Mayo heads seemed to drop. Cunniffe and Kilcoyne going off injured also seemed to have an effect.
Having said that, Derry took some excellent scores, Paddy Bradley was brilliant. They isolated him on Liam O'Malley and he caused havoc.
As said before, the younger lads were the best performers for Mayo - Trevor Howley and Tom Cunniffe were excellent. Heaney also had a very good game.
I think the criticism of JOM is justified to a certain extent, in that he left it until after the Galway game before carrying out any experimentation. But the changes he made since have worked in my view. He is the right man to build the next Mayo team.
I think yesterday in Celtic Park was probably the last we've seen of Kevin O'Neill, David Brady, Ciaran McDonald and James Nallen in the green and red - wonderful players for Mayo, given so much to the county.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Tubberman on July 15, 2007, 04:04:56 PM
A 10 point defeat was very disappointing, but I don't think Mayo were realistically 10 points inferior to Derry.
When Mayo drew level about 10 minutes into the second half, they had the possession and the chances to take the lead - Andy Moran kicked some terrible wides, C Mort was also very poor.
We didn't take the lead and when Derry got their goal (bad judgement by Clarke) some Mayo heads seemed to drop. Cunniffe and Kilcoyne going off injured also seemed to have an effect.
Having said that, Derry took some excellent scores, Paddy Bradley was brilliant. They isolated him on Liam O'Malley and he caused havoc.
As said before, the younger lads were the best performers for Mayo - Trevor Howley and Tom Cunniffe were excellent. Heaney also had a very good game.
I think the criticism of JOM is justified to a certain extent, in that he left it until after the Galway game before carrying out any experimentation. But the changes he made since have worked in my view. He is the right man to build the next Mayo team.
I think yesterday in Celtic Park was probably the last we've seen of Kevin O'Neill, David Brady, Ciaran McDonald and James Nallen in the green and red - wonderful players for Mayo, given so much to the county.

I was at the game yesterday and would have to agree with everything that has been posted on here. One man that didnt get a mention yet was Trevor Mort. I thought he was excellent especially in the first half. Maybe the break will do everyone good,we have a lot of miles on the clock in the past 4 years. A new era begins..........(again)

spectator

Quote from: Barney on July 15, 2007, 10:40:20 AM
I'm not calling for a change of management but serious questions have to be asked. The control of the team this year has been incompetent and negligent in the extreme.

Can you expand on this Barney?

prewtna

ya i suppose the only positives were howley, t mort, barry moran, young cunniffe and hanley. kilcoyne did well too when he came on and put himself around but hard luck on him to get injured.

omalley got skinned alive and i couldnt understand how he was left on bradley for the whole game.

a man said to me this morning that had mayo won the game we would would not have won it anyway! we used 6 subs - kilcoyne, campbell, mcgarrity, gardiner, oneill and mcdonald! any chance one of these was a blood sub??? doubt it tho. seems johno lost the plot a bit on the sideline.

there will be a bit of a clearout of the old guard now. to those old heads we say thank you.

fer fox ache

I think McGarrity was a blood sub for David Brady

Redgreenery

This is very disappointing to be beat by 10 points! I didnt see the game myself as I was away but its a pity.
B Moran and P Hanley sound like they have some real potential. Would really have liked to have seen it.
Plenty of time to prepare for next year. Keep the Faith! ;)

tbrick18

Quote from: Tubberman on July 15, 2007, 04:04:56 PM

I'm not trying to rub salt in the wounds here, but the reason why Mayo had so many wides was due to the immense pressure put on the forward by the Derry defence. They were forced to shoot from impossible angles or positions as they had no choice. You must remember this is the same Mayo forwards that score 19 points in the win over Cavan, those forwards dont become bad or loose the skills in the space of one game. The simple fact was that they didnt get the time on the ball to take a meaningful shot.
I thought on the day Derry were at least 10 points the better side. Apart from that 10 minute spell at the start of the second half when Mayo had a lot of possession, Derry dominated all over the pitch.
In my opinion Mayo are a good side with a sprinkling of some excellent young players and then the older fellas like McDonald, Brady and Trevor Mortimer (who I thought was Mayo's best player). I wouldnt bet against yous next year provided the older fellas stay a while longer.

From the Bunker

Was always going to be a big ask for last years beaten finalists to push on again this year! Hunger is a strange thing, you just can't train it into a team! The early break will hopefully do us (mayo) some good. We have had a busy time the last 3 years and there has been big falls as well as some good scalps. But from team selection etc JOM has been looking to the future once we lost to Galway and the passage to AI Glory was by the scenic route. Being in Connacht and with the large player base, Mayo do not have to worry about the dog fights Leinster and Ulster teams face every year, so there will be Mayo team emerging again. Problem is to rise above the mediocrity that gets us to AI finals but no Sam. Finally, I would like to thank Nallen, McD, Brady and O'Neill for their contribution to Mayo football for a decade plus. Thanks lads! Also Best of luck to our conquerers Derry.

AbbeySider

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 14, 2007, 05:32:17 PM

So abbeysider, what was it you were going to remind me off??????

;D ;D ;D

Im waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too busy reading and cooking to entertain you with a reply mylestheslasher !

:P  :P  ;D  ;D