Sligo v. Galway - Connacht Final

Started by magpie seanie, June 26, 2007, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Having seen the team I have to say Im very happy with it. Ive no doubt now that we will win. We have the strength in depth and Galway using same 15 as against letirm well thats music to my ears aswell. There is alot belief among Sligo supporters maybe not on this site but hoganstand. Also amoung sligo people in general most of whom I talk believe we will win. Just heard Barnes Murphy on ocean saying he believes more than ever Sligo will win. He made great point in saying this Sligo hasnt played to near its potential and thats why most outside the county will write us off. Which I 100% agree with it. Ive been to every championship game except NY this yr since 1989 and I can tell I rate this squad the best in my time.  Im expecting a big performance Sunday..the GAA take note. ;D Sligeach abu.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 06, 2007, 12:32:36 PM
Having seen the team I have to say Im very happy with it. Ive no doubt now that we will win. We have the strength in depth and Galway using same 15 as against letirm well thats music to my ears aswell. There is alot belief among Sligo supporters maybe not on this site but hoganstand. Also amoung sligo people in general most of whom I talk believe we will win. Just heard Barnes Murphy on ocean saying he believes more than ever Sligo will win. He made great point in saying this Sligo hasnt played to near its potential and thats why most outside the county will write us off. Which I 100% agree with it. Ive been to every championship game except NY this yr since 1989 and I can tell I rate this squad the best in my time.  Im expecting a big performance Sunday..the GAA take note. ;D Sligeach abu.

Fair play to you Sligonian. You must be the most optimistic chap I've met in a long time. The glass mustn't just be full it must be overflowing so much that you'll soon need a new glass. ;D

magpie seanie

QuoteThe glass mustn't just be full it must be overflowing so much that you'll soon need a new glass.

The Nestor CUP will do fine!

belleaqua

I was in Sligo on Wednesday and found yee very confident, got a look at the Sligo Champion and there was a full supplement dedicated to the match, huge expectation.

Galway will win this and with something to spare, 5+ I reckon. Call it unrealistic or naive but i think thats what it will be. This shite about playin bad against Leitrim is music to my ears. Best possible thing could happen Galway, Ford must have been delighted heading to training the Tuesday after it. A good indication of this will be seen when Leitrim play Donegal tomorrow, the Galway performance will seem alot better. 17 points on a bad day is to be welcomed.

As for our poor full back line the last day where are the Sligo full fowards to hurt it? Against New York and Roscommon; out of a total of 2-31 the starting Sligo full forward line managed a meagre 4 points from play!!

We will at least break even at midfield and with that supply of ball to the forwards they'll go to town. Theres no way the 6 forwards will be held and with a hugely fired up Armstrong to come off the bench. Meehan scares Sligo and if he gets a while in around the square we will get goals.

I think Ford was right to judge Bane on his Mayo performance and give him the benefit of the doubt. He seems to enjoy the big occasions. Add in the Ford factor knowing Sligo so well and Galway wont be beaten.

So unless Galway have a man sent off and other freak factors they'l win easy. Glad to see Brian Crowe reffing as he has All Ireland prospects and will be partial. Its time certain referees understood that their job is to referee the game as its played not to even up the class between two sides as we seen against Leitrim

magpie seanie

You may have made yourself a hostage to fortune there my friend.

Enjoy the game.

belleaqua

Your right Seanie but I like to call it as I see it rather than covering myself with safety nets. I said we'd beat Mayo by 5+ and feel the same this time, theres a huge gulf in class there. Sligo are a Division 3 side, Galway Division 1.

Id be delighted for Sligo to win a Connacht Title but not at Galways expense, if they do il be happy for them come Wednesday when id calmed a bit!

Bottom line IMO is Galway will be Connacht Champions on Sunday evening

SLIGONIAN

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

QuoteSligo are a Division 3 side, Galway Division 1.

Its not a league match. And anyway, its how the teams perform on Sunday that matters - not what they've done in the past.

myball22

Sligo have reasons to be confident but Galway should be focused after being out of sorts against Leitrim. I think this game will tell a lot about where they are. Weather could be a factor also but you would think that Galway should win but it don't work like that always.

Tatler Jack

Good luck to Sligo - would be good for football there and in Connacht generally if they can win. I give them a very good chance provided they take their scores and do not concede soft goals. While Galway look better this year I still do not see them as genuine AI contenders and I believe Sligo's workrate will make it difficult for Galway to get scores while in the forwards they have plenty of pace to test Galway's backs. If O'Hara and Davey have big games (and I think they will) then I expect Sligo to be celebrating tomorrow night. I don't think anyone in Connacht would begrudge them - even Galway for whom a loss would merely mean an extra qualifier.

stephenite

smelly fairy

I second that Stephenite, don't think anyone in Connacht would begrudge it.. Best of luck! ;D

stew

Good luck to Galway in the final of the connaught Championship.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

joemamas

half-time,

Sligo 1-7
Galway0-9

Unlike Mayo , Sligo are getting stuck in , and tackling hard.

Build up is very laboured, Sligo for the most part on top at midfield. Lack size up front, which may hurt them against wind.

stephenite

Sligo have been playing well and have the of a strong breeze in the second half. Sligo need to win more breaking ball and stop giving away silly possession, there's been a few instances of Sligo kicking the ball over the sideline or straight to the opposition.

It's there for them, ain't gonna be easy though