Saturday 30 June

Tommy Murphy Cup - Preliminary Round

Kilkenny v Antrim, Nowlan Park, 3.00

Tommy Murphy Cup - Round 1

Waterford v Carlow, Dungarvan, 7.00

Wicklow v Offaly, Aughrim, 7.00

Tipperary v Clare, Ardfinnan, 7.00

London v Kilkenny or Antrim, Ruislip, 3.00

You would think a fairly easy path for Antrim,cant see Kilkenny or London troubling them
all the rest of the games are up for grabs in my opinion.
Id have said before the draw Offaly to win the competition without that much trouble,but a trip to Aughrim is never easy,
Waterford with Home advantage should beat Carlow
Tipp are the only team this year i havent seen,i missed,the highlights against Cork.
so cant really call their game with Clare.

Thoughts?

Orior

It all depends on how many of the first team have stayed on for this fantastic (not) competition.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AZOffaly

I wouldn't read anything into the Tommy Murphy cup, as either Offaly will not be interested (they didn't look that interested in a fecking Leinster Senior yesterday), or else will be playing a pile of young lads.

I would expect Wicklow to beat them as Micko tries to justify his role down there.

fearglasmor

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 25, 2007, 06:11:35 PM
I wouldn't read anything into the Tommy Murphy cup, as either Offaly will not be interested (they didn't look that interested in a fecking Leinster Senior yesterday), or else will be playing a pile of young lads.

I would expect Wicklow to beat them as Micko tries to justify his role down there.

The fixture has to be fulfilled or there'll be money docked. Just get out of the competition early as possible and get on with the club fixtures.

Onlooker

Ballyhaise Man, Cavan beat Tipp by 1-14 to 0-12 in the National League back in February.  That should give you a line of form to rate their chances in the Tommy Murphy Cup.  It all depends on your rating of your own county.

magpie seanie

Wicklow will probably be going all out to win this so Micko can say he brought another trophy (a national title no less!) to another county where football was only discovered the day he arrived. A great man altogether.

Offaly have the most talented players and if they take it half seriously should win it but they probably won't.

SuperDooperCooper

I can see the reasoning behind the Tommy Murphy cup to give players more game time against players at their own level as no team in the Tommy Murphy cup could seriously hope to win Sam but they could hope to build a team by winning it.
However the reward for winning the Tommy Murphy cup is not enough as a trip to the states had appeal in the mid 80's but not now.
The winners should be assimilated back into the main championship at the stage before the the q/f - i.e. the winners playoff against a back door team for the right to play in the q/f.
That may motivate teams (especially the likes of Offaly) to really give it a go.
Currently what is the incentive for Offaly? if they win it so what if the lose it so what.
Louth won it last years and what did it do for them?
Winning the trophy and re-entering the race for Sam will as least give you a team brinning with confidence.

Onlooker

I agree completely with SuperDooperCooper that allowing the winners of the Tommy Murphy Cup back in to the qualifiers would be a serious boost to the TMC and would also be treating the teams in the TMC in a fair manner.  It is completely wrong that 8 Counties are, in effact, barred from a second chance in the Championship.  As a Tipperary supporter, we have played some excellent teams in the qualifiers and done quite well against them e.g. Mayo (Connacht Champions), Donegal (All Ireland Semi Finals), Westmeath (Leinster Champions at the time).   Why should Division 4 NFL teams be deprived of these type of games, particularly when NFL matches are played in February and March.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Onlooker on June 25, 2007, 07:23:59 PM
Ballyhaise Man, Cavan beat Tipp by 1-14 to 0-12 in the National League back in February.  That should give you a line of form to rate their chances in the Tommy Murphy Cup.  It all depends on your rating of your own county.

i dont rate my own county at all,Onlooker,Cavan football is in complete dissarray,
if i remember correctly,You completely outplayed us in the 2nd half that day,Only we were so far ahead at half time you couldnt catch us.

I fully agree with letting the Tommy Murphy winners back in the Qualifiers,it would mean the teams have something real to play for.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 26, 2007, 09:52:46 AM
Wicklow will probably be going all out to win this so Micko can say he brought another trophy (a national title no less!) to another county where football was only discovered the day he arrived. A great man altogether.

Offaly have the most talented players and if they take it half seriously should win it but they probably won't.

Ya was talking to a Wicklow player at the weekend, they defo going to be taking the Tommy Murphy Cup serious.

magpie seanie

QuoteWhy should Division 4 NFL teams be deprived of these type of games, particularly when NFL matches are played in February and March.

This is a very good point. I think my own county is a case in point. We'd be very much a team that plays well on the harder ground and struggles otherwise. We nearly slipped into Div 4 ourselves but would give a bloody good game to and possibly beat all but the top 5 or 6 in the summer.

As for letting the TM Cup winners back in I don't see how it is practical and that's the biggest problem.

armaghniac

How come the thread on the Rackard cup is generally straight up comment on who will win, and the prospects of Roscommon, Armagh, Sligo etc, when much of the comment on this thread is sneering in tone? Why is it good for a team to win the Rackard cup, but stupid for a team to win the Murphy cup? Every county has junior and intermediate championships, you don't hear comments to the effect that these teams shouldn't bother, or that the winners of the intermediate championship should get into the quarter finals of the senior championship.

The time difference between the league and the championship is fair comment, but I don't see why Wicklow shouldn't go all out to win the TM cup, they have won little else.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Lone Shark

Quote from: armaghniac on June 26, 2007, 03:58:01 PM
How come the thread on the Rackard cup is generally straight up comment on who will win, and the prospects of Roscommon, Armagh, Sligo etc, when much of the comment on this thread is sneering in tone? Why is it good for a team to win the Rackard cup, but stupid for a team to win the Murphy cup? Every county has junior and intermediate championships, you don't hear comments to the effect that these teams shouldn't bother, or that the winners of the intermediate championship should get into the quarter finals of the senior championship.

The time difference between the league and the championship is fair comment, but I don't see why Wicklow shouldn't go all out to win the TM cup, they have won little else.

Because the Rackard Cup fits in with the overall structure - you win that, you progress up the Christy Ring and then you look to go from there. The whole things is heirarchical and logical. The Tommy Murphy cup is a dead end, a tin pot cup that means nothing in and of itself. If it was a junior championship then teams would compete - but it's not, it's a farce that no-one cares about - except Wicklow, it appears.

armaghniac

The solution then is to use Div 4 as a way of seeding the TM for year one, but to subsequently allow the winners into next years Sam regardless of league position. How then would you decide who goes into the TM? Teams that lose their championship game and qualifier game could be candidates, but that could include Armagh or Mayo! Because of the uneven nature of the championship draw it would be hard to devise a rule for this that would be widely accepted.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Blue06

The winners of the TM Cup should be promoted to the qualifiers next season irrespective of what division they are in.