Kerry v Cork - Munster Final

Started by Kerry Mike, June 25, 2007, 09:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperDooperCooper

Everyone is proud of their history, Kerry no less than everyone else. 34 All-Ireland is a fantastic haul.
I grew up to stories of Kerry winning All-Irelands, stories from games long since played, like 1955 and the 'ghost' trains to Dublin.
What annoys most Kerry people is the constant sniping that we win soft all-Irelands, the wins of 97,'00,'04 & '06 were all considered soft by posters on this board.
Our view is that one All-Ireland is as good as the next no matter who you beat on the way. You have to be there to win the trophy.
The belittling of Munster football is wrong, just wrong. Cork are as good as anything in Ulster, Connaught or Leinster and Limerick pushed Derry all the way in a few qualifier games.
Connaught has two teams who are at a far higher standard than everyone else.
Ulster has two teams at a far higher standard than everyone else (Donegal are below that standard and we will see that Monaghan are well below that standard in two weeks time).
Leinster football has never been as low - no all-Ireland appearance since 2001 and no win since 1999.
But why are northern posters only willing to have a go at Munster football and Kerry in particular?
Christ this is a thread on the Munster football final yet it has turned into yet another Kerry v Ulster thread - this is beyond annoying at this stage.
If you had to pick a list of potential all-Ireland winners Munster would have as many as any other province Kerry, Cork, Mayo, Galway, Tyrone, Armagh, Dublin - the champion will come from that list.

brokencrossbar1

I am looking forward to this game.  As an honorary Cork man and a man who loves watching kerry playing it makes a fascinating match up.  

Talking to people around about they really fancy Cork.  They reckon that Canty and Spillane will hold the centre of the defence very tightly and that the Kerry boys will not get within close scoring range.  The half back line is very strong for Cork and the midfield has the potential to dominate.  However, they are two forwards away from being serious contenders.  Masters has great accuracy but is slow and does not like going for the dirty ball.  Cussen is no Donaghy, but his physical presence could cause problems.  The rest of the forwards have ability but they play very individualist games and need to get a pattern of play going if they are to be serious contenders.  

The one thing that is in Cork's favour is that they love beating Kerry in Killarney above all other places and no doubt Billy will be drumming that into them.  

I think Cork may sneak it but a lot will depend on whether Masters has his shooting boots on.

BTW all the other Northern lads don't turn this into a north versus Kerry shoot out on the thread.  It doesn't do any good.  A bit of perspective, in the so called era of dominace of Ulster teams in the last ten years, kerry have still more AI's than Armagh and Tyrone together.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on June 29, 2007, 09:30:58 AM
What annoys most Kerry people is the constant sniping that we win soft all-Irelands, the wins of 97,'00,'04 & '06 were all considered soft by posters on this board.
Our view is that one All-Ireland is as good as the next no matter who you beat on the way. You have to be there to win the trophy.
The belittling of Munster football is wrong, just wrong.

It would seem to me SDC, that that's the price of success, unfortunately. You get it about Munster being 'weak', we get it about "puke" football, etc That's not to excuse it either, but that's the sad reality -- success will breed resentment, but winners should be above all that. It's absolutely correct to say that  it doesn't matter who's beaten to win SAM, one All-Ireland is as good and as valid as the next, however, that is not to say that some aren't sweeter than others; but that's all it is, sweetness, not validity.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Kerry Mike

QuoteThe one thing that is in Cork's favour is that they love beating Kerry in Killarney above all other places and no doubt Billy will be drumming that into them.

We havent beaten Cork in Killarney in a Munster final in 21 years, hard to believe I know but there has been a lot of semi finals and a few draws in Killarney as well as Cork having a good win record in finals there.

So all to play for, I cant make out much between them, both teams have their strengths and it will be a game for strong men.

I do think if we can get at least equality of ball in the middle that we have more scoring forwards than Cork, and if we can keep Masters down to a handfull of points we will be well on outr way, big game for Marc O'Se or possibly evern Padraig Reidy in the corner.

As long as we don't see a headline on Monday like "Master(s) Bates Kerry" I will be happy.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

SuperDooperCooper

While Kerry haven't beaten Cork in a Munster final in Killarney since '86, Cork haven't beaten Kerry at All since '95 in Killarney. Seems set up for another draw so.
As I said earlier Cork cleaned us out at midfield in Munster last year and won the game, if we get 50 % possession we win, how much more than 50% determines our victory margin.
Where are my natch up and who I see having the advantage:

Teams
P'Oshea v D Murphy
One has been there done that and has the t-shirt the other is a novice back up goalie - adv Kerry.

Reidy v O'Connor
O'Connor is a shoot on site merchant while Reidy is a tight marker in his first final. Interestingly they are from neighbouring club across the Cork Kerry border. Adv Cork.
O'Sullivan v Cussen
Anyone at the semi Final replay in '02 would have seen Tom struggle at full back v Corkery, while Cussen is no Corkery he has the height - experience to win. Adv Kerry.
O'Se v Masters
Masters won in Munster O'Se in Croke park, for Cork to win Masters must be scoring from play, can Masters feed of Cussen - one of the two vital clashes. No adv.

O'Se v McMahon
Tomas very quite last year, the classiest Kerry back who is back to his best by all accounts, McMahon is a work horse who can chip in with the odd point. Adv Kerry.
O'Mahony v O'Neill
Depends on where the ball is, if it's in the air adv O'Neill otherwise adv O'Mahony. Rathmore players bred for Munster finals in Killarney but Cork will want O'Neill under dropping ball. No adv.
Young v Gould
Gould is potentially class but needs to show it, marked Reidy for his entire underage campaigns and I think Young is more naturally suited to full back line. Adv Cork

O'Se/Quirke v Murphy/Kavanagh
Think Kerry will struggle here - Kavanagh and Murphy have the mobility while Kerry have the best midfielder, if they meet again expect Griffin to be back. Adv Cork

D O'Sullivan v A Lynch
Lynch is class, Declan has the ability but now that he is out of the centre can he produce on the wing. Adv Cork.
Brosnan v Spillane
Spillane had the freedom of Munster last year on Declan, he will have to pay Brozie a lot of attention as he will not catch his if he lets him go, So can Spillane afford to go forward as much as he normally does? fascinating clash but not decisive to the outcome. Two class players. No adv.
Galvin v O'Leary - Who will lose the head first? O'Leary has never impressed me, it seems aggression is his main attribute. Galvin has turned into a very effective score getter and his winning of breaking ball is legendary now. Galvin will play for the team, can O'Leary?. Adv Kerry.

Gooch v K O'Connor
One of the players of any generation can score of either foot or give the killer pass. Mr O'Connor could be in for a long afternoon. Adv Kerry.
Donaghy v Canty
The other big clash and the topic of conversation for the weekend. The shoulder v the knee.....I'm not expecting too much from Donaghy, he has only about 5-6 weeks of ball work behind him, a few catches to test the shoulder and a few layoff for scores would be a good day out. Will Billy fool us all and put Canty on the Gooch - I doubt it. Adv Cork.
MFR v Sheilds
MFR is struggling to hold his place on the team but he is a proven score getter against Cork. The Cork corners have never impressed me and MFR may be able to impress if the supply is right. I expect MFR to be the first forward off but he may have notched a few minors before departing. Adv Kerry.

The Bench
Haven't seen Cork's bench but I would be surprised if it as good as ours. Adv Kerry.

Total Kerry 7 Cork 5.

X Factor
Kerry got cleaned out against Meath in 2001 because we loaded the bench with forward and within 15 minutes 2 back were off injured (Tom Sullivan and Mike Hassett). Tomas O'Se was suspended and we ended up with a half back line of Tommy Griffin, Eamon Fitz and Noel Kennelly and we didn't win a breaking ball all day. If Kerry suffer defensive injuries on Sunday Mossy Lyons will do a job but after that you are looking at Galvin coming back. Can lighting strike twice..... 

Kerry Mike

SDC very good point about the subs, sometimes we only see the first 15 and dont look at potentials problems, and when you break down the Kerry bench for Sunday we have only 3 defenders named: Mossie Lyons, Rónan Ó Flatharta and Daniel Bohane. None would have much big game time experience.

We seem very light on cover in particular for the full back line, remember we have lost Moynihan, McCarthy, Fitmaurice and Guiney from last years panel. I guess Tommy Griffin could do a job in the half back line if needed and if it came to it I am sure Paul Galvin would do a fine job at wing back.
But hopefully we do not see any injuries. I think Brendan Guiney was a bit premature leaving the panel but I suppose if he was not getting game time you can understand his situation.

Midfield will be covered by Seamus Scanlon and Tommy Griffin, and we also have the option of Donaghy or Brosnan in the middle which is fine.

Up front we have a plethora of options available in the subs, with Sean O'Sullivan, Darren O'Sullivan, Bryan Sheehan, Paul O'Connor, Kieran O'Leary, Ronan Hussey, Donncha Walsh, Tommy Walsh, Declan Quill all vying for a place on the team, but realistically I cant see O'Leary, Hussey or either of the Walshs getting any game time this year. Quill too has fallen well down the rankings and if a no. 30 jersey is any indication we wont see much of him either this summer.

Just seems a bit lop sided to me towards the forwards, I dont believe Pat O'Shea has covered all of his options, what other backs have been in training recently, anyone been along to a training session at home?

Anyway here's hoping for a successful result on Sunday.

Ciarrai Abu.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

johnpower

Yes KM you are right , full back line experience is thin on the ground i hope the backs and forwards in training sharpens up things ,I wonder how Tom O sull has fared on donaghy ,We will know more on Sunday

orangeman

magickingdom

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 29, 2007, 09:08:14 AM

Yet another friendly and conciliatory post from Sheehy... is there no end to this man's congeniality!?

dead accurate tho and gets his point just like the great player himself...  ;)

Datsun Donaghy

Canty will destroy Donaghy,

QuoteI remember people saying the same thing about Bellew last year 

Truth is, Bellew had Donaghy well contained until the ref decided it was time for him to have his customary yellow card. No-one, not even the Kerry fans knew what it was for. Francie had not been involved in any scuffles and was not near the ref to have been done for dissent, not that Francie is ever heard to speak to anyone. Credit to Donaghy also, because he stated afterwards that he had no idea why the yellow was flashed. Donaghy and Kerry only got into the game after this.

Kerry Mike

It was a defining goal for Kerry's year but even after it there was little or nothing in it, it was only when Paul Galvin was red carded for his clash with John Tool from Armagh that Kerry drove on for a great win.

Donaghy gave great credit to Bellew afterwards saying he was a great old fashioned full back, basically someone who went for ball and man with equal measure. They both tore into each other with Donaghy's goal probably swaying the battle in his favour.

I'd expect Donaghy and Canty to be a very physical contest tomorrow, if Donaghy can hold his head and not raise to the bait that will be laid by the likes of Canty , Anthony Lynch and Noel O'Leary he could have a cracker. Expect his weakened shoulder to be tested early and often.

Noel O'Leary and Paul Galvin are two hard hoors who live on the edge of the rule book and there could be sparks between the two of them, expect a few sneaky digs coming from either or both of this pair and I would bet both will be in the book early on in the game.

From what I've heard the referee is a stickler for the book so I expect to see a game riddled by cards tomorrow, tis pissing rain in Langerland this evening and if its the same accross the county bounds tomrrrow it will be a slippery game.

The nerves are starting to get at me, I love the Munster final and the whole vibe of the day and its a day when I think of friends who are no longer with us but who treasured the passion, the glory and the pain of winning and losing against Cork. I have some great memories of previous finals going back many years. 1991 in particular in Killarney when John Cronin scored the crucial goal that buried the Cork double of the previous year always makes the hairs stand up when I think of it and remains a special memory and no matter how much others belittle the Munster championship, a final in Killarney between Kerry and Cork is still a special day in the GAA calander. I grew up listening to my Grandfather's detailed stories of old Kerry Cork battles and he had a great saying. "Tis always a great summer when you have the turf home, the hay saved and Cork bate".

Still cant see a clear winner. Am going to the game with two rebels, it could be the first known medical case of two langers with one bollix  :P

C'mon d'Kingdom
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Datsun Donaghy

Galvin should walk in most matches - he's the 2nd dirtest player in Kerry, beaten only by The Saint "Dara O Se"

I expect Kerry to win comfortably!

joemamas

mart morrissey is so ffin annoying. more annoying than jim carney

darbyo

Quotemart morrissey is so ffin annoying. more annoying than jim carney

Couldn't agree more, nearly put my foot through the TV with the useless bollix, I think he called Cussen 'Cushion' near the end.

PatDaly

Kerry now have a 6 week break until they play in the All-Ireland quarter final. This might be the best time to play them.