Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Bingo on May 05, 2011, 12:59:44 PM
If a few weeks into the season someone told me United had a 3 point lead with 3 games to go and were in a CL final, I'd have laughed and asked them for odds....I'd have lost badly. With Fergie at the helm and individual players like Rooney, Giggs, VDS, Vidic, Rio they have the big game players who can produce displays to match Barca. By no means can they go toe to toe as such but they are more than capable of producing a winning display in a one off game.

Thankfully I'll be in a big field in Slane and will avoid it, as I have a feeling United will produce something as they regularly do.

Thankfully the Ulster Council have not changed the Armagh Down game!

Minder

Quote from: EC Unique on May 05, 2011, 12:54:02 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 05, 2011, 12:38:50 PM
As much as it pains me to say it I reckon United will win the Final.  Man for man they are not as talented as Barca, style of play they are worlds apart.  United do not have the match winners that Barca have.  The thing is though in a one off game I reckon Whiskey nose will know how to set up his team to stop Barca winning clean possession in MF.  It will not be pretty but there will be an organisation about United that will disrupt the flow of the Spaniards and I reckon VDS will have the game of his life.  Fergie will retire a happy man if he wins this game and the EPL and let someone else do the rebuilding job that he is doing with United.  I hope not but... :'(

Ferige was ripping after defeat in the last final. Not so much because they lost but because some of the players (Ronaldo) did not stick to the plan. I don't think there are any players now who will put themselves before the team plan so I think they have a good enough chance. I agree with what you say that Utd do not have the same talent and I think disciplined organisation and workrate could win for Utd.

I would have thought the entire team "did not stick to the plan", ie get the ball and stick it in the net. I suppose it is easier to blame the, now departed, greasy foreigner. I wonder is Wazza hoking out his magic set to do his third, world famous Champions League Final disappearing act !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

snoopdog

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 05, 2011, 01:14:44 PM
Quote from: Bingo on May 05, 2011, 12:59:44 PM
If a few weeks into the season someone told me United had a 3 point lead with 3 games to go and were in a CL final, I'd have laughed and asked them for odds....I'd have lost badly. With Fergie at the helm and individual players like Rooney, Giggs, VDS, Vidic, Rio they have the big game players who can produce displays to match Barca. By no means can they go toe to toe as such but they are more than capable of producing a winning display in a one off game.

Thankfully I'll be in a big field in Slane and will avoid it, as I have a feeling United will produce something as they regularly do.

Thankfully the Ulster Council have not changed the Armagh Down game!

not YET anyway.
Its inevitable.

Main Street

Good to see both Gibson and O'Shea play and play well in such an important game.

It was strange to hear Ferguson in the post match interview admit vulnerability. He said he spent a sleepless night juggling his doubts, wondering what team to play. He sounded very relaxed as if this year's plan was all falling into place, after a small blip last week.

snoopdog

Quote from: Main Street on May 05, 2011, 02:50:30 PM
Good to see both Gibson and O'Shea play and play well in such an important game.

It was strange to hear Ferguson in the post match interview admit vulnerability. He said he spent a sleepless night juggling his doubts, wondering what team to play. He sounded very relaxed as if this year's plan was all falling into place, after a small blip last week.

yes i wonder when last time 3 Irishmen played in a European Semi final

Olaf

Quote from: snoopdog on May 05, 2011, 02:53:10 PM

Good spot.

ross4life

The performance from Valencia was superb last night on that type of form there are very few better wingers. Fergie spoke afterwards about Fletcher "big game player" sounds like if he can get him match fit he'll start the final.

Anyways the CL final is on the back burner for now, small matter of a title decider on Sunday & i expect another 9 changes.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

EC Unique

Quote from: Minder on May 05, 2011, 01:19:40 PM
As much as it pains me to say it I reckon United will win the Final.  Man for man they are not as talented as Barca, style of play they are worlds apart.  United do not have the match winners that Barca have.  The thing is though in a one off game I reckon Whiskey nose will know how to set up his team to stop Barca winning clean possession in MF.  It will not be pretty but there will be an organisation about United that will disrupt the flow of the Spaniards and I reckon VDS will have the game of his life.  Fergie will retire a happy man if he wins this game and the EPL and let someone else do the rebuilding job that he is doing with United.  I hope not but... :'(

Ferige was ripping after defeat in the last final. Not so much because they lost but because some of the players (Ronaldo) did not stick to the plan. I don't think there are any players now who will put themselves before the team plan so I think they have a good enough chance. I agree with what you say that Utd do not have the same talent and I think disciplined organisation and workrate could win for Utd.

I would have thought the entire team "did not stick to the plan", ie get the ball and stick it in the net. I suppose it is easier to blame the, now departed, greasy foreigner. I wonder is Wazza hoking out his magic set to do his third, world famous Champions League Final disappearing act !

Its all a bit beyond your comprehension I doubt.

Minder

Quote from: EC Unique on May 05, 2011, 03:25:09 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 05, 2011, 01:19:40 PM

Its all a bit beyond your comprehension I doubt.

It isn't, but try and explain it anyway. What was the "plan" ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Blowitupref

Didn't Rooney play out of position in the 08,09 finals to accommodate Tevez,Ronaldo? this time he's playing the Platini role & should be involved more.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

AZOffaly

The Platini role? Sitting up in the Royal box looking constipated?

Blowitupref

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 05, 2011, 03:35:16 PM
The Platini role? Sitting up in the Royal box looking constipated?

Obviously the player  :P
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ziggy90

Quote from: snoopdog on May 05, 2011, 02:53:10 PM

If my memory serves me correctly 1968 european cup final Man U v Benfica.Brennan Dunne & Best.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

magpie seanie

Surely Ronnie Whelan, Mark Lawrenson and the original "white Pele" Jim Beglin played in a semi in the mid eighties? Its a stretch including Lawrenson so Ziggy90 is probably right.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 05, 2011, 04:02:24 PM
Surely Ronnie Whelan, Mark Lawrenson and the original "white Pele" Jim Beglin played in a semi in the mid eighties? Its a stretch including Lawrenson so Ziggy90 is probably right.

They played in the 1985 (Heysel) final.