Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: Green Fields on December 21, 2015, 04:51:07 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 21, 2015, 04:06:19 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 21, 2015, 04:00:17 PM
Quote from: Green Fields on December 21, 2015, 03:47:56 PM
Will he go!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6817024/Mourinho-to-Man-Utd-all-but-agreed-the-final-decision-on-sacking-Louis-van-Gaal-is-now-down-to-the-Glazers.html

Please God let that not be true. I wouldn't be able to support United managed by him.
It's the sun, it has to be true!

I also hope its not true. I think he could be great at United. I'm happy with LVG!

A lot more sources than the sun quoting it, I hope it is true to show how fickle your average soccer supporter is, the Man U wans will be loving him now!

1 reputable source will do

screenexile

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 21, 2015, 04:22:30 PM
Will he go!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6817024/Mourinho-to-Man-Utd-all-but-agreed-the-final-decision-on-sacking-Louis-van-Gaal-is-now-down-to-the-Glazers.html

Please God let that not be true. I wouldn't be able to support United managed by him.

I also hope its not true. I think he could be great at United. I'm happy with LVG!

One thing he will not be is great. He has zero class.

He could easily win all round him but there's more to United for me than that. I'd prefer the inconsistent yet exciting at times Ron Atkinson sides of the 80's to Mourinho's metronomic cheating classless tripe. Feel free to save this by the way.

What has that got to do with anything?! He has as much class as Fergie ever did (very f**king little).

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: screenexile on December 21, 2015, 05:18:47 PM
Will he go!

He could easily win all round him but there's more to United for me than that. I'd prefer the inconsistent yet exciting at times Ron Atkinson sides of the 80's to Mourinho's metronomic cheating classless tripe. Feel free to save this by the way.

What has that got to do with anything?! He has as much class as Fergie ever did (very f**king little).

Be careful....You'll get called a chimp next!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: screenexile on December 21, 2015, 05:18:47 PM
Will he go!

Ferguson at least knew how the game should be played and in the main his teams tried to do that. Not a nice person at all but I'll give him credit for that. I would also take the view that none of Ferguson's teams carried on in as systematically bad a way as Mourinho's teams. The enemy of football is a title well earned.

seafoid

If Mourinho goes to Man U the exposure of the club will be much higher and it will be easier to sell jerseys in China.
Win win for everyone !  Kerching !

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on December 21, 2015, 06:01:59 PM
If Mourinho goes to Man U the exposure of the club will be much higher and it will be easier to sell jerseys in China.
Is that an opinion of your own or the opinion you read on a guardian article?

Maroon Manc

A month ago I didn't think we'd be talking about Mourinho. I'm not his biggest fan but where else do you turn too? Ancelotti is at Bayern, Pep is probably on his way to City and Klopp has taken over at Liverpool. Mourinho's football isn't great to watch but its probably on a par with Fergie's since 2008 which no way near as exciting as many make out.

He should have replaced Fergie and I think we'd be daft not to take him given our situation. I'd be amazed if he wasn't the Glazers no 1 choice given his record of success, this season aside I doubt he's finished outside the top 2 more than once at Chelsea, Porto, Inter & Real. If we don't finish top 4 this season we will struggle attracting certain players and if as expected Pep ends up at City it will make it even more difficult.

seafoid

Lads

You have to read this. The people in charge of Man Utd are bastards

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/ken-early-this-soap-opera-world-is-alien-to-louis-van-gaal-1.2473047-is-alien-to-louis-van-gaal-1.2473047

Everything about the idea of Mourinho taking over at Old Trafford seems wrong.

The key to understanding why it could nevertheless happen is to remember that Manchester United no longer sees itself as a sporting institution. According to group MD Richard Arnold, Manchester United now sees itself as "the biggest TV show in the world." For the biggest TV show in the world, the most important thing is not long-cherished club values or prudent footballing decisions or even Premier League points. The only thing that really matters is eyeballs.

Most of United's income now comes from TV, and indirectly via the sponsorship deals they can strike on the back of the global TV audience that follows them. The TV-related income now dwarfs the share of income that depends on sporting performance.

For instance, this year United will earn about €45 million from their short-lived Champions League campaign, of which just €16 million is performance-related prize money (the rest is a divvying-up of TV money from the lucrative English 'market pool'). They earn comfortably more than €16 million a year to let Aon put their name on the club training ground. Going out of the Champions League in the group stage is regrettable, but its impact on the bottom line is negligible. Failure, where is thy sting?

What matters now is not the old-fashioned kind of success, so much as excitement, the kind of buzz that gets people tuning in. In Arnold's words: "If you think about why people watch soap operas, it's what will happen next. That uncertainly is part of what makes sport exciting."

seafoid

Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 21, 2015, 06:07:44 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 21, 2015, 06:01:59 PM
Is that an opinion of your own or the opinion you read on a guardian article?
It was also in the IT .

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on December 21, 2015, 06:29:49 PM
Lads

You have to read this. The people in charge of Man Utd are b**tards

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/ken-early-this-soap-opera-world-is-alien-to-louis-van-gaal-1.2473047-is-alien-to-louis-van-gaal-1.2473047

The key to understanding why it could nevertheless happen is to remember that Manchester United no longer sees itself as a sporting institution. According to group MD Richard Arnold, Manchester United now sees itself as "the biggest TV show in the world." For the biggest TV show in the world, the most important thing is not long-cherished club values or prudent footballing decisions or even Premier League points. The only thing that really matters is eyeballs.

Most of United's income now comes from TV, and indirectly via the sponsorship deals they can strike on the back of the global TV audience that follows them. The TV-related income now dwarfs the share of income that depends on sporting performance.

For instance, this year United will earn about €45 million from their short-lived Champions League campaign, of which just €16 million is performance-related prize money (the rest is a divvying-up of TV money from the lucrative English 'market pool'). They earn comfortably more than €16 million a year to let Aon put their name on the club training ground. Going out of the Champions League in the group stage is regrettable, but its impact on the bottom line is negligible. Failure, where is thy sting?

What matters now is not the old-fashioned kind of success, so much as excitement, the kind of buzz that gets people tuning in. In Arnold's words: "If you think about why people watch soap operas, it's what will happen next. That uncertainly is part of what makes sport exciting."

Depressingly, this rings true. God help us.

"If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor...."

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 22, 2015, 09:52:21 AM
Lads

Is that bit in bold not a bit of a fallacy though. The reason why United are in such a position is precisely because they have been successful in the past. It's the same with Liverpool on a smaller scale. Liverpool are ranked 8 or something on the scale of money clubs, United are  second. But that is not a sustainable approach. If the owners of United, or Liverpool, look at that and say, ah sure, we don't have to worry about success, the money is bigger from TV and the other streams, then success will dry up, the club will stagnate and those streams will dry up.

So while it may be the biggest TV show in the world, it wouldn't be long going off air if the bread and butter is ruined. (sorry for mixed metaphors)

Boycey

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 22, 2015, 09:56:47 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 22, 2015, 09:52:21 AM
Lads

Is that bit in bold not a bit of a fallacy though. The reason why United are in such a position is precisely because they have been successful in the past. It's the same with Liverpool on a smaller scale. Liverpool are ranked 8 or something on the scale of money clubs, United are  second. But that is not a sustainable approach. If the owners of United, or Liverpool, look at that and say, ah sure, we don't have to worry about success, the money is bigger from TV and the other streams, then success will dry up, the club will stagnate and those streams will dry up.

So while it may be the biggest TV show in the world, it wouldn't be long going off air if the bread and butter is ruined. (sorry for mixed metaphors)

Would the fact that Liverpool still rank at 8th in that list in a prolonged fallow period not kinda prove the point that success is not strictly necessary AZ? Success is relative at this stage, success used to be winning the league or Champions League but now to the people that run clubs success is top 4 and a run to quarter final stages of champions league every couple of years anything above this is a bonus

Green Fields

The Champions league where you can finish 4th in your league and qualify!

Aristo 60

Not in Scotland.

Or the North of Ireland.

Bord na Mona man

Mourinho is a smart guy. If the United board told him he could have the job, so long as he tones down the tomfoolery, I can't see why he wouldn't be able to do it.
He does it all for show, rather than because of impulses he can't control.