Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 22, 2022, 10:56:37 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 22, 2022, 10:38:47 PM
Quote from: mouview on August 22, 2022, 10:21:32 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 22, 2022, 10:02:54 PM
Ten Haag passed a big test tonight by dropping Maguire and Ronaldo and the players responded by putting in a shift. It's amazing the improvement when the manager picks players that actually want to work. You would have to think that Ronaldo and Maguire's days are numbered and if De Jong and Antony come in then United are good enough to get top 4. However I wouldn't be getting too carried away, Liverpool look like an ageing team that might struggle to make top 4 themselves.

Dropped Shaw just as importantly. 'Pool a club in a hidden crisis though - suddenly look old and lacking in inspiration. TAA is terrible and how Milner can keep getting picked is a mystery.

I've been waiting for the Klopp dip to come and we might just be beginning to witness it. That intensity of play isn't sustainable over 4 or 5 years. Midfield suffering.

Klopp has covered up for the sins of tight fisted owners in the same way that Ferguson was able to cover for the Glazers.
When he goes they might not get a similar pound stretching manager.
You think?

Klopp took over a very average Liverpool team off the back of years of mismanagement and a squad filled with duds. He with help of shrewd Michael Edwards was allowed to build his own team Fabinho,Salah,Jota,Mane all over 30M, Becker over 60M, Van Dijk over 70M etc and recent signings Konaté,Diaz and Nunez between 35 and 80M.

Ferguson no doubt covered for what was to come and the last decade is all down to the Glazers not having competent people over the transfers,players contracts and recruitment.

Turf

Quote from: yellowcard on August 22, 2022, 10:02:54 PM
Ten Haag passed a big test tonight by dropping Maguire and Ronaldo and the players responded by putting in a shift. It's amazing the improvement when the manager picks players that actually want to work. You would have to think that Ronaldo and Maguire's days are numbered and if De Jong and Antony come in then United are good enough to get top 4. However I wouldn't be getting too carried away, Liverpool look like an ageing team that might struggle to make top 4 themselves.
Top 4 is going to be a real battle. City are a shoe in so that leaves 3 spots left.

Arsenal and Spurs seem to have got their shit together and Chelsea and Liverpool will surely find some form soon, though maybe not who knows.

I dunno if Man United are good enough to get Top 4. They were excellent last night but they were dire the first two games. So which is the real Man United? I would suggest somewhere in the middle.

trailer

EtH made the big calls and it paid off. Maguire, Ronaldo, Fred, Shaw all who have been posting performances in dropped. And he was rewarded. Varane and Martinez looked assured a the back. Fernandes looked more like the Fernandes who arrived that Jan. Rashford was ok. Still gave the ball away far too easy for me a few times but hopefully he turns a corner. But this is just the minimum that you expect and they need to back this up with another performance against Southampton next.
Cassimerio in for McTominay and you're not far away from the 11. Still need a striker.

Maguire should be put on the Megabus straight to London and Chelsea or whoever wants to ruin their team and sign him. He's a Fulham player in all honesty. McTominay, Ronaldo the same. Get shot.

This is step 1. They've about 3,651,458,746 more steps to go.

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 22, 2022, 10:50:27 PM
Inhalers must be all used up

Cat's out of the bag and they have had to limit there use.

magpie seanie

Sad to see some Jamie Carraghers on here after last night. Don't be him.

Maguire and Shaw need to be out the door. McTominay and Fred - never play them together. Last night's back 4 is the best available. AWB adequate too. Ronaldo will be fine once he gets up to speed - had no preseason. A good performance and result but need this consistently. Getting poison like Maguire and Shaw out the door will help greatly.

GJL

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 23, 2022, 11:24:57 AM

Maguire and Shaw need to be out the door. McTominay and Fred - never play them together. Last night's back 4 is the best available. AWB adequate too. Ronaldo will be fine once he gets up to speed - had no preseason. A good performance and result but need this consistently. Getting poison like Maguire and Shaw out the door will help greatly.

Yep. And give the armband to Bruno. He reacted well to having it last night. Just needs to cut out the crying at the ref.

trailer

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 23, 2022, 11:24:57 AM

McSpitty?

Turf

I dunno how anyone listens to Carragher or Neville to be honest, two insufferable arseholes.

Bord na Mona man

In terms of team restructuring the 4-0 defeat probably helped Ten Haag. While he wouldn't have fancied Maguire from day 1, he was somewhat obliged to give him due process to play himself off the team.
Now he has been given an early mandate to tear up the team and make it the way he wants.

yellowcard

Quote from: Turf on August 23, 2022, 12:08:18 PM
I dunno how anyone listens to Carragher or Neville to be honest, two insufferable arseholes.

All pundits have lifespans before a general weariness kicks in and I think we are nearing that point with both Neville and Carragher. Carragher sees himself as the king of banter whilst I've never listened to a pundit who is as sure of himself as Neville. They are both capable of making an argument and convincing you that they are right but football isn't black and white. They understand how the media works though and it's all about likes, hits and moments. It's an easy life for them and good luck to them but they are both little more than actors sitting on a soap box.

Saffrongael

Quote from: yellowcard on August 23, 2022, 12:42:53 PM

All pundits have lifespans before a general weariness kicks in and I think we are nearing that point with both Neville and Carragher. Carragher sees himself as the king of banter whilst I've never listened to a pundit who is as sure of himself as Neville. They are both capable of making an argument and convincing you that they are right but football isn't black and white. They understand how the media works though and it's all about likes, hits and moments. It's an easy life for them and good luck to them but they are both little more than actors sitting on a soap box.

Agree 100%, reckon half their bollocks is scripted at this stage
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Saffrongael on August 23, 2022, 12:55:01 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 23, 2022, 12:42:53 PM

Agree 100%, reckon half their bollocks is scripted at this stage

Agree. Id say their general way of going on is far more dramatic now than when they started out. That plus the "bants"

Maroon Manc

Great result and performance, delighted to see a shift in tactics from Ten Hag to suit the opposition. We'll struggle at the weekend, going to take months to get used to the new style of play but lots of positives from last night; Back 4 were all excellent, have reservations about Dalot but lets hope he proves me wrong. Varane needs to stay fit, a top player.

Talk of Chelsea been interested in Maguire, can't see him wanting to stay at OT if he's going to be on the bench but United short on options but this might be a one time opportunity to get a decent fee for him.

Still very early days and I had United down to finish 6th before a ball was kicked but football can be funny, Thursday night football never helps and United & Arsenal both have it this season. United may well spend big over the next weeks, the Glazers know their days are coming to an end and adding another few hundred million to the debt isn't going to affect them greatly.

Cunny Funt

Hard earned and deserved win. Good cross and finish on the goal. Solid centre back pairing played a key role in that win.

One thing beating Liverpool against the odds but its another thing backing it up with a win in the next game when favourites.

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come