Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 30, 2014, 10:34:25 AM
while i agree Terry has had a much better season than Kompany, Im not sure how you would justify leaving Gerrard out.  :-\
I would probably have went for Marshall ahead of Cech, but Degea  has had a good season also
Yeah agree with that.
Although while Terry was better than Kompany, it was Cahill who was the main man for Chelsea at centre half, so don't think Terry would deserve the place alongside him as being next best in the league. Not sure who is - Distin and Jags both very good for Everton, although missed chunks of the season. The Southampton lad, Louvren, seemed good too any time I saw him. Speaking of which, I think Shaw was lucky to get the left back spot - Azpicuelta is the best full back in the league for me.

Nothing between DeGea and Cech this year, but Marshall would have been a good shout, he seems to produce ridiculously good saves every other week.

imtommygunn

Cech was a bit ropy at times. I don't think him or Kompany deserved it but the rest of the team bang on. Jagielka has missed a load of games for everton so wouldn't be in there but maybe Distin. Terry probably should be in there to be honest even though Cahill already is.

Goalie maybe DeGea.

EC Unique

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 30, 2014, 10:26:45 AM
I see Evra voted for Suarez in the Player of the Year voting. Fair play to him it has to be said. I'm sure that wasn't easy for him to do.

Was reading that he voted for him last year too.

Bingo

Quote from: EC Unique on April 30, 2014, 11:29:45 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 30, 2014, 10:26:45 AM
I see Evra voted for Suarez in the Player of the Year voting. Fair play to him it has to be said. I'm sure that wasn't easy for him to do.

Was reading that he voted for him last year too.

Most be feeling guilty  ;)

rodney trotter

Louis van Gaal expects to be confirmed as Manchester United manager by the beginning of next week with the Dutchman ready to oversee a list of transfer targets before shifting his focus to Holland's preparations for the World Cup finals.

With United accepting defeat in their attempts to recruit Carlo Ancelotti, the Real Madrid coach, following the Spanish club's progression to the Champions League final on Tuesday evening, the path has been cleared for Van Gaal to succeed the sacked David Moyes. Discussions over Ryan Giggs's role in a Van Gaal regime have yet to be resolved, however, with Ed Woodward, the United executive vice-chairman, keen for the interim manager to retain an involvement beyond the end of this season.

With Van Gaal holding firm on his desire to bring as many as five of his own coaches to Old Trafford, including Patrick Kluivert, the Holland assistant, there is a risk of Giggs rejecting a minor role under the 62-year-old and cutting his ties with the club at the end of the season. Senior figures at United are determined to avoid that eventuality, but there is an awareness that Giggs is unlikely to accept being relegated down the coaching pecking order having been handed the manager's job on a temporary basis following Moyes's dismissal last week.

With Van Gaal prepared to have Giggs on his backroom team, a compromise is likely to emerge and the former Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach has already turned his attentions to finalising transfer plans with Woodward following discussions about the United job. Having earmarked next Wednesday as the start of a 10-day training camp with domestic-based Dutch players in Hoenderloo, United are aware that Van Gaal regards that date as the beginning of the build-up to the World Cup finals.

With both Van Gaal and the Dutch football association keen to avoid outside distractions prior to the World Cup finals, it is understood that the coach wants to hone his recruitment plans with Woodward before the start of the Hoenderloo training camp.

United have been working on a list of potential summer signings since the turn of the year, with Moyes identifying several targets which have been pursued by Woodward.

Discussions have been held with representatives of Bayern Munich midfielder Toni Kroos, Southampton full-back Luke Shaw, Sporting Lisbon midfielder William Carvalho and Paris St-Germain forward Edinson Cavani, while Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas is another player on United's radar.

Van Gaal is aware of United's targets and, while he may also pursue Borussia Dortmund defender Mats Hummels, he is believed to be happy with the target list drawn up by Moyes. Perhaps significantly, the representatives of some of the players on United's list have been told that moves may accelerate next week having been placed on hold since Moyes's departure.

With Van Gaal regarding next Wednesday as the cut-off point in terms of discussions about United until the end of Holland's World Cup campaign, there is a desire to be briefed on the current status of transfers and potential departures before he switches attention to plotting the national team's route out of Group B, which contains Australia, Chile and the reigning world champions Spain.

While United and Woodward had identified Ancelotti as a contender to replace Moyes, the Italian's success in guiding Real to the Champions League final has prompted the Old Trafford club to abandon efforts to recruit the former Chelsea manager.

Despite ongoing uncertainty surrounding Ancelotti's position, with a belief that he may lose his job at the Bernabéu if he fails to win the Champions League trophy in Lisbon this month, United are wary of waiting a further three weeks only on the basis that he may become available.

Having allowed Moyes to delay his start in the job last summer until July 1, there is an acceptance at United that valuable preparation time was lost in terms of player recruitment twelve months ago and it is a mistake there are determined to avoid on this occasion. Meanwhile, United midfielder Marouane Fellaini has been urged to prove a point to the club by Belgium coach Marc Wilmots, who insists the midfielder can prove his ability at the World Cup.

Fellaini has endured a disastrous time at United since completing a £27.5 million transfer from Everton last August and his future at Old Trafford is likely to be bleak following Moyes's exit. But Wilmots claims that Fellaini is merely a victim of being used in the wrong position by Moyes.

"I have no doubts about Marouane," Wilmots said. "I don't understand why Manchester United bought him to play him in a system of two number sixes. "Marouane is a box-to-box player and the World Cup is a good chance for him to take revenge."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...er-within-days-ahead-of-World-Cup-finals.html

Armamike

Could Giggs not take the reserves or the youth team?
That's just, like your opinion man.

Shrewdness

Transfers update...Inter Milan now showing strong interest in William Carvalho...The Edinson Cavani situation is starting to grow legs, could happen...Also, Van Persie could play on Saturday.

Shrewdness

Rooney sent for scan after limping out of training today...For the first time since 2007, neither Manchester United or Bayern Munich will be in the Champions League Final.

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Shrewdness on May 01, 2014, 08:49:07 PM
For the first time since 2007, neither Manchester United or Bayern Munich will be in the Champions League Final.

Just won't be the same

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on May 01, 2014, 09:32:59 PM
For the first time since 2007, neither Manchester United or Bayern Munich will be in the Champions League Final.

Just won't be the same

It devalues the win for either team now really  :P

Saffrongael

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 01, 2014, 10:22:02 PM

Just won't be the same

United have withdrawn from next years competition in protest
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Saffrongael on May 01, 2014, 10:38:59 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 01, 2014, 10:22:02 PM

Just won't be the same

United have withdrawn from next years competition in protest

:D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lecale2

Sunderland are available at 15/2 to win today. Excellent value.

dec