Quatar 22, Any interest ?

Started by Denn Forever, November 03, 2022, 01:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Have to say little almost glad we didn't  qualify.  Hope Wales do well and intersted to see if the custom venues work.

Hope to be interested but not holding my breath.                     
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

dec

Not every word that starts with a Q has U as the second letter.

markl121

Will probably watch it but I'd say the venues will be empty for the most part. The hassle of travelling combined with the rules when you get there makes me think no one will go.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: dec on November 03, 2022, 01:40:32 PM
Not every word that starts with a Q has U as the second letter.

Most do tho tbf

seafoid

The World Cup is a machine like the Olympics so it'll probably run smoothly.  FIFA leave a lot to be desired with this late November shindig. And Qatar / Russia before.
Money has ruined soccer.

An Watcher

I remember the same discussions before the World Cup in Russia and that was a very well run tournament.  Money has ruined football but I think this Winter World Cup is a great idea as would a World Cup in Australia and NZ.  Soccer does not revolve around the premier league and 4 or 5 teams.  Give countries their chance and forget about overpaid, overhyped, badge kisses in the Premier league.  Hopefully England and Wales make early exits and we can enjoy the South Americans, an African team or an Asian team doing well

From the Bunker

Fifa have lost a shit load of money from Qatar. Because the WC was switched from the Summer to winter, TV rites have been sold for less or bargained in with the rites to next WC in 2026.
The casual fan will to be non existent.

Beer is I hear €15 a pop. And you have to pay €75 to get into pubs. There will be no drinking on the street.

The players involved should not be affected. Squads are cocooned during tournaments and know little of whats going on outside.

This WC is going to be one of the biggest Social, Climatic and Cultural experiments ever.

Games are on at 10am, 1pm 4pm and 7pm. So people working or in school will miss 50-75% of games that are on week days.

shark

Quote from: An Watcher on November 03, 2022, 03:12:19 PM
I remember the same discussions before the World Cup in Russia and that was a very well run tournament.  Money has ruined football but I think this Winter World Cup is a great idea as would a World Cup in Australia and NZ.  Soccer does not revolve around the premier league and 4 or 5 teams.  Give countries their chance and forget about overpaid, overhyped, badge kisses in the Premier league.  Hopefully England and Wales make early exits and we can enjoy the South Americans, an African team or an Asian team doing well

13 European teams. Would say at least 10 make the last 16. Wales, Poland, and Switzerland/Serbia (as Brazil in their group) the ones I'd be least confident in. Maybe Croatia if Canada live up to the hype. Not sure any Asian team will make it out of group. Maybe Iran best placed, given the draw.

AustinPowers

I've never looked  less forward to a WC than this one.  Not because it's in Qatar  or in winter , but the life and enjoyment has been truly sucked out of  soccer in recent years  .  Vast majority of them are overpaid overhyped arses .

Anyway I'll probably tune into as much as i can bear  ,  or have it on in the background at least.  But at the end of the day , as long as England are knocked out very  early, I couldn't give a sh1te who wins it after that

Rossfan

No interest whatsoever......no matter where ut might be played.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

yellowcard

Quote from: AustinPowers on November 03, 2022, 04:26:47 PM
I've never looked  less forward to a WC than this one.  Not because it's in Qatar  or in winter , but the life and enjoyment has been truly sucked out of  soccer in recent years  .  Vast majority of them are overpaid overhyped arses .

Anyway I'll probably tune into as much as i can bear  ,  or have it on in the background at least.  But at the end of the day , as long as England are knocked out very  early, I couldn't give a sh1te who wins it after that

I'd agree with that but the Qatar element is a big factor also. I find the Premier League and much of professional sport in general a rich mans plaything where money has sucked the soul out of football. Its used by the powerful and wealthy as a vehicle to exert their soft power and brainwash fans who tend to overlook most things in the name of football tribalism.   

trailer

Japan v Costa Rica? Absolutely sign me up.

An Watcher

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 03, 2022, 03:13:02 PM
Fifa have lost a shit load of money from Qatar. Because the WC was switched from the Summer to winter, TV rites have been sold for less or bargained in with the rites to next WC in 2026.
The casual fan will to be non existent.

Teachers could miss them all as they'll be marking beyond 4 o'clock

Beer is I hear €15 a pop. And you have to pay €75 to get into pubs. There will be no drinking on the street.

The players involved should not be affected. Squads are cocooned during tournaments and know little of whats going on outside.

This WC is going to be one of the biggest Social, Climatic and Cultural experiments ever.

Games are on at 10am, 1pm 4pm and 7pm. So people working or in school will miss 50-75% of games that are on week days.

An Watcher

Messed that up, meant to say teachers will miss most of them as they'll be marking beyond 4 o'clock

trailer

Quote from: An Watcher on November 03, 2022, 04:44:39 PM
Messed that up, meant to say teachers will miss most of them as they'll be marking beyond 4 o'clock

Ahhy right. Surprised they haven't a strike organised.