Derry V Donegal Ulster final 2022

Started by shawshank, May 16, 2022, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: sam03/05 on May 30, 2022, 07:00:51 AM
Was a definite penalty - Hurson got away with no analysis of it last night on Sunday game as it was such a busy show. A hand round the neck is a foul / pen.
The Sunday game were too busy slagging off the style of football. They prefer 28 point victories for the Dublins and kerrys than a competitive contest.  I cant watch that sh1te.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 29, 2022, 08:25:53 PM

The match was not pretty to the eye to the neutral (i.e. me!) and largely forgettable, but there tends to be to be an awful lot of self-flagellation among much of the GAA football fraternity where unless every intercounty championship game is an instant classic, then the game is in dire straits and only major overhauls/changes suggested by "oneself" (usually without any critical thinking as to the likely impact or practical enforcement of them) will do. A leaf should be taken out of their hurling counterparts where even the more pedestrian, uneventful games at top levels are given a damn good positive spin by its main pundits. The vast majority of top level soccer & rugby matches themselves tend to be grim, forgettable events on the field of play - but they're both excellent at hiding the negatives and accentuating the positives when they do happen. That's probably why the BBC coverage of the Ulster SFC is more positive/brighter in its presentation, even when they covering/just covered a dour game they don't bang the f**k on about it because the BBC NI Sports department isn't largely isolated from each other's codes compared to their RTE counterparts.

100%. Some amount of whingers out in force. What would they rather have watched, a 20 point drubbing or the Dubs knock 5 goals in the 1st half of a game to kill the second half and win their 12th Leinster in a row. Many of the experts on here predicted the type of game it would be and they got it. Now they somehow think they should have been watching a classic. Haven't seen any of the tv coverage yet as was late back from Clones and then headed over to Maghera to see the lads come home but that'll be for tonight. Scenes in Clones and Maghera last night were brilliant. Been a long time coming for us and there is a whole generation who have never experienced that before. 

Yes, the game was far from a classic but as Fionntamhnach says how many finals are. People waking up in Derry don't give a damn about that today. Derry as a division 2 team have had to beat 3 division 1 teams to win that Ulster title. That is some achievement. I don't think anyone in the county is thinking of All-Irelands. We got a monkey off our backs yesterday and anything now is bonus territory for us. An Ulster title was always the no1 aim. But hope we can push on another wee bit.

tonto1888

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 30, 2022, 07:10:32 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 30, 2022, 02:13:01 AM
Shocking bad call for no black card issued for bringing down McGuigan, what was the ref watching.

Would disagree with that. It was a foul but it certainly wasn't a clear cut black card. The only shocking thing about it was how quick he got up and sprinted towards the ref to complain

Hardly shocking. Not every players feigns injury

Hound

Quote from: sam03/05 on May 30, 2022, 07:00:51 AM
Was a definite penalty - Hurson got away with no analysis of it last night on Sunday game as it was such a busy show. A hand round the neck is a foul / pen.
Wasn't around the neck. Keeper put his arms under McHughs shoulder, rather than over the top, which would have been a clear penalty. It looked high towards the end of the challenge because of McHugh getting lower. Still was close call, as the keeper should have been shielding rather than slapping. McHugh went down too easily, hard to blame him in those circumstances, but ref could see there wasn't enough in the challenge to send him to the ground so maybe didn't want to reward a player at that stage for going down easily.

The Derry keeper was terrible and very nearly cost his team the title. Should never have allowed himself to be dispossessed. I don't think he was fouled. You can't shoulder the keeper, but you can slap the ball out, which I think was what happened. Then for the last Murphy shot, the keeper completely missed it and took a great save by a defender on the line.

Derryman forever

Was the Ulster final harder to watch than the leinster final or the munster final?
29000 people were left voiceless on the edge of their rough timber seats in game that looked like it might never end with a winner. It was an entertaining game that had moments of total frustration and absolute brilliance. I certainly know I would either watch a game that goes down to the wire than a game that is over in 15 minutes.
Ulster football championship is going to be put to the sword because of the uncompetitive nature of the other provinces . In the last 20 years all 9 counties have played in the Ulster final .

marty34

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 30, 2022, 08:11:54 AM
Quote from: tyrone08 on May 30, 2022, 07:10:32 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 30, 2022, 02:13:01 AM
Shocking bad call for no black card issued for bringing down McGuigan, what was the ref watching.

Would disagree with that. It was a foul but it certainly wasn't a clear cut black card. The only shocking thing about it was how quick he got up and sprinted towards the ref to complain

Hardly shocking. Not every players feigns injury

Key thing now to avoid a black card is just pull the lad back when he's clean through....and take a yeloow.

No player should be receiving a black card now if they're half-wise.

Why pull down a player when you can just grab his jersey and hold him back?

Wildweasel74

Watched the game again, keeper done a bad fumble, but never a penalty, McHugh was surrounded and just went down trying to get a penalty. On rewatching the game still think Donegal  Stephen Mc, should been black carded, Murphy scored a mighty point 2nd half but Rodgers destroyed him in extra time. Derry will be happy with that, a 1st Ulster in 24yrs, not worry what people think of their style of play, they just needed to win this game. They be stronger up front nxt Yr if a few lads come bck and the younger lads on bench are a Yr older. They come a long way from playing London in Ballinascreen with just 300 people watching them in Div 4 just 3yrs ago.

StephenC

Ah lads, was never a penalty. Would have liked to see Donegal take their point quickly at the end rather than Murphy going for goal. Force the ref to allow the kickout and see what happens. Anyway, it's all speculation now.

My advice to the Derry wans ... don't worry about black cards, penalties, frees, defensive football etc. you boys have what all the rest of us wanted at this point - the 2022 Ulster title. Go and enjoy it.

marty34

Quote from: StephenC on May 30, 2022, 08:43:27 AM
Ah lads, was never a penalty. Would have liked to see Donegal take their point quickly at the end rather than Murphy going for goal. Force the ref to allow the kickout and see what happens. Anyway, it's all speculation now.

My advice to the Derry wans ... don't worry about black cards, penalties, frees, defensive football etc. you boys have what all the rest of us wanted at this point - the 2022 Ulster title. Go and enjoy it.

Good point - I thought ref would have blew it up straight away after Murphy's shot.

I wonder did he not ask the ref how long was left.  Could have took the the point and set up for the kick out and pressed it.

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on May 29, 2022, 11:12:38 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 29, 2022, 10:17:54 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 29, 2022, 09:58:18 PM
Great to see Derry win. Thought it had more than a breakthrough whiff of Armagh in 1999. Probably one more star forward, a MFer (or middle 8 player) and a goalie short of being genuine AI contenders. I'm sure McFaul is regretting his decision atm.

The year's not over for Donegal but surely its the end of an era regardless, hard to see Bonner returning,  Donegal have always seemed a bit timid and one dimensional under his direction. Will Murphy go or maybe even become Manager or Player manager?

I think Derrys downfall will be the lack of any star forwards.

I thought that would be our problem this year but scores have come from everywhere to be fair.

Shane McGuigan is absolutely a star forward btw!!

Nothing been shown by him at this level so far that suggests he is to be honest.  Seems like a decent free taker but isn't threatening enough from play.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on May 29, 2022, 09:57:37 PM
Quote from: general_lee on May 29, 2022, 07:42:08 PM
Brilliant from Derry and well deserved winners. Had an inkling they'd be fit for Donegal and probably should have saw the game out in normal time had the rules been applied correctly (black card x2). While the whole team put a massive shift a few men really stepped up to the plate, Glass, Loughlin and Rogers who was immense. Think Derry can give the AI a good rattle now and no one will fancy meeting them.
It's been a long time since a team came out of nowhere to win Sam.
Tyrone last year? ;)

Wildweasel74

Probably needs to stay closer to goal, as he got the ball at the end normal time yesterday, Donegal had 4 players going to him, before off loading to Glass for the shot. Needs to work on shooting of the right foot, P Bradley learned to do this after been Strictly left footed in his early days, and this made So hard to mark. He needs support from the other forwards, sure Dangerous forwards like Brennan, McBearty, and Langan got little leeway either.

marty34

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 30, 2022, 09:34:39 AM
Probably needs to stay closer to goal, as he got the ball at the end normal time yesterday, Donegal had 4 players going to him, before off loading to Glass for the shot. Needs to work on shooting of the right foot, P Bradley learned to do this after been Strictly left footed in his early days, and this made So hard to mark. He needs support from the other forwards, sure Dangerous forwards like Brennan, McBearty, and Langan got little leeway either.

Is Mc Brearty not very one footed?

JoeSoap

Quote from: ONeill on May 29, 2022, 11:54:32 PM
That was a weird ball McBrearty played in when a point behind with 2 mins left in extra time. It sort of went against everything they'd been doing all game.

I was in line with him on the Hill and it was a shot, but he pulled something. He looked absolutely out on his feet to be honest, McKaigue made his life a misery.

Sickened at that yesterday from a Donegal POV. Comhghairdeas to Derry though, they have incredible energy and hunger this year. I think they will cause some noise in Croke Park.

Wildweasel74

He is indeed which is why he struggled to get away from Chris's McK, They know what foot he's going onto.