FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Started by laoislad, April 01, 2022, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: gawa316 on December 10, 2022, 11:16:39 PM
Quote from: square_ball on December 10, 2022, 11:09:48 PM
That 2nd penalty was as stupid a foul as I have seen on a football pitch from the French defender.

Can't believe the ref needed VAR to intervene

Given his performance the rest of the night I wouldn't have been suprised if he'd said no.

Square Ball

That 2nd penalty was as stupid a foul as I have seen on a football pitch from the French defender.

100%, was pen all day long, then tried to claim it as a fair shoulder to shoulder.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Square Ball

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 10, 2022, 11:19:32 PM

Given his performance the rest of the night I wouldn't have been suprised if he'd said no.
Still better that that balloon last night, mind you he did add to the excitement
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

AustinPowers

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 10, 2022, 11:05:49 PM
This one will have really hurt them. It wasn't like Germany 2010 or Brazil 2002. They were probably the better team tonight and could easily have won.

But they didn't,  and that's all that matters

ONeill

It's looking like a France/Argentina final.

Don't think either side is peaking at the right time - you might say Croatia and Morocco are - but it's looking like the former. Argentina don't seem to know their best side.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Lot of hate for England which is understandable. Southgate getting a lot of blame but he didn't miss that penalty.

England were well in the game and just didn't get the breaks. France are a great team and will probably go on to win from here. Is there any shame in that from England? There shouldn't be and I think Southgate is a good coach but things will go haywire from here.

Who would do a better job than Southgate? I don't think too many! Glad to see the c***ts out though don't get me wrong!!

Jell 0 Biafra

Breaks? The French defenders gave them three gilt-edged breaks.  They just couldn't make them count.

clarshack

Would like to see an Argentina v France final.

From the Bunker

Quote from: screenexile on December 10, 2022, 11:53:35 PM
Lot of hate for England which is understandable. Southgate getting a lot of blame but he didn't miss that penalty.

England were well in the game and just didn't get the breaks. France are a great team and will probably go on to win from here. Is there any shame in that from England? There shouldn't be and I think Southgate is a good coach but things will go haywire from here.

Who would do a better job than Southgate? I don't think too many! Glad to see the c***ts out though don't get me wrong!!

France lucky to get over the line in normal time. Keane unfortunate to come up against a club mate for the Penalties. I'm sure Keane takes dime a dozen against Lloris week in week out in training. Lloris would know a lot about his techniques. England nullified Mbappe and controlled most of the game.
Southgate has been the most stable of English Managers. He ticks the boxes. Gives the media nothing. Even after tonight's game he stayed away from blaming anybody. He has come to a crossroads now, should he persist with the guts of this group or should he start a rebuild. With 2 years on his contract a rebuild would be a problem.

Captain Obvious

It's a squad of English players that should be challenging for major honours. France played one of their worst matches in this World cup and won.

Southgate doesn't know how to utilize the attacking talent he has at his disposal. his approach is just too mundane and has zero tactical flexibility in him.

Wildweasel74

Morocco would beat them anyway, just save them abit of pain.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 11, 2022, 12:26:59 AM
It's a squad of English players that should be challenging for major honours. France played one of their worst matches in this World cup and won.

Southgate doesn't know how to utilize the attacking talent he has at his disposal. his approach is just too mundane and has zero tactical flexibility in him.

Wc 2018 semi
Euros 2021 final
Wc 2022 quarters. Bate by current world champs.
That is challenging imo

Captain Obvious

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on December 11, 2022, 01:11:19 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 11, 2022, 12:26:59 AM

Wc 2018 semi
Euros 2021 final
Wc 2022 quarters. Bate by current world champs.
That is challenging imo

That's my point challenging to be expected with their group of players and would have won at least one of those last three major tournaments with a more tactically astute manager.

Ed Ricketts

That England group will have a good punt at Euro 24, but this was their World Cup moment.

Sure they have a few good young lads, but the spine of the side will be over 30 and on the way down by 2026. 2018 Belgium comes to mind - a dream also guillotined by the French.

Southgate has never disappointed with them. They're steady and reliable, and they beat pretty much all the teams they're supposed to beat. They've also profited from a few fortunate knock-out routes - Senegal, Denmark, Ukraine, Sweden, Colombia. But it's hard to argue that they've ever exceeded expectations under his watch. Only the round-of-16 win over Germany in 2021 (at Wembley) really stands out as a landmark win.

The English FA can afford managers that would be the envy of pretty much every other national federation, but they've stuck with their own man. They'll always wonder if someone with a bit more pedigree might have taken this undoubtedly talented group over the line against France, or Italy, or Croatia.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

seafoid

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on December 11, 2022, 01:50:12 AM
That England group will have a good punt at Euro 24, but this was their World Cup moment.

Sure they have a few good young lads, but the spine of the side will be over 30 and on the way down by 2026. 2018 Belgium comes to mind - a dream also guillotined by the French.

Southgate has never disappointed with them. They're steady and reliable, and they beat pretty much all the teams they're supposed to beat. They've also profited from a few fortunate knock-out routes - Senegal, Denmark, Ukraine, Sweden, Colombia. But it's hard to argue that they've ever exceeded expectations under his watch. Only the round-of-16 win over Germany in 2021 (at Wembley) really stands out as a landmark win.

The English FA can afford managers that would be the envy of pretty much every other national federation, but they've stuck with their own man. They'll always wonder if someone with a bit more pedigree might have taken this undoubtedly talented group over the line against France, or Italy, or Croatia.
It will probably take another manager to win something. Southgate took England from nowhere . Psychologically they were hopeless Italy,Germany and even France have won World Cups recently because they know how to win, like Tyrone last year.  England don't because 1966 is too long ago. Maybe this loss has whatever they need to learn. They remind me of the Galway hurlers post 2012. Overcoming psychological handicaps is hard.
The EPL will always provide the talent. It's not the same as Belgium.

They just need to win 1 to reset everything, like France did in 1998  or Donegal did in 1992.