The Gym and Fitness Thread

Started by JimStynes, February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CK_Redhand

No sorry I explained it poorly. I've seen people start their arm row as their legs are going back.  So they are leaning too far forward and are not pulling back far enough with their arms.

square_ball

Get you now. Its definitely a butchered exercise. Proper technique can make a huge improvement on your pace. While we are on the topic of the ergs - I hate the ski machine. Horrible altogether.

JimStynes

Quote from: square_ball on February 22, 2023, 02:11:04 PM
If its what I think you're describing - then that is correct way of doing it. You need to fully extend your legs before you use your arms.

https://youtu.be/4zWu1yuJ0_g

More common I see is people not fully extending their legs and pulling back on the handles with their arms. Jim Stynes will be more an expert with the time he is putting up for a 2k row.

Definitely not an expert! The coach in my gym holds some record for his age cateogry on the concept 2. His time is something ridiculous like 6.12 for 2k so I always try and train with him. Being efficient on the rower is very important. People always make the mistake of putting the damper setting up to 10 and waste a lot of energy early. It should be around 4 1/2 or 5 for someone my size. I know some people that row at 3 on the damper. I aim for about 25-27 spm and just watch the per 500m time. A nice easy one to work towards is holding 2min per 500m. For sub 2k my strategy is set the distance as 2k obviously  and I always just try hold 1.45min per 500m and then on the last 500m go 1.44min. Sounds a lot easier than it is!! There are sometimes I get on the rower and have myself off it again in 2 or 3 mins as I am not in the right frame of mind for that sort of torture. Other times I'll go for nice and easy 5kms and just sit at 2.10 pace. I must try find my times but I had decent times on the ski erg and bike erg as well. Well off all those times now though.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: square_ball on February 22, 2023, 02:20:04 PM
Get you now. Its definitely a butchered exercise. Proper technique can make a huge improvement on your pace. While we are on the topic of the ergs - I hate the ski machine. Horrible altogether.

There was a gym I went to a good few times, over by Carryduff, they use they use the ergos stuff,  the ski one I liked!! the bike ergos was my least fav..

To be fair it was a tough work out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Quote from: Main Street on February 22, 2023, 12:36:57 PM
Rowing is a torture,  rowing machines (the devil's invention) are for fitness masochists.

You've never been on an echo bike have you haha

imtommygunn

Jim do you go to that limitless gym? Think I read about that record.

JimStynes

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 22, 2023, 07:02:01 PM
Jim do you go to that limitless gym? Think I read about that record.

Yeah, Conor Magill. He's a fit lad!

imtommygunn

Ai. Very accomplished runner in his day too.

nrico2006

Usually hit the rower for a warm up, time to 100 calories. Usually around 1:43 for 500m, in and around 4 minutes 20. Think it ends up being about 1400m. Nothing hurts more, apart from assault bike, consistently throughout, legs don't bend right for a minute after.

Did a 5k on the rower the other week, more to test the water to see how it felt throughout. Ended up around 1.57 per 500, disgusting again.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Main Street

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 22, 2023, 06:38:01 PM
Rowing is a torture,  rowing machines (the devil's invention) are for fitness masochists.

I'd rather pedal a windmill. :D

Speaking of which, I often thought if only devices such as the echo bike (and all the other  exercise bikes), could be rigged up to a generator you could probably light up the town.

tonto1888

Quote from: Main Street on February 23, 2023, 07:14:21 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 22, 2023, 06:38:01 PM

I'd rather pedal a windmill. :D

Speaking of which, I often thought if only devices such as the echo bike (and all the other  exercise bikes), could be rigged up to a generator you could probably light up the town.

For a little while anyway

harryR

What's everyone's thoughts on people doing gym sessions before Gaelic/hurling/football matches. Either a few hours before or even some the day before

Milltown Row2

Quote from: harryR on February 23, 2023, 08:41:46 PM
What's everyone's thoughts on people doing gym sessions before Gaelic/hurling/football matches. Either a few hours before or even some the day before

Personally if I was a manager and knew one of my players was at the gym lifting weights I'd be dropping him.

Risk of injury and reduced stamina...

Who is recommending this?
By all means go stretch, gentle jog ending in a minute sprint
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mourne Red

Quote from: harryR on February 23, 2023, 08:41:46 PM

If you're not going to be part of the 20 involved in the match then go ahead.. Else I'd leave it until after the match

Armagh18

Science backs a primer session the day before a match to get the muscles firing. Nothing too straining and low reps!