Free Staters and their hypocrisy on their violent, bloody past

Started by Angelo, May 11, 2021, 09:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: johnnycool on May 14, 2021, 10:44:20 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2021, 10:43:09 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on May 14, 2021, 10:29:17 AM
Either way, I don't believe for one minute you lived through a day of conflict.
A bit like the Sinn Fein leadership

Ha ha, Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
The overwhelming majority of people who lived through conflict did so through no choice whatsoever of their own

Strange you think I'd be "damning" them

I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy that SF supporters here routinely say that other posters have no right to an opinion because they didn't live through the NI Troubles - though I would point out the Troubles were far from confined to NI, my father lived a mile from where the 1974 Dublin bomb went off, he heard it going off

The current Sinn Fein leader did not, so by their reckoning she is clueless

Yet they deny she is, even though by what they say she would have to be

sid waddell

Quote from: Snapchap on May 14, 2021, 10:30:52 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 14, 2021, 09:17:57 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on May 13, 2021, 04:11:16 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 13, 2021, 04:01:05 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on May 13, 2021, 08:18:04 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 12, 2021, 11:13:25 PM
It's quite delicious to see all our resident Provos suddenly coming across as the bastard love children of Eoghan Harris and Ruth Dudley Edwards.  ;D

Their self hatred must be off the charts.

They hate the IRA of the war of independence era because they were led and manned by Southerners

And the key point

They Won

They drove the Brits out of their areas

Something they couldn't achieve in the north

They failed. They wanted to free ireland. They didn't

True, they only managed to free 26 of our counties.

I guess you didn't participate much the 2016 celebrations/commemorations? The Wolfe Tone songbook must make you puke?

No, why would I "puke" at commemorating the Old IRA? I'm not foolish enough to argue that their campaign was unjustified purely because they didn't achieve everything they set out to achieve.
Do you think the Palestinian intifada of 2000-2003 was justified?

tonto1888

Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2021, 11:04:38 AM

The overwhelming majority of people who lived through conflict did so through no choice whatsoever of their own

I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy that SF supporters here routinely say that other posters have no right to an opinion because they didn't live through the NI Troubles - though I would point out the Troubles were far from confined to NI, my father lived a mile from where the 1974 Dublin bomb went off, he heard it going off

Really? That's what you're going with? Your father heard a bomb going off??

Snapchap

Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2021, 10:59:06 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on May 14, 2021, 10:52:53 AM
You accused me of being "into dead children" and made a false allegation that another poster accused you of child rape. Stop trying to engage with me, you lowlife.
If you didn't want to be accused of doing that, you shouldn't have done it

A bit how if the PIRA don't want to be accused of being murderers, they shouldn't have been a murder gang

Anyway, I thought you were ignoring me?

Doesn't look like it
You accused me of being "into dead children" and made a false allegation that another poster accused you of child rape. Stop trying to engage with me, you lowlife.

johnnycool

Your Da heard a bomb going off? who does he blame for the bomb going off? Gerry Adams perchance or maybe the British Army before you had you Road to Damascus moment? Did he seek help?

You can always have an opinion, I and many have opinions on Covid and various other things but they're not worth my arse full of warm snow compared to an epidemiologist.

Rudi

Jaysus that must have been incredibly traumatic. Just a mile away, imagine if he was half a mile or if the metric system was in at the time 1/2 a kilometre. Thats life changing stuff, those big bad Nordies would have nothing on your father. You have won this debate for sure Sid. Close the thread ;D

Applesisapples

It is ok to have an opinion, but it must be informed. It seems to me that a majority of posters have no idea of the situation nationalist were in which led to the troubles. They are either too young or live in the South. Nationalism's lot has improved significantly from the GFA. But prior to that and from the foundation of NI there was systematic government  and institutional discrimination. I am not in any way condoning violence but as with the rest of Ireland in the early 20th century to many violence seemed to be the only way to get the British attention. I think that the point that Angelo is making is valid in so far as it applies to political parties both North and South but not to all the population in the ROI, some do understand the complicated situation here.

sid waddell

Quote from: Rudi on May 14, 2021, 11:46:59 AM

Jaysus that must have been incredibly traumatic. Just a mile away, imagine if he was half a mile or if the metric system was in at the time 1/2 a kilometre. Thats life changing stuff, those big bad Nordies would have nothing on your father. You have won this debate for sure Sid. Close the thread ;D
So by your logic, living in NI during the Troubles was not traumatic for most people

Where are you from?

sid waddell

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 14, 2021, 12:31:21 PM

It is ok to have an opinion, but it must be informed.
Very few NI opinions on this forum are informed

They are ruled by extreme emotion

These are the very worst types of opinions

On the whole, posters from the Republic seem far better informed

Rossfan

Most of us know well that Nationalists in the North had a terrible time of it, oppression, discrimination etc, beaten off the Streets by Michaelg's RUC pals etc etc.
The PIRA was an inevitable outcome.
However what did they achieve by continuing their War past 1973/4? *
They lost any sympathy in the 26 when they decided to engage in their war this side of the border too, killing Gardai etc, sectarian murder of a Protestant Senator and so on.

As for the title of the thread ...events of 100 years ago are irrelevant to most "freestaters" (sic) just as events of 1968- 98 are irrelevant to those younger voters who voted SF in the 2020 GE.

* They enabled the Brits to turn the situation from being an Irish/British political thing into a Police v Criminals matter and "those Irish fighting each other about religion"
There was definitely no justification for carrying on a war after the 1985 Anglo Irish Agreement.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sid waddell

Quote from: Snapchap on May 14, 2021, 11:43:05 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2021, 10:59:06 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on May 14, 2021, 10:52:53 AM
If you didn't want to be accused of doing that, you shouldn't have done it

A bit how if the PIRA don't want to be accused of being murderers, they shouldn't have been a murder gang

Anyway, I thought you were ignoring me?

Doesn't look like it
What I said was true

You seem angry that your views have been exposed, and by a poster from the Republic at that

Calling me names isn't helping your case

It seems Shinnerbots here have very little else other than childish insults

It's frustrating

trailer

This thread is modern day SF in a nutshell. The good old PIRA were protecting the nationalist community.
No mention of
The people they disappeared from their own communities
The many murders against innocent nationalists
The shootings and beatings carried out against their own community
The racketeering and protection money
Fags, Diesel, Drugs and other illegal smuggling operations
The many members of the PIRA who told the British Secret Service everything compromising many innocent lives like Anthony Hughes at Loughgal.

PIRA did more harm to their own community than the British Army ever did.

sid waddell

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 14, 2021, 11:23:55 AM

Really? That's what you're going with? Your father heard a bomb going off??
You didn't have to live down here

Your view is ill-informed

Harold Disgracey

A little reminder of the realities of growing up in Portadown and its environs. The one time Billy and his mates tried to conduct an operation, shooting up the Tír na nÓg clubhouse, they managed to miss the building.

https://youtu.be/a3fpAoIeuZ8

sid waddell

Quote from: trailer on May 14, 2021, 12:56:22 PM
PIRA did more harm to their own community than the British Army ever did.
And look at what the PIRA did to the Teggarts who did suffer at the hands of the Brits at Ballymurphy

Dragged 15 year old Bernard out and shot him dead two years later

"Protecting our community"