Westmeath v Armagh (Sat 08.07.17) Cusack Park, 7pm

Started by illdecide, June 26, 2017, 09:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 10, 2017, 12:35:05 PM
Quote from: Taylor on July 10, 2017, 11:40:26 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 10, 2017, 11:33:36 AM
I unfortunately missed the match due to family commitments, so I can't comment on the specifics of this Ref's performance. What I have witnessed from Armagh in league and championship is a tendency for some players to do incredibly stupid things, whether it is late hits, slapping the ball away after a free is given and in the case of some individuals poor tackling. What has frustrated me as a spectator though is a lack of consistency from Ref's. What is given as a free at one end isn't at the other. In Jamie Clarke we have a very gifted footballer, but in the games I've seen him play he has been frustrated by a lack of protection from Ref's and has been on the wrong end of poor decisions. Against Fermanagh James Morgan made at least 3 tackles and similarly against Down where he clearly played the ball away but because he was behind the man a free was blown for absolutely no reason. My point is if you are going to let play go as happens in hurling then do so consistently. I have a perception that Armagh are hard done my, but that is personal bias. No harm to LS you can not be entirely neutral it is not in human nature. On the black card it was introduced as a reaction to the outcry after Kavanagh's cynical foul on McManus. The problem seems to be the scope has widened and no one including myself seems to be clear on application. It should be simplified to any foul play that denies a goal scoring opportunity that warrants a yellow as opposed to red card. Other cynical fouls should be yellows.

This is incorrect. Was mentioned well before this incident.
Might have been mentioned but the introduction followed swiftly after the controversy surrounding it. Any way nit picking aside it remains unclear to most how it should be applied and application is not consistent that is the actual point I am making.

It had already been passed at Congress previous to Cavanagh's manhood being called into question.

Taylor

Quote from: OgraAnDun on July 10, 2017, 12:45:06 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 10, 2017, 12:35:05 PM
Quote from: Taylor on July 10, 2017, 11:40:26 AM
I unfortunately missed the match due to family commitments, so I can't comment on the specifics of this Ref's performance. What I have witnessed from Armagh in league and championship is a tendency for some players to do incredibly stupid things, whether it is late hits, slapping the ball away after a free is given and in the case of some individuals poor tackling. What has frustrated me as a spectator though is a lack of consistency from Ref's. What is given as a free at one end isn't at the other. In Jamie Clarke we have a very gifted footballer, but in the games I've seen him play he has been frustrated by a lack of protection from Ref's and has been on the wrong end of poor decisions. Against Fermanagh James Morgan made at least 3 tackles and similarly against Down where he clearly played the ball away but because he was behind the man a free was blown for absolutely no reason. My point is if you are going to let play go as happens in hurling then do so consistently. I have a perception that Armagh are hard done my, but that is personal bias. No harm to LS you can not be entirely neutral it is not in human nature. On the black card it was introduced as a reaction to the outcry after Kavanagh's cynical foul on McManus. The problem seems to be the scope has widened and no one including myself seems to be clear on application. It should be simplified to any foul play that denies a goal scoring opportunity that warrants a yellow as opposed to red card. Other cynical fouls should be yellows.

This is incorrect. Was mentioned well before this incident.
Might have been mentioned but the introduction followed swiftly after the controversy surrounding it. Any way nit picking aside it remains unclear to most how it should be applied and application is not consistent that is the actual point I am making.

It had already been passed at Congress previous to Cavanagh's manhood being called into question.

Ogra is 100% correct - this nonsense that Brolly got it introduced is a soundbite

brokencrossbar1

And Brolly has repeatedly confirmed that it was nothing to do with him.

Applesisapples

And nit picking aside my point remains the same, I don't particularly care when, I'm more interested on the how and where.

Lucifer

James Morgan did not play against Fermanagh (to further continue the nit picking.)

I agree with the sentiment that there is little consistency in refereeing, however I do feel the overarching problem is no clearly defined tackle thus leaving it a very difficult rule to implement. What may seem like "the same incident" usually has some nuance which makes it slightly different. Each decision has to be made on it's own merits, even if I do feel referees should try to blow less (a bit of a contradiction I know.)

Finally, against Fermanagh Jamie needed no protection whasoever. In fact when making runs he tended to initially instigate contact with his man in order to create space for himself to get in front. I was a bit disappointed in our defender who allowed it to happen so often.

Croí na hÉireann

The attacks on loneshark for not being neutral are laughable, there would have been no one jumping higher than him a few weeks ago if Offaly had beaten us either of the two days out.

Really disappointed with that referee on Saturday, he was incapable of making a decision himself and only for the officials on the sidelines who had to come on and point out obvious cards to him it would have been a bloodbath. That said, we kicked it away. 1-7 won't win you anything and the points we missed towards the end were soul destroying.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

illdecide

Really looking forward to this game and my first visit to Thurles, a 50/50 game where both teams will fancy their chances. Hope it's better than our last game v Westmeath. Armagh have a big game in them and hope we'll need it further down the road, Tipp have showed what they're capable off esp last year and are starting to build a bit of momentum, This game will be a good confidence builder for whoever wins it.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Orior

I'm also looking forward to my first visit to Semple Stadium. However, I think Armagh peaked against Westmeath and will struggle Tipp, loosing by 7 or 8 points.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on July 12, 2017, 01:02:51 PM
I'm also looking forward to my first visit to Semple Stadium. However, I think Armagh peaked against Westmeath and will struggle Tipp, loosing by 7 or 8 points.

Not much of a peak, hardly even a drumlin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

you take er!

What's the story with ye Westmeath men?? You don't come out to support your county at home then you criticise Armagh for daring to travel in numbers (took over the ground was the quote I think) you slate us for contributing to the local economy, (how dare we) and then when your subs fire water bottles at our supporters we again come off badly!! I would suggest your county delegates should be more concerned about getting your own supporters to games and finding players who can put the ball over the bar. Worst case of sour grapes I've heard in a long time.

punt kick

Quote from: you take er! on July 26, 2017, 04:57:13 PM
What's the story with ye Westmeath men?? You don't come out to support your county at home then you criticise Armagh for daring to travel in numbers (took over the ground was the quote I think) you slate us for contributing to the local economy, (how dare we) and then when your subs fire water bottles at our supporters we again come off badly!! I would suggest your county delegates should be more concerned about getting your own supporters to games and finding players who can put the ball over the bar. Worst case of sour grapes I've heard in a long time.

Yerrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

red hander

manfromdelmonte

I bet most of the delegates weren't at the game

top table in westmeath are a shambles

armaghniac

Cusack Park was substantially full, a lot more WH people would have raised issues of capacity.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Croí na hÉireann

Interesting perspective, thanks for your kind suggestions, duly noted and much appreciated.

Didn't witness any aggression on the terrace but then again I was more concerned with the unchecked aggression on the field and on the sideline. Can't ever remember Gardai having to intervene in the stands before in Cusack Park, make of that what you will.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...