?
10 (47.6%)
?
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Rawhide

Quote from: oakleaflad on February 26, 2019, 11:06:56 AM
Quote from: braveheart on February 26, 2019, 10:32:52 AM
We are a division 4 team playing poor quality opposition.The crowd attendances doesn't surprise me. If there were 1500 supporters at Glen then there'll be less than 500 at Celtic park. 2 interesting things of note from the weekend game. 10 players from Sneil/Glen started the game. And not 1 player from North Derry started or came off the bench. Yes,South Derry is the heartland.
You definitely have some sort of a superiority complex. I don't think anyone in North Derry would argue that South Derry clubs are stronger and have more county level players. As you say though, we are a Division 4 team, we need everyone from any corner of the county in future if we are to improve.

You are right, we do, but we also need clubs like Bellaghy, Lavey and Dungiven and to be fair Glenullin, whenever these clubs are producing 2/3 senior county footballers Derry are strong
cccc is a true supporter lol

toby47

Quote from: Rawhide on February 26, 2019, 11:37:58 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on February 26, 2019, 11:06:56 AM
Quote from: braveheart on February 26, 2019, 10:32:52 AM
We are a division 4 team playing poor quality opposition.The crowd attendances doesn't surprise me. If there were 1500 supporters at Glen then there'll be less than 500 at Celtic park. 2 interesting things of note from the weekend game. 10 players from Sneil/Glen started the game. And not 1 player from North Derry started or came off the bench. Yes,South Derry is the heartland.
You definitely have some sort of a superiority complex. I don't think anyone in North Derry would argue that South Derry clubs are stronger and have more county level players. As you say though, we are a Division 4 team, we need everyone from any corner of the county in future if we are to improve.

You are right, we do, but we also need clubs like Bellaghy, Lavey and Dungiven and to be fair Glenullin, whenever these clubs are producing 2/3 senior county footballers Derry are strong

Lavey had 3 men on the panel on Sunday - a good representation?

Rawhide

that's correct. I am talking about the clubs contributing those players at the same time, not in isolation. Thought that was obvious.
cccc is a true supporter lol

toby47

Quote from: Rawhide on February 26, 2019, 11:46:29 AM
that's correct. I am talking about the clubs contributing those players at the same time, not in isolation. Thought that was obvious.

Don't quite get you're logic.

We need the best players from the top teams to have a good county team Eg Slaughtneil Coleraine Lavey Glen Magherafelt etc. At the minute we have a right few from these clubs bar Coleraine.

Why do we need players from Glenullin? Nothing against Glenullin but if naming them then why not name the likes of Greenlough/Newbridge and other div 1B clubs.

Josey Wales

Quote from: toby47 on February 26, 2019, 11:56:25 AM

We need the best players from the top teams to have a good county team Eg Slaughtneil Coleraine Lavey Glen Magherafelt etc. At the minute we have a right few from these clubs bar Coleraine.

Why do we need players from Glenullin? Nothing against Glenullin but if naming them then why not name the likes of Greenlough/Newbridge and other div 1B clubs.

Need players from Dungiven.  Good Derry teams always had 2 or 3 starters from there in the past.  Dont honestly know what has happened them in the past 10 or so years.  They have good young players starting to come through now to their seniors.  Maybe things will change.

thepundit

Quote from: Josey Wales on February 26, 2019, 01:26:31 PM

Need players from Dungiven.  Good Derry teams always had 2 or 3 starters from there in the past.  Dont honestly know what has happened them in the past 10 or so years.  They have good young players starting to come through now to their seniors.  Maybe things will change.

what a load of shite this is! why should it matter how many dungiven men are on the panel because of years gone by. Derry need their best players available whether its 10 players from slaughtneil or 3 players from ardmore. if we are picking players from dungiven  or any other club because of years gone by we may just live in the 90s and re watch games on VCR.

Josey Wales

Quote from: thepundit on February 26, 2019, 04:36:50 PM

what a load of shite this is! why should it matter how many dungiven men are on the panel because of years gone by. Derry need their best players available whether its 10 players from slaughtneil or 3 players from ardmore. if we are picking players from dungiven  or any other club because of years gone by we may just live in the 90s and re watch games on VCR.

You obviously don't get the point and im not going to educate you with a post like that.

restorepride

Quote from: Josey Wales on February 26, 2019, 04:55:51 PM

You obviously don't get the point and im not going to educate you with a post like that.
Could you educate me instead please?

Josey Wales

Quote from: restorepride on February 26, 2019, 08:55:20 PM

Dungiven down through the years always had 2-3 top quality players in a Derry team .  That conveyor belt stopped for some reason.  For Derry to get back to being a force we need Big clubs like Dungiven to start producing them caliber of players again.  As i said they have some good young players coming into the senior team so that may be starting to change.

Derry Optimist

One of the central hallmarks of any successful team is to have a forward line who will strike terror, in scoring terms,  into the opposing defence every  time they gain possession of the ball.It would appear that Emmett Bradley,Christopher Bradley,Enda Lynn,Shane McGuigan,Padraig Cassidy,Niall Toner,Benny Heron and Ryan Bell will be the main contenders for the six forward starting positions if Derry  were to have a full quota to select from this year.

True they are all very accurate score getters but unfortunately there does not seem to be any palpable fear amongst opponents whenever they get the ball or am I too harsh or have I omitted  a more potent scoring forward in the county?

BuzzKill (Version II)

I see at long last the fixture lists for the leagues are now on the Derry website. However you do have to go looking for it.

Start with 4 games in April (first 3 games in 10 days?!?). Then a 12 week break, with the league starting up again in middle of July.

oakleaflad

On the fixtures, does anyone know when there will be an Underage schedule released?

toby47

Quote from: oakleaflad on February 27, 2019, 12:52:50 PM
On the fixtures, does anyone know when there will be an Underage schedule released?

It is already released, not sure if its on the website or anything yet though.

All clubs have it

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Josey Wales on February 27, 2019, 09:44:52 AM
Quote from: restorepride on February 26, 2019, 08:55:20 PM

Dungiven down through the years always had 2-3 top quality players in a Derry team .  That conveyor belt stopped for some reason.  For Derry to get back to being a force we need Big clubs like Dungiven to start producing them caliber of players again.  As i said they have some good young players coming into the senior team so that may be starting to change.
They all prefer hurling now

The intercounty hurling team has a few lads that should be on the starting xv in football.

BackInTheGame

Quote from: Derry Optimist on February 27, 2019, 11:52:25 AM
One of the central hallmarks of any successful team is to have a forward line who will strike terror, in scoring terms,  into the opposing defence every  time they gain possession of the ball.It would appear that Emmett Bradley,Christopher Bradley,Enda Lynn,Shane McGuigan,Padraig Cassidy,Niall Toner,Benny Heron and Ryan Bell will be the main contenders for the six forward starting positions if Derry  were to have a full quota to select from this year.

True they are all very accurate score getters but unfortunately there does not seem to be any palpable fear amongst opponents whenever they get the ball or am I too harsh or have I omitted  a more potent scoring forward in the county?
We've got a fine set of forwards. All good players and probably as good as a unit as we've had for a while. We just miss a Paddy Bradley/Skinner who will 9 times out of 10 obliterate their marker. Although as we know the game has changed (for the worse?...) these days and even those two boys would find space at a premium in many games.