USFC Round 1: Derry vs. Antrim

Started by whiskeysteve, May 06, 2007, 09:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real SlimShady

if you'd have Joe Quinn on as a 'high fielding midfielder' ahead of Michael McCann you need yer head checking.

robertemmet

Who will be Derry's first scorer?

Vote on the Derry website www.derrygaa.ie

ExiledGael

Strange match today, the best team won no doubt but Antrim looked good at times.
CJ and Paddy Cunnngham kicked some brilliant scores, McGourty is going to be some player in a few years, scored a real peach with the outside of his boot in the second half
Muldoon was impressive, Gilligan at times also

Craigyhill Terror

Antrim aren't in the Qualifiers

And Gilligan was awful

ExiledGael

Hungry Exile

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on June 10, 2007, 06:16:47 PM
Antrim aren't in the Qualifiers

And Gilligan was awful

Would agree Gilligan had a poor first half in front of goal, but we killed Antrim in the second half within 2 minutes of the restart.  Was it not Gilligan who disposessed the Antrim defender that led to the goal? At the end when Derry was playing cat & mouse on the 45 it was Gilligan who looked up & drove over a pont from 50m.  I'm sure Crozier won't mind if he is equally as awful against Monaghan as long as he scores 6 points!!!

Maximus Marillius

Maybe its me...perhaps the sun got to me...but I thought the game was just awful. Derry were very very poor and I thought  Antrim was an excuse for a  county team. The game was a bore from start to finish. I also thought the ref was going to mess the entire proceddings altogether, what a tube. Derry have an awful lot of improving to do...perhaps the old adage of when playing a poor team they can bring you down to their standard applied to Derry. Lynchboy your fault of the Derry team came to hunt them in fine style today. For the first 10 minutes Derry were direct and put first time ball into Muldoon and occassionally Lynch. We were 6pts up to 1pt...then guess what.....we tried to fist the ball up our arses...drive you nuts. In truth the score line after 20 minutes should have read 10ts to 2pts allowing for reasonable misses, but simple frees and easy chances went to the wall. Derry responded well after half time and the goal ensured an easy win. I read a poster earlier who thought Antrim played really good football at times....I'm stunned.

Slim if the Antrim captain from Cargin cannot get on that forward line we have to assume that the manager should be charged with gross incompetance in assessing him good enough to be captain in the first place.

ONeill

I left at half time as the sun was baking the son but it didn't pain me as I also thought it was a real yawnathon. Derry realised early on that they weren't up against much and stepped off the gas/lost focus. Antrim were devoid of any game plan.

I'd worry about Crozier. He makes some rare decisions at times. Derry were strolling but for some strange reason he decided to move Lynch into the middle from FF and he just clogged up an already congested area. That was when Antrim began to pick up scraps.

I heard later that Gormley took off Niblock. Is that correct? Why? I thought he was one of Antrim's best players from what I saw. CJ fulfilling his promise rapidly.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

PlayWithTheWind

Quote from: ONeill on June 10, 2007, 09:30:18 PM
I heard later that Gormley took off Niblock. Is that correct? Why? I thought he was one of Antrim's best players from what I saw.

Niblock is over-rated, the boy cant run. I saw him leave the ground as the match was over, looked as if he went straight to the shower after being taking off. Strange for a player not to leave with the rest of the team.
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

stiffler

I seen a poster on this board got interviewed there for the championship show, acting very sensible and mature. Its well seen his university days are behind him.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

The Real SlimShady

awful game and on that display we're an awful team.

Beaten by a piss poor Derry side who will get ass raped by Monaghan. Gormley oviously hasnt got a clue what he's at, most of the game he left McGourty & Cunningham up front with FOUR Derry defenders- FOUR!! he seemed to be happy to let Derry run through and pray they put it wide from long range (which they did-12 times!!)

McGourty totally justified his selection, Gallagher was pathetic, though I thought Niblock played rightly.

McVeigh- terrible performance.

Crozier played well and was Antrims next best to McGourty (2 minors from last year!) Mick McCann done well and had some class catches.

Joe Quinn is done.

McGreevey ditto.

Another disasterous year, now the boys can sail off to America and we can get on with the club scene. f**k the Murphy Cup, isnt worth a shite.

Edit: and if anyone knows where the f**k James Loughrey went between 3.30pm and 5pm they can let us know.

Maximus Marillius

looking forward to hearing what excuses John Joe and Slim come up with for that performance...Derry were missing the two Bradleys and Mc Guckian...and still cantered to an easy win. It hard to believe that after 7 months of work that was Antrims best effort. More passion in tea bag. It has been 41 years since Antrim last beat Derry in the championship, 1966...on yesterdays show its going to be good few years more :D

WTF is Brolly doing coaching the Antrim forwards....on the evidence it looks like he has not a clue either. I noticed that in his Sunday column in the Irish Mail on Sunday he never commented on either last Sunday or this about the game, due to his involvment with Antrim....what a joke

johnjoe

Antrim seconds were woeful, Derry only marginally better.

Antrim have at least 6 players just not up to county level and they were always going to be exposed at this level.

No ifs or buts, jody Gormley had an absolute stinker in terms of positional sense and tactically I never saw worse at this level.  I will go into more detail later.

The big question is can we get all our best players back on board, because Sean Kelly, kevin Mc Gourty, Tony Convery, Michael Magill, Mark Dougan, Michael Herron (hurling) Gerard O Boyle etc are grade A players who would undoubtedly have made a massive difference. and I can think of a few others.

This is not Derrys problem, and I genuinly wish them well, but they know they will need improvement from yesterdays performance.

Maximus Marillius

On another note, I thought the booing for PB coming on yesterday was nothing short of disgraceful

screenmachine

is pb carrying an injury springfield? the booing was expected after all antrim were cheering derrys wides...spides...any word on skinners suspension?
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.