Hurling Semi Finals

Started by manfromdelmonte, August 04, 2016, 12:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on August 12, 2016, 12:18:25 PM
Maybe it's aspirational, but I do think that a lot of teams approach playing KK with fear and a lack of belief, much to their detriment. Deise had a right go last Sunday and it oh-so nearly got them across the line. No reason again why they can't do the same. Much has rightfully been made about KK's record in replays, but 6 days isn't a lot of time to put right the problems from the drawn game, i.e. Mick Fennelly's legs, the lack of outright hurling ability in Cl Fennelly, J Power, W Walsh among others, the lack of depth on the bench. KK as I've often said are greater than the sum of their parts, but renewed conviction and a goal or two might just do it for the Blaas.

Tipp look to be the form team at present and they have a good FB line and a much-improved midfield. Forwards are free-scoring if given space but the HF line mightn't be as good as perceived where the presence of Bonnar Maher is always reassuring for opponents. Galway's HF line isn't the strongest either - failures and inconsistency here cost them mostly in the Leinster final. Mgmt. have rectified some of the problems from then by bringing Coen to midfield and dropping Niall Burke. However questions remain about the form and - again - consistency of a lot of Galway's forwards, Whelan, C Mannion, Flynn, C Cooney; will there ever be a full 70 minutes in Joseph Cooney and will rookies Tuohy and McInerney be found wanting as they step up again? Galway's bench could be worse where the right noises are being made about Tan's return from injury.

Think one of the outsiders will win this weekend but unfortunately it's more likely to be Waterford :-(
That is like late Fergie Man U. They won the title because of psychology.
Last week they never managed the second half intensity push. If Waterford score a goal at the right time they could do it.

manfromdelmonte

Maybe it's aspirational, but I do think that a lot of teams approach playing KK with fear and a lack of belief, much to their detriment. Deise had a right go last Sunday and it oh-so nearly got them across the line. No reason again why they can't do the same. Much has rightfully been made about KK's record in replays, but 6 days isn't a lot of time to put right the problems from the drawn game, i.e. Mick Fennelly's legs, the lack of outright hurling ability in Cl Fennelly, J Power, W Walsh among others, the lack of depth on the bench. KK as I've often said are greater than the sum of their parts, but renewed conviction and a goal or two might just do it for the Blaas.
Delighted someone else has spotted the lack of hurling in J Power, W Walsh and C Fennelly. Their job is to bulldoze through defenders and lay off the ball to a finisher.

johnneycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 12, 2016, 09:26:54 PM
Delighted someone else has spotted the lack of hurling in J Power, W Walsh and C Fennelly. Their job is to bulldoze through defenders and lay off the ball to a finisher.

Kieran Joyce was also all at sea, I'm surprised at him retaining a start, presume big Lennon is injured as to why he didn't feature.
Still wouldn't bet against the hoors though

Milltown Row2

God knows how many finals they have won between them, throw in your all stars and hurler of the year awards and young hurler of the year awards..... Hmmm rubbish
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 13, 2016, 12:38:22 AM

God knows how many finals they have won between them, throw in your all stars and hurler of the year awards and young hurler of the year awards..... Hmmm rubbish
Where was rubbish mentioned?

They have a specific role on the team - win ball, run directly, draw in defenders lay off ball to a finisher.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 13, 2016, 09:51:29 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 13, 2016, 12:38:22 AM

Where was rubbish mentioned?

They have a specific role on the team - win ball, run directly, draw in defenders lay off ball to a finisher.

Walsh, and Fennelly scored during this game, Walsh getting the game changer... To say that they just draw defenders in and lay off ball is silly, they win their own ball they run at players and shoot, if they easy choice at that moment is to give it to someone in a better position then that's as clever as taking a score, their skill level is as good if not better than most players in the top four teams... They are far from just work horses, or whatever you're trying to describe them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Fennelly is definitely not just that. Walsh is on a bad day. John power maybe is though.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 13, 2016, 10:57:09 AM
Fennelly is definitely not just that. Walsh is on a bad day. John power maybe is though.

John Power has been on that panel a seriously long time, I'm sure he was player of the year one year also, and that's hard to do while Shefflin was about.... Walsh has changed his game from being that target man, took a great score on the wing last week, not to mention the goal

theskull1

You're thinking of Richie Power Milltown
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on August 13, 2016, 01:41:02 PM
You're thinking of Richie Power Milltown

Aye... I'm thinking Richie!! My bad... I'll get my coat

gallsman

Colin Fennelly having a quare different game to last week. Lovely touch from Walsh for the second goal.

gallsman

Wildweasel74

Another hard encounter, Waterford were on top for a long time but Kilkenny kept in touch, last 10 mins kilkenny have got on top and its starting to show, 2nd half should be good, first half had some pace to it, with none of the embarrassing stuff with players lying down and sledging which is a regular feature in the football

maigheo

Rather enjoy Brendan Cummins as a commentator .He has a nice calm demeanor and does not talk for the sake of talking

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on August 13, 2016, 06:57:55 PM
Colin Fennelly having a quare different game to last week. Lovely touch from Walsh for the second goal.

Two carthorses' sure