2016 All Stars

Started by ONeill, July 20, 2016, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 06, 2016, 01:31:27 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 06, 2016, 11:22:46 AM
Diarmuid O'Connor nailed on for young POTY.

Don't think he was even all that great this year (maybe the early season injury had an affect) but it's not a strong list of contenders so he'll probably get it.

Even at U21 his only standout was v Dublin in the semi. Other lads were more influential in the Connacht and AI finals. At senior he did very little of note if we're being honest. Would be a strange choice.

Keegan the PotY in my eyes but it'll probably go to Kilkenny, who has shown incredible selflessness going from a scoring forward all the way up at underage to taking on a thankless role of being the linkman between attack and defence.

ZeitChrist

Kilkenny doesn't deserve player of the year unless you're going to dole them out now for lateral hand passing and over-carrying.

Blowitupref

Hasn't been a great year for forwards the top scorers C O Connor,D Rock got the majority of their scores from frees and yes I understand the importance of having a good free taker.. Geaney was the stand out forward from play and why Kerry subbed him of in semi final when the game was in the balance was almost as puzzling as Mayo dropping Clarke.

Hasn't been a vintage year for midfielders either when is the last time only one of finalist midfielders was nominated for All Star.

Defences were on top this year a pattern that will continue in the years ahead and will anger the football purists. So for me the POTY should go to a defender.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

macdanger2

I'd have thought Parsons would be in for a nomination anyway

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 06, 2016, 08:20:59 PM
I'd have thought Parsons would be in for a nomination anyway

He played very little this year! Was rested in a lot of games!

Wildweasel74

Cluxton
Harrison
Cooper
McMahon
keegan
Boyle
Small
Donnelly
Brennan
O`Connor
Kilkenny
Harte
Geaney
Connolly
Sweeney

5 Sams

I thought Geaney might have got a nod for POTY...I suppose Kerry not reaching the AIF ruled that out..but he was excellent all year.
The Aristocrat Years

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: J70 on October 06, 2016, 11:52:01 AM
They won't win an award, but nice to see Paddy McGrath and Patrick McBrearty recognized for their performances with nominations. McBrearty gave one of the scoring exhibitions of the year against Cork when we actually got some ball into him, while McGrath, who was excellent all year, showed he is fit for the very best with two great games against Conor McManus.

McBrearty blows hot and cold too much. McGrath has developed into one of the top defenders in the game in recent years, he has really improved since he started out.

McHugh should be nailed one but he could be going the Dessie Mone route of getting robbed every year. He has deserved an All Star in each of the past 3 years.

Il Bomber Destro

Also they should just go with two scoring forwards in the All Star team anymore given that most teams only play with two inside men these days.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 06, 2016, 10:00:16 PM
I thought Geaney might have got a nod for POTY...I suppose Kerry not reaching the AIF ruled that out..but he was excellent all year.

With respect, who did he face in Championship football. Clare x 2, Tipperary then taken off in the only real test they had, a game they were beat in.

Lee Keegan for me.

5 Sams

Quote from: north aontroim gael on October 06, 2016, 10:21:48 PM

With respect, who did he face in Championship football. Clare x 2, Tipperary then taken off in the only real test they had, a game they were beat in.

Lee Keegan for me.

Fair enough but he did the business in every game he played in...so do you judge it on individual performances or the opposition he was up against???
The Aristocrat Years

tippabu

Quote from: north aontroim gael on October 06, 2016, 10:21:48 PM

Lee Keegan for me.

That a piss take bout him being taken off? Everyone agreed after it was a terrible call as he was the best player for kerry that day.

tippabu

Tipp with more nominations than kerry and two nominated for ypoty.....quinlivan will beonly one to get anything with comerford and acheson unlucky to miss out but still.....viva la revolution!!

muppet

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 06, 2016, 09:06:22 PM
Cluxton
Harrison
Cooper
McMahon
keegan
Boyle
Small
Donnelly
Brennan
O`Connor
Kilkenny
Harte
Geaney
Connolly
Sweeney

Durcan ahead of Boyler for me. I think Fenton will get one.
MWWSI 2017

thewobbler

Clarke

Harrison
Cooper
McMahon

Keegan
Boyle
Small

Brennan
Fenton

Kilkenny
Connolly
Quinlivan

Rock
Geaney
Moran

Harte and Durcan have a chance of squeezing in. Maybe Cluxton. But that 15 will take at least 13 spots.