2016 All Stars

Started by ONeill, July 20, 2016, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: saffronandblue on October 03, 2016, 09:56:15 PM
Very hard to believe or stomach that Kevin McLoughlin will once again be overlooked for an All-star.....a real reliable class performer in every game.......

+1. His best year since 2012 I would say. Did his job effectively and grew into his role as the summer progressed.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: moysider on October 04, 2016, 12:48:15 AM
Quote from: ZeitChrist on October 04, 2016, 12:16:38 AM
Keegan is the player of the year but he's too controversial. They bottled it with McMahon last year too because of the controversy around him. They won't give it to a non Dub anyway. Fenton will get it.

Keegan isn't a bit controversial. Takes on the tough assignments and takes it and leaves it behind after. Just shrugged his shoulders the last day after being wrongly carded. Got some of the best scores of the year while mostly playing in a deep defensive role. Not his problem if his excellence was singled out by a craven biased media as something to target. I'm sure though he doesn't give a f**k about these awards either.

I found his reaction to that black card curious. It was like he knew what he was at and got caught in the act.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 04, 2016, 12:59:00 AM
Very hard to believe or stomach that Kevin McLoughlin will once again be overlooked for an All-star.....a real reliable class performer in every game.......

+1. His best year since 2012 I would say. Did his job effectively and grew into his role as the summer progressed.

Maybe because he has been used in so many roles that it tells against him. Also the fact that pundits crucified him in earlier games in sweeper role when he actually played very well imo. The last day he played a wing back type role that probably suits him most. Mayo's trouble is that we have any amount of fine half backs and the most likely lads coming through are also defenders.

moysider

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 04, 2016, 01:01:28 AM
Keegan is the player of the year but he's too controversial. They bottled it with McMahon last year too because of the controversy around him. They won't give it to a non Dub anyway. Fenton will get it.

Keegan isn't a bit controversial. Takes on the tough assignments and takes it and leaves it behind after. Just shrugged his shoulders the last day after being wrongly carded. Got some of the best scores of the year while mostly playing in a deep defensive role. Not his problem if his excellence was singled out by a craven biased media as something to target. I'm sure though he doesn't give a f**k about these awards either.

I found his reaction to that black card curious. It was like he knew what he was at and got caught in the act.

Dunno. Not a lad to stamp his feet and throw a strop. More like he knew he just had to accept it. He played a lot of rugby where you just take the medicine and don t argue with officials.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 04, 2016, 12:59:00 AM

God I don't agree about him. I think he lost an awful lot of ball for Mayo, and he was neither fish nor fowl as a sweeper either. The amount of times in defense he's just kind of 'there' but not getting in a tackle or cutting out a pass is far too high for a sweeper. And then when he brings the ball forward his distribution wasn't quick enough, or good enough in my opinion. I don't think he's that sort of footballer, and I think it didn't suit him. Potentially Diarmuid O'Connor might be suited to that role a bit better. Ironically someone like Cillian O'Connor might be best of all. He seems to be able to pass very well, reads a game well. But I doubt ye'd want to take him away from the goals.

rosnarun

what pissed  off people about McLoughlin's Sweeper role is he created his own version of it which meant it was as much an attacking role as a defensive one. this allowed mayo half back to concentrate more one defending than in recent years . I think a lot of people just didnt get it.

as for the all stars  surely Conor McManus must get one he was in line for player of the year at one stage but monaghan earlyish removal would paid paid to that . i think he will still get one
i would also expect awards for Cathal mc carron peter harte,
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Maroon Manc

Quote from: rosnarun on October 04, 2016, 10:29:11 AM
what pissed  off people about McLoughlin's Sweeper role is he created his own version of it which meant it was as much an attacking role as a defensive one. this allowed mayo half back to concentrate more one defending than in recent years . I think a lot of people just didnt get it.

as for the all stars  surely Conor McManus must get one he was in line for player of the year at one stage but monaghan earlyish removal would paid paid to that . i think he will still get one

You're not the first to plump for McCarron, i'll be amazed if he gets one though. I agree with Harte although given Durcan's performances in both finals he might be pushed out.

AZOffaly

I got it. It was the same role as Bryan Fox tried to play for Tipperary. I just don't think McLoughlin was very good at it.

straightred

Isn't this the problem with the allstars. it will always be front loaded with 10 or 11 from the final and then a few from the semi finalist and maybe one from the quarters. Maybe I'm answering the wrong question but if the question was to pick my best 15 players from this years championship then Gary Brennan, peter Harte and Conor McManus would be certs. However I doubt any of those will get a gong.

Fuzzman

I can't really see what is all the fuss about Fenton. Yes I thought he did well last year but he certainly didn't stand out that much for me this year. Of course he's a talented and skillful player but you would hardly say he dominated around midfield this year and did he score much from play?1 v Kerry & did he get one or two v Mayo?

I'd say yes to an All star as there are so few others but POTY I don't agree. The role of MF has changed a lot and especially with Dublin, there are so many short kickouts that high fielding is rare now but I expecting more of him pushing forward this year. Mattie Donnelly scored 9 points from play this year and Acheson I thought played well all year.

rosnarun

i would have mentione Mattie Donnelly too but i wouldn't want any one to think i like tyrone.

i dont hink you can compare Fox to Mclouglin Mc loughlins footpassing vision and defensive skill would set him well apart.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mrdeeds

MDM once got player of the year for running around a lot. Fenton has a chance.

Jinxy

Fenton is a much better footballer than MacAuley.
He can actually kick the ball.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

PW Nally

Quote from: Jinxy on October 04, 2016, 04:35:50 PM
Fenton is a much better footballer than MacAuley.
He can actually kick the ball.
McAuley is the footballing equivalent of Paula Radcliffe.

Fenton just glides around the place. Class operator.

ZeitChrist

I don't know why you're getting so defensive. I really like Keegan. I think he's the best player in the country and the player of the year this year. He'd walk onto any team in the country and I don't think there's anything wrong or illegal about how he plays the game. My point was simply that he has become a controversial figure this year, rightly or wrongly, and they won't give the player of the year to somebody like that. The same way they wouldn't give it to McMahon last year. The likes of Brian Fenton are downright vanilla compared to the Keegans of the world and they're always going to be the safer bet for these awards where people won't want to rock the boat too much with their choices. Can you imagine the shite the Dubs would kick up if they gave the player of the year to Keegan?