Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

I'd like to see Niall McKenna on the bench as he offers us a good aerial presence in the full forward line if we want to mix it up.

Doubt we will see it. Wonder if Big Joe will be back.

redzone

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 01, 2016, 10:23:23 PM
I'd like to see Niall McKenna on the bench as he offers us a good aerial presence in the full forward line if we want to mix it up.

What are you basing this McKenna thing on, ure championing it thas while now

Mikhailov

Quote from: redzone on August 01, 2016, 10:26:38 PM

Il Bomber - you sound like the Donaghmore chairman the way you go on about NMK. There is a MASSIVE difference between div2 games and inter county games at the top level - MASSIVE difference....I seen him lately and he looked decent but only in spurts. A county player should be ripping Div2 defences to shreds every week and hitting 1.7 or similar frequently and NMK is not doing it. I don't think he is ruthless enough to make it, if you get a goal chance you must take it and he doesn't !!! By the way, I actually like him and feel he could do a good job at 10 or 12 at county level where score taking is not a priority but I am not MH .

ose 14

50/50 game in my book. mayo i feel will keep it very tight and go for broke last 10. fancy mayo just.

Fear ón Srath Bán

The strength on the respective benches will figure in this one I'd say, and currently we're not too shabbily appointed in that respect -- it could indeed come down to the last 10 minutes, and that's where the bench will tell.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

trileacman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 01, 2016, 09:42:43 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 01, 2016, 09:30:08 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 01, 2016, 07:24:27 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 01, 2016, 07:09:58 PM
As the game draws nearer, I can sense fear among our Northern Brethren. The last couple of posts have been taken up with talking Mayo down, rather than Tyrone up! Listening to Uncle Peter telling you - you are the second best team in the country is one thing. Proving it is a completely different thing. This Mayo side may be on the wane, but they have leaders all over the place. and they have not taken a easy beating in Croker in a long time. 2011 was the last v Kerry. I am looking forward to this game. If we are good enough we will beat Tyrone. If not good enough - then better off on our Arses back home, than delaying the inevitable beating to Kerry/Dublin later.

Definitely not talking Mayo down, you're getting a bit sensitive as the day approaches. 😀 My post was just a thought about whether Mayo have had time to work on breaking down a defence unlike any they have faced in the past. Like Fuzz said, if you run into the wall it will play into Tyrone hands and will turn you over and break at pace. Donegal chose not to engage, Cavan went over the top. How do you envisage Mayo will approach it?

Probably a mix of going over the top and running into it - hopefully in waves popping passes rather than isolated one man shows. We haven't really been great at taking points from distance this year so I can't see us kicking the kind of points Donegal did in that first half.

I hope Barrett starts, he had a massive game against Tyrone in 2013 and he's a tight defender. Not sure who I'd drop, possibly Keane although that would leave us vulnerable to the high ball

Clarke

Barrett Keane Higgins

Vaughan Keegan Boyle

Parsons S O Shea

D O Connor A O Shea K Mcloughlin (sweeper)

E Regan A Moran C O Connor

Should be the Mayo starting 15 this Saturday. A seasoned and experienced outfit that Tyrone will have to be at their very best to beat.

On paper that's a serious team. Whether there still up to old standards remains to be seen. Actually what I meant is that it's a serious team of which I'd be afraid up until you read the FF line. Not that the inside guys are terrible but that supporting cast never get the best out of them. Realistically I can see us closing down those inside lads as we've done before. The wining and losing of this game is to see who's running game is stronger. Your middle 8 with the exception of McLaughlin are seasoned pro's at the running game and as Harte has figured it's how you beat a blanket defence, Moran figured it against Donegal some seasons earlier but got picked apart by the moneybags.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Mayo will win if they clean up their act and the better O'Connor is playing, but their form to date suggests even a 55 minute performance may be beyond them at this stage of the team's lifespan. Tyrone have their own frailties to say the least but at least they have a bit more consistency to their play. The last time these two met the result was never really in doubt.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 01, 2016, 05:03:57 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 01, 2016, 04:52:19 PM
2009 was the last time Tyrone won All Ireland quarter final as Ulster champions, 2009 was the last year Mayo lost All Ireland quarter final.

2013 was a different Tyrone team, never mind 2009! The 2016 vintage is of steelier stuff altogether I tell you ;)

Tyrone were a little unlucky in 2013. It wasn't a vintage Tyrone side but they had Mayo rattled in the first half, panic spread through that Mayo team for a spell. Ultimately Tyrone weren't capable of driving on from that early position - although the loss of Peter Harte and Stephen O'Neill to injury and a very poor refereeing decision to give Mayo a penalty - didn't help either. Tyrone are certainly  a better team now, but even that team exposed a few weaknesses in Mayo.

Someone mentioned Tyrone - Dublin in 2008 earlier and there are definitely similarities. Tyrone have been made favourites here despite having achieved less on the national stage in recent years than Mayo, just like Dublin in 2008. Tyrone also went into that game having played well in spells on their way to the quarters, without having put in a 70 minute performance.  It's set up nicely for Mayo and I wouldn't be surprised if they win. Real test for Tyrone and a different challenge to Donegal. Win this and the talk of an All Ireland will be more realistic.

ZeitChrist

Mayo had a spread of 9 different scorers against Westmeath. That's much better than what we're used to seeing from them when Cillian O'Connor was shouldering most of the scoring responsibilities. Andy Moran has added a new dimension to their attack as a target man and is smart on the ball. A fully fit Diarmuid O'Connor is going to take some stopping and Cillian O'Connor contributed well against Westmeath. For me, Mayo's real problem, as always, is the vulnerabilities in their full back line. Kevin Keane is not mobile enough and fouls far too often, and I think Mickey Harte will seek to catch him out. Kevin McLoughlin is unproven in his new role and I think Tyrone will target him too. Tyrone's counter-attacking game will put the Mayo full back line under massive pressure if given half a chance. I could see Tyrone aiming to strike early with a goal or two and kill the game off.

Blowitupref

Quote from: ZeitChrist on August 02, 2016, 12:19:24 AM
Mayo had a spread of 9 different scorers against Westmeath. That's much better than what we're used to seeing from them when Cillian O'Connor was shouldering most of the scoring responsibilities.
A key feature of this Mayo group of players since 2012 has been a big spread of scorers and some games has had 12 or 13 different Mayo scorers.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ZeitChrist

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 02, 2016, 12:48:35 AM
Quote from: ZeitChrist on August 02, 2016, 12:19:24 AM
Mayo had a spread of 9 different scorers against Westmeath. That's much better than what we're used to seeing from them when Cillian O'Connor was shouldering most of the scoring responsibilities.
A key feature of this Mayo group of players since 2012 has been a big spread of scorers and some games has had 12 or 13 different Mayo scorers.

Cillian O'Connor is statistically the most relied upon forward in the game. He shoulders more of the scoring responsibilities for Mayo than Conor McManus does for Monaghan. Not having any consistent back up for him who can score from play has been an issue. Their biggest issue is their full back line though.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: redzone on August 01, 2016, 10:26:38 PM

He offers us a different threat in the full forward line to what we have.

Quarterback

Looks like Keith Higgins will be deployed in the half forward line going on the weekend - I would expect mayo to match him up on Peter Harte in an attempt to keep Peter out of the game.  Donegal did this to us with Ryan Mc Hugh and it worked a treat for 35 mins.  I'm more nervous about this game the closer it gets.  Mayo are seasoned, we will improve in the wide open spaces off Croker.  I think our superior scoring threat will get us over the line