Muineacháin v Dún na nGall - déja vu all over again 26/6

Started by babarino, June 12, 2016, 04:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

I think the previous pairing rule only became applicable when two provincial finalists were redrawn in QF. The a and b set up now prevents this from occurring.

westbound

Quote from: Niall8100 on June 28, 2016, 06:14:52 PM
Quote from: babarino on June 28, 2016, 03:56:33 PM
Experience tells us that if you're going to go via the back door this is the time to do it...not that either Donegal or Monaghan will want to go that route.

Losing an Ulster final is far more risky given the unfair turnaround. But who'd trade a tie with Longford (no disrespect to them) for an Ulster Final in Clones?

Good point, whoever loses the Ulster final this year will more than likely get no further than the quarter final. They have to win a 4B qualifier on the weekend of the 1st of August and if they win that they can only get Dublin(assuming they beat Westmeath) in the quarter final just 1 week later (4B winners play either Leinster or Ulster champions and provincial final pairings can't be repeated).

To be honest there should be a 2 week break between Round 4 qualifiers and the quarter final to give the qualifiers a better chance to recover. The main problem is probably Ulster taking so long to complete as there's only one game each weekend (except replays). It could be fixed by playing the quarter finals over 2 weekends instead of four and then the Ulster final can be played 2 weeks earlier, giving plenty of time for qualifiers, etc.

disagree with this. if you have a 2 week break between R4 qualifiers and Q-finals (and also to avoid 6 day turnaround for beaten provincial losers) it leaves a 4 week gap with no game for the provincial winners (possibly 5 week gap). This is too long without a game when your q-final opponent would be coming in with matches played. If provincial winners are actually being disadvantaged by winning the provincial title it will definitely be the end of the provincial championships [it's a different argument altogether whether or not to get rid of them, but while they are in place the winners should gain an advantage]

Niall8100

Yeah another good point I suppose, I agree the provincial champions deserve a slight advantage but a balance has to be struck though. I think the short turnaround exacerbates the difference in quality of teams at that stage of the championship, and has lead to less interesting all-Ireland quarter finals the last few years.

For example last year Kildare conceded 7-16 in the quarter final a week after beating Cork, and Donegal were beaten by 8 points by Mayo a week after beating Galway well. It was similar 2 years ago when Dublin beat Monaghan by 17 points a week after Monaghan beat Kildare after extra time (since then Monaghan have run Dublin to a point twice), and Kerry beat Galway by 7 points a week after they beat Tipperary. Would these games have been such blowouts if they had more time to recover and prepare?

But whatever about championship structure, the game on Saturday will hopefully be another cracker.

Dubhaltach

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 29, 2016, 09:14:01 AM
Saturday, July 30, 2016 - Monday, August 01, 2016:
Quarter-Final (A): Connacht Winner v Round 4A Winner
Quarter-Final (A): Munster Winner v Round 4A Winner

Saturday, August 06, 2016:
Quarter-Final (B): Leinster Winner v Round 4B Winner (Sky Sports)
Quarter-Final (B): Ulster Winner v Round 4B Winner (Sky Sports)

So yes, they could in theory be drawn again. I thought there was a 'previous pairings' condition, though that might disappear after the qualifying rounds?

The 'previous pairings' condition starts after round 2 of the qualifiers. It applies to round 3, round 4 and the quarter finals. 

westbound

Quote from: Dubhaltach on June 29, 2016, 06:42:45 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 29, 2016, 09:14:01 AM
Saturday, July 30, 2016 - Monday, August 01, 2016:
Quarter-Final (A): Connacht Winner v Round 4A Winner
Quarter-Final (A): Munster Winner v Round 4A Winner

Saturday, August 06, 2016:
Quarter-Final (B): Leinster Winner v Round 4B Winner (Sky Sports)
Quarter-Final (B): Ulster Winner v Round 4B Winner (Sky Sports)

So yes, they could in theory be drawn again. I thought there was a 'previous pairings' condition, though that might disappear after the qualifying rounds?

The 'previous pairings' condition starts after round 2 of the qualifiers. It applies to round 3, round 4 and the quarter finals.

I think it's slightly different for the quarter finals. I think the rule is something like provincial final pairings cannot be repeated in the q-final and other 'previous pairings' are avoided insofar as possible.

joemamas

This is defiantly not on tv correct.

Will any supporters be bold enough to do a live cam or stream whatever will make those who cannot attend watch game. Hard to fathom what conflict is between the two sets of supporters. My guess is that only die hard hurling fans will be tuning into to hurling on Saturday.

Beffs

Quote from: joemamas on June 30, 2016, 01:59:42 PM

Will any supporters be bold enough to do a live cam or stream whatever will make those who cannot attend watch game. Hard to fathom what conflict is between the two sets of supporters. My guess is that only die hard hurling fans will be tuning into to hurling on Saturday.

Didn't someone Periscope the Roscommon v New York game? Some of the Mayo & Leitrim players were watching it. Hard to see how the GAA could crack down on it, or stop it. Good luck wending your way through a packed terrace or stand, during a game, looking for the one lad with the iPhone propped on his knee.

joemamas

Quote from: Beffs on June 30, 2016, 04:16:37 PM

Didn't someone Periscope the Roscommon v New York game? Some of the Mayo & Leitrim players were watching it. Hard to see how the GAA could crack down on it, or stop it. Good luck wending your way through a packed terrace or stand, during a game, looking for the one lad with the iPhone propped on his knee.

would love to somehow watch it live or delayed, V the three minutes you will be luck to get on the Sunday Game the next evening.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: joemamas on June 30, 2016, 05:03:03 PM

would love to somehow watch it live or delayed, V the three minutes you will be luck to get on the Sunday Game the next evening.

The Ulster U21 final was periscoped too.. It was well done, steady, given the low light conditions. I'm assuming it was a mini tripod job and not just on the knee..

Do Sky do a catchup service? I only have SkyGo,thanks to the father-in-law..

babarino

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 30, 2016, 08:16:31 PM

The Ulster U21 final was periscoped too.. It was well done, steady, given the low light conditions. I'm assuming it was a mini tripod job and not just on the knee..

Just to be sure how this might work...4 of us go to the game and broadcast via Periscope. If we are using the same Twitter account, would this allow followers choose from different positions in Breiffne?

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: babarino on June 30, 2016, 09:19:21 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 30, 2016, 08:16:31 PM

Just to be sure how this might work...4 of us go to the game and broadcast via Periscope. If we are using the same Twitter account, would this allow followers choose from different positions in Breiffne?

I'd say Sky are shittin themselves..
Would you like to finance my roaming bill for the project? ;)

Beffs

Quote from: babarino on June 30, 2016, 09:19:21 PM

Four different cameras, with four different angles in Breffini? By Jayzus ! Will ye have a red button and instant replays as well?  :P

I'd stick with just the one if I were you. Park yourself (and yer iPhone/iPad) in one of the corners of the ground and bobs yer uncle....

Main Street

I want the 4 cameras, 3 on the game and 1 following all the shenanigans of the Donegal water boys.

Fck Sky for not covering this game despite having the rights and this a high profile game, one of the great rivalries of recent years.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Main Street on July 01, 2016, 11:24:53 AM
I want the 4 cameras, 3 on the game of all the shenanigans of the Donegal water boys and 1 following the Donegal water boys game.

Fck Sky for not covering this game despite having the rights and this a high profile game, one of the great rivalries of recent years.

I fixed your comment above re the cameras Main, based on need.

To me, the GAA overlords need to take responsibility as they were the ones who signed up to the Sky/GAA agreement in the first place.. I haven't heard much good said about the Sky/GAA project to be honest..

The fact that it's not televised will no doubt drive up ticket revenue, so the GAA are quids in anyhow. The cynical bloke in me says that might be intentional..  :o