U21 hurling 2016

Started by ashman, May 25, 2016, 09:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on August 20, 2016, 08:02:34 PM
Not bad for our first day out!!!  Don't know how we won that, Dub very wasteful in normal time and we lost most of the physical battles, at least until Brannigan came on and made a bit of a difference.  Molloys free taking into the wind was superb and he really stood up as a leader there in ET. 

System needs to change though.  Rockin up for an AISF for your first game is pure stupidity, need to bring the underage teams into Leinster or just go to an open draw championship of 2 groups or something.
If ye want games, go into Munster

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 20, 2016, 08:37:24 PM
Not bad for our first day out!!!  Don't know how we won that, Dub very wasteful in normal time and we lost most of the physical battles, at least until Brannigan came on and made a bit of a difference.  Molloys free taking into the wind was superb and he really stood up as a leader there in ET. 

System needs to change though.  Rockin up for an AISF for your first game is pure stupidity, need to bring the underage teams into Leinster or just go to an open draw championship of 2 groups or something.
Okay!  So your solution is for our seniors to play in Leinster and the rest to play in Munster?!!  Brilliant!

Roashter

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on August 20, 2016, 08:57:20 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 20, 2016, 08:37:24 PM

Okay!  So your solution is for our seniors to play in Leinster and the rest to play in Munster?!!  Brilliant!

May not be a bad idea, Leinster have said to no to your under age so why not ask Munster. At least it will force the Munster counties to give their opinion on the idea. If they also say no then there will be question marks over their commitment on allowing hurling to prosper outside their own borders.

On a seperate topic, if people want the GAA to go down the route of open draw or champions league formats, then the hurling u-21 is probably the most logical place to start this.

AZOffaly

Galway should be in Leinster at underage level. It's a no brainer. I'm not sure of the politics, but I seem to remember that initially it was Galway who wanted to stay outside at underage level.

It would be mental having them in Munster. The Leinster council should be told that if they want to keep Galway at Senior level, they have to bring in the underage too. And give Galway some f**king home fixtures as well.

imtommygunn

Antrim should be in leinster too. If you had them in leinster at minor i think that would be a big help.

AZOffaly

Yes. True. Any county that has been taken into the Leinster Championship, should be in the Leinster underage championships as well. Kerry also.

Canalman

Yep, remember hearing years ago that Galway weren't keen to go into underage in Leinster. Counties in Leinster now not so keen to have them now seeing that most years it would mean one less Leinster county in the AI series.

johnneycool

Quote from: Canalman on August 23, 2016, 10:31:47 AM
Yep, remember hearing years ago that Galway weren't keen to go into underage in Leinster. Counties in Leinster now not so keen to have them now seeing that most years it would mean one less Leinster county in the AI series.

Graded open draw all the way, with the B championship type teams playing off for the right to play in an AI series rather than this lopsided Leinster/Munster mishmash that is foisted upon us by the hurling elite at senior level.

ashman

A graded open draw would be great .  I think at this point players who played 2 senior championship games in the previous year would not be eligible either .  This is an age where players are at greatest risk of burnout.

mouview

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 23, 2016, 09:58:23 AM
Galway should be in Leinster at underage level. It's a no brainer. I'm not sure of the politics, but I seem to remember that initially it was Galway who wanted to stay outside at underage level.

It would be mental having them in Munster. The Leinster council should be told that if they want to keep Galway at Senior level, they have to bring in the underage too. And give Galway some f**king home fixtures as well.

Actually think home fixtures for Galway is a little bit of a red herring. Any time they've played Leinster opponents outside of CP, it's nearly always been in Tullamore or Portlaoise. (Once v Wexford in Nowlan park? A couple of times in Mullingar v W'Meath?) Whatever about Portlaoise, I think Tullamore is just as accessible a ground for the majority of Galway hurling supporters as Pearse stadium is. If Galway manage to implement a home-and-away arrangement, they will most likely end up playing in more distant grounds such as Parnell park, Nowlan park, Wexford park, while the corollary is facing the slog of going through the city to Salthill.

If it's a case of not currently benefiting from gate receipts, then by all means press strongly for home fixtures.

Roashter

I'd love to see Galway get home/away matches.

Say they are playing Kilkenny in Leinster semi-final -you'd have a great atmosphere in Pearse park (or Nowlan park)

ashman

GaillimhIarthair

Well done to Waterford, as good a team as I have seen at this level for quite a while.  Our lads tried but just weren't good enough.

From the Bunker

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 23, 2016, 09:58:23 AM

Yes, Yes and Yes! The Fecking Gaa must be one of the most oppressive organisations. Why da f$£% do Galway (and Antrim) underage not get to play in Leinster? And get home matches? Do they not want to give some minute level of development to Ulster and Connacht? When is the last time a Hurling Championship game of any level was in Galway?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on September 10, 2016, 07:08:13 PM
Well done to Waterford, as good a team as I have seen at this level for quite a while.  Our lads tried but just weren't good enough.

Waterford have pretty much hammered everyone at this level this year. Galway could have set up the team to not concede so many chances but it wouldn't have changed the result in any way. Waterford were so much bigger and physically conditioned than our lads. So were Dublin in the semi-final but Waterford had the hurling to go along with the physical advantages.