2016 Summer Olympics Rio

Started by DrinkingHarp, May 24, 2016, 06:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Barr just said he's been tested 11 or 12 times this year. That's good to see/hear.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 18, 2016, 05:06:30 PM
Barr just said he's been tested 11 or 12 times this year. That's good to see/hear.

How does be improve he's season's best by a second in three days? Or his personal best by almost a second in a couple of months?

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on August 18, 2016, 04:58:16 PM
That makes for pathetic reading.
Michael O'Reilly is remarkable for having failed a test to such a regime.

A patchy regime will operate well in some cases and not in others, he was just "unlucky".

Quote from: gallsman on August 18, 2016, 05:13:34 PM
How does be improve he's season's best by a second in three days? Or his personal best by almost a second in a couple of months?

He runs at the same speed as the rest of the people in the race.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Muck Savage

Great run by Barr and it should be celebrated. Promoting and supporting him in the country will generate the next generation of runners in the country. The sporting culture in the country puts 3-4 other sports ahead of Athletics but when it comes to Major championships there is always questions about why we are so weak in each area.

On the race, living in the US the focus is always on US runners but it looked like he struggled over a few of the jumps on the bend and that put his timing off for the straight, last jump looked like he shortened his stride to get over it. Those little errors will have cost him a medal but getting under 48sec is an unreal time.

muppet

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 18, 2016, 05:01:39 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 18, 2016, 04:58:16 PM
That makes for pathetic reading.

Michael O'Reilly is remarkable for having failed a test to such a regime.

He was tested in Ireland. We test our athletes on average 14 times a year. The UK only 3 times, Kenya, Ethiopia zero.

I see. I am glad to see that.

That paints the Lizzie Armistead case (missing 3 tests in 13 months) in a different light also. Not to mention some of the Kenyan and Ethiopian medals.
MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

Love to read the data for that Dinny

ashman

Some performance by team GB. . Second in the medals table .

Ulick

Just listened to the Barr interview on Newstalk. Very unconvincing even under soft questioning. He had no explanation for running the PB coming off injuries.

bennydorano

Sport is fucked. The doping 'debate' is as poisonous as doping itself.

An observation.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ashman on August 18, 2016, 07:56:03 PM

Last team to break up the big countries was East Germany in the 80s. Cough.

6th sam

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 18, 2016, 10:27:42 PM

I think this olympics has been a disaster , mainly due to the controversies, but also now that every PB is questioned . I think the theory of marginal gains to attain success could account for improvement . These gains could be in a number of areas in terms of preparation , recovery etc. Modern legal scientific methods, and availability of the resources needed for success, can provide those marginal gains. Why must we presume that it's something illegal that is providing those marginal gains . I am not suggesting all olympians are completely clean but equally I don't accept that the majority of competitors are corrupt and also prepared to risk the shame of being branded a drug cheat.

trileacman

Quote from: 6th sam on August 18, 2016, 10:55:50 PM

I think this olympics has been a disaster , mainly due to the controversies, but also now that every PB is questioned . I think the theory of marginal gains to attain success could account for improvement . These gains could be in a number of areas in terms of preparation , recovery etc. Modern legal scientific methods, and availability of the resources needed for success, can provide those marginal gains. Why must we presume that it's something illegal that is providing those marginal gains . I am not suggesting all olympians are completely clean but equally I don't accept that the majority of competitors are corrupt and also prepared to risk the shame of being branded a drug cheat.

Choose what you wish to believe as is your right but don't just dictate that the rest of the world should give an athlete the benefit of the doubt.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

moysider

Quote from: Ulick on August 18, 2016, 08:24:14 PM
Just listened to the Barr interview on Newstalk. Very unconvincing even under soft questioning. He had no explanation for running the PB coming off injuries.

How is anybody supposed to improve. If somebody cant improve in their mid 20's when will they?

The injury lay-off probably was a help. He had training in the bank and would have come in a bit under cooked but fresh. That would explain his improvement from race to race this week. The adrenaline kick in final would be a factor too.
It wouldn t surprise me if he ran quicker again if he has a race shortly. He probably didn t even peak this week.

6th sam

Quote from: trileacman on August 18, 2016, 10:59:05 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on August 18, 2016, 10:55:50 PM

Choose what you wish to believe as is your right but don't just dictate that the rest of the world should give an athlete the benefit of the doubt.
I'm not dictating to anyone!lol

However , my opinion is , that anti-Doping should be resourced heavily to ensure detection and deterrent, but would also feel that like most justice systems , there should be a presumption of innocence until proved guilty. I would enforce strong criteria around missed tests etc.
In short , let's improve detection and deterrent as opposed to the current presumption of guilt on the basis of innuendo or any improvement in PB.

5 Sams

Just catching up here lads...why were the yank women's 4X100m team running on their own there about 20 mins ago??
The Aristocrat Years