Dublin v Donegal, Croke Park 26/3/2016 7pm

Started by Beffs, March 15, 2016, 11:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Gouging and biting incident follow Dublin players around like a bad smell.

Fuzzman

I can understand fans, players and managers being defensive if their own player when there is a controversial incident like this but that YouTube video is pretty clear for all to see.
It's obvious the Donegal player won't release his hold on McCarthy so he puts his hand on his face. Then moves it over his eyes but when that doesn't work he clearly moves his thumb towards his eye and pushes in a bit.
It's very clear to see and you can see why he did it as the Donegal player wouldn't let him go.
I'll be very surprised if the CCCC don't punish him as the ref probably didn't see the extent of the actions.

His past record has nothing to do with it.

skeog

fuzzman if ryan mc menamin was the accused he would already be in kilmainham jail sentenced, dubs are a very arrogant lot including mr nice guy gavin

INDIANA

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 28, 2016, 10:59:44 AM
I can understand fans, players and managers being defensive if their own player when there is a controversial incident like this but that YouTube video is pretty clear for all to see.
It's obvious the Donegal player won't release his hold on McCarthy so he puts his hand on his face. Then moves it over his eyes but when that doesn't work he clearly moves his thumb towards his eye and pushes in a bit.
It's very clear to see and you can see why he did it as the Donegal player wouldn't let him go.
I'll be very surprised if the CCCC don't punish him as the ref probably didn't see the extent of the actions.

Coming from the county that gave us Ricey and Gormley it's quite funny reading your bullshit.

This is being used as a propaganda tool to forget yet another lamentable Donegal performance.

The team is in terminal decline and the attention is being deflected away from that to talk about a non event.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: INDIANA on March 28, 2016, 08:10:48 PM

Coming from the county that gave us Ricey and Gormley it's quite funny reading your bullshit.

This is being used as a propaganda tool to forget yet another lamentable Donegal performance.

The team is in terminal decline and the attention is being deflected away from that to talk about a non event.

Indiana, your hatred & bile towards Donegal is getting quite tiresome at this stage. You are our very own Donald Trump, boorish, classless & more than slightly unhinged.

This team is far from being in terminal decline & if the management get their act together they will cause the likes of you to have sleepless nights before this year is out.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

INDIANA

Quote from: BluestackBoy on March 28, 2016, 08:34:28 PM

Indiana, your hatred & bile towards Donegal is getting quite tiresome at this stage. You are our very own Donald Trump, boorish, classless & more than slightly unhinged.

This team is far from being in terminal decline & if the management get their act together they will cause the likes of you to have sleepless nights before this year is out.

Your team is bet and it's failing miserably trying to play a tired clapped out system with players whose prime athletic years are behind them.

Harsh but very very true.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: INDIANA on March 28, 2016, 08:39:43 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on March 28, 2016, 08:34:28 PM

Your team is bet and it's failing miserably trying to play a tired clapped out system with players whose prime athletic years are behind them.

Harsh but very very true.

If that helps you sleep at night..........
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Main Street

You have to look at the positives Bluestack, allowing  Indiana to blow off all that pent up bombastic hot air...

Fuzzman

Indiana, did you watch the incident again?
Do you think McCarthy switched his thumb around so he could cause more pain to the Donegal player?

I'd be interested to hear you're explanation of what you saw but I doubt you will answer such a direct question as you have already more or less said we are not allowed to have an opinion on it as our fellow county men are also guilty of similar acts.

muppet

Quote from: skeog on March 28, 2016, 01:44:41 PM
fuzzman if ryan mc menamin was the accused he would already be in kilmainham jail sentenced, dubs are a very arrogant lot including mr nice guy gavin

If McMenamin was ever in Kilmainham Gaol 'sentenced' that would make him at least 110 years old. In fairness he was handy enough for a fella in his 90s.
MWWSI 2017

Fuzzman

Just as a matter of interest, how many of ye on here think that had this of been say Philly McMahon or Armagh's Ciaran McKeever etc that there might be a different outcome from the CCCC?

I just read an article in the Irish Times which seems quite biased in it's analysis as it seems Seán Moran thinks that slow motion distorts the truth and it only appears that his thumb is pushed into his eye socket.
Intent seems to be where Dublin are basing their argument on here but it seems to me that whilst it was not pre-mediated to gouge McElhinney, it is clear to see McCarthy changing from an open hand across the face to him using his thumb and clearly moving his thumb into the eye area and McElhinney closing his eye & turning away.

What county is Seán Moran from by the way?

Dublin's James McCarthy unlikely to face wrath of CCCC
Move by disciplinary body would mean player is being charged with intent to gouge
t will be a surprise if Dublin's James McCarthy ends up being suspended for the incident with Martin McElhinney after which he was sent off during Saturday's AFL Division One match against Donegal.
There has been a lot of comment on the Dublin player's use of the hand to push his opponent away and how in slow motion his thumb makes contact with McElhinney's eye area and speculation that he may be charged with eye gouging.
Defenders of McCarthy maintain that slow motion distorts what happened and is an unfair way of levelling a charge. In this case they may have a point.
Obviously, in general terms the use of slow motion can be a valuable aid to identifying what took place when used in conjunction with ordinary footage but the slowing down of incidents can also give a spurious appearance of intent.
Viewed in real time, the scuffle between the players takes place and McCarthy's pushing of his hand in the face occurs in one movement. No observer can say definitively whether he intended to do damage but it's not clear from the footage.

StephenC

Well done to Dublin on their win. I think they are showing themselves to be well prepared for anything that is thrown at them this summer.

We need Papa back and big Neil and Frank were badly missed as well. Looking forward to a classic against Monaghan  ;)

Jinxy

For what it's worth, I think we're a bit hyper-sensitive about the whole gouging thing.
On the rare occasion it does happen the perpetrator is usually someone who has form for nastiness.
McCarthy doesn't have that type of rep so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Looked to me like he was grabbing the Donegal lad around the face/chin and pushing his head back.
Don't think he was trying to make contact with his eye.
Super slow motion replays can make an act look much more deliberate and considered than it was in real time.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on March 29, 2016, 12:37:25 PM
For what it's worth, I think we're a bit hyper-sensitive about the whole gouging thing.
On the rare occasion it does happen the perpetrator is usually someone who has form for nastiness.
McCarthy doesn't have that type of rep so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Looked to me like he was grabbing the Donegal lad around the face/chin and pushing his head back.
Super slow motion replays can make an act look much more deliberate and considered than it was in real time.

I agree with this.
MWWSI 2017

Declan

QuoteFor what it's worth, I think we're a bit hyper-sensitive about the whole gouging thing.

I agree with this.

Time to close this thread now we have agreement from our Meath and Mayo reps ;) ;)