The Nerves Part 2

Started by DoYerJob Linesman, December 27, 2015, 10:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoYerJob Linesman

I was enjoying that. Fire away there lads.
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

Captain Obvious

Should start off with this view on nerves
QuoteI think unless you've played in front of 70,000 - you can't possibly know what it's like.
Which in my opinion is a load of bollix.

general_lee

Hey Indiana would ye like some cream for that

BURN

brokencrossbar1

Nerves are a completely natural thing and should be embraced. While I may not have played in front of as many as some people I have played on big occasions in front of big crowds. I always enjoyed the nerves as it showed I was focused on the game and ready. The funny thing is the bigger the game the less nervous I got. I feared the early county championship match against the local team more than the AI final or an Ulster final. There was always more to lose in terms of pride etc in the county championship so I always felt there was more pressure in those games then the 'big' games. When I did get nervous I just remembered my routine. I had a pretty basic routine, but when I was feeling anxious it helped me focus and then the nerves became natural.

I also loved the buzz of the nerves running out in big games. When the manager or captain is saying the last few things and the adrenaline is pumping, as you rush onto the field to a roar the nerves dissipate. You get your hands on a ball and hold it first touch did you know that your ready. You look to the crowd and see the familiar face roaring you on and you feel the pride of representing them. We always tried to get the outside in a parade as you're close to the crowd and can build on the energy from them. Also staying in the parade helped settle nerves and we used to relish if a team broke early. They were too hyped, too anxious and by staying in the parade we felt it showed a level of nonchalance, like we've been here before, we know what we're at. It also meant that we kept the routine going as a group and routine is a great way to level nerves. When I went to my position I maintained my routine (not boxing the FB in the mouth in case anyone suggests that!). I always said the same thing to my man and went in to the goalie to shake his hand. Little things that stay the same mean the nerves are not a factor. I could nearly always tell if the man marking me was nervous by his demeanour and if he was then I'd test his mettle out with an early hit. If he was edgy at all then I knew he was mine.

Nerves should be embraced and you find your own routine that suits. Once you're comfortable then keep to it.

Jinxy

I could never relax until I'd kicked 3 points from play.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Minder

Quote from: Hardy on December 28, 2015, 12:18:51 AM
Great post BC. Insight.

I am looking forward to Indianas, playing in front of 300,000 people
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Great post BC. Insight.
+1. Other ways of settling his nerves to be found on the dark arts threads  ;)

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 28, 2015, 12:22:34 AM
Great post BC. Insight.
+1. Other ways of settling his nerves to be found on the dark arts threads  ;)

Oi that's not true, I unsettled their nerves that way! :P

AZOffaly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 27, 2015, 10:42:45 PM
Nerves are a completely natural thing and should be embraced. While I may not have played in front of as many as some people I have played on big occasions in front of big crowds. I always enjoyed the nerves as it showed I was focused on the game and ready. The funny thing is the bigger the game the less nervous I got. I feared the early county championship match against the local team more than the AI final or an Ulster final. There was always more to lose in terms of pride etc in the county championship so I always felt there was more pressure in those games then the 'big' games. When I did get nervous I just remembered my routine. I had a pretty basic routine, but when I was feeling anxious it helped me focus and then the nerves became natural.

I also loved the buzz of the nerves running out in big games. When the manager or captain is saying the last few things and the adrenaline is pumping, as you rush onto the field to a roar the nerves dissipate. You get your hands on a ball and hold it first touch did you know that your ready. You look to the crowd and see the familiar face roaring you on and you feel the pride of representing them. We always tried to get the outside in a parade as you're close to the crowd and can build on the energy from them. Also staying in the parade helped settle nerves and we used to relish if a team broke early. They were too hyped, too anxious and by staying in the parade we felt it showed a level of nonchalance, like we've been here before, we know what we're at. It also meant that we kept the routine going as a group and routine is a great way to level nerves. When I went to my position I maintained my routine (not boxing the FB in the mouth in case anyone suggests that!). I always said the same thing to my man and went in to the goalie to shake his hand. Little things that stay the same mean the nerves are not a factor. I could nearly always tell if the man marking me was nervous by his demeanour and if he was then I'd test his mettle out with an early hit. If he was edgy at all then I knew he was mine.

Nerves should be embraced and you find your own routine that suits. Once you're comfortable then keep to it.

Spot on. I always got nervous, or at least I never played well unless I was nervous. Before the game though. The nerves vanish when you contest the first ball, or make the first run.

I took frees as well, which was another kind of nervous if you like, but I knew my distance limit, and trusted my accuracy, so I was confident enough to take them, and as long as the first strike was good, almost regardless of whether it went over or not, I was happy enough. Penalties were also a bit nerve jangling, but again it's a case of trusting your technique, making up your mind and making sure you strike the ball well.

In short, nerves are part and parcel of the game, if you're not nervous, you're not tuned in. Or at least that was the case for me.

INDIANA

Quote from: Minder on December 28, 2015, 12:20:49 AM
Great post BC. Insight.

Unless you've played in front of 70,000 you couldn't possibly know what it's like. Since most people here have only played at club level it should be confined to those parameters . That's basic logic in my view . Unfortunately that's lacking in a lot of posters here .

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on December 28, 2015, 04:13:14 PM
Great post BC. Insight.

Unless you've played in front of 70,000 you couldn't possibly know what it's like. Since most people here have only played at club level it should be confined to those parameters . That's basic logic in my view . Unfortunately that's lacking in a lot of posters here .

Indiana. I think a modesty course would do you the world of good.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 27, 2015, 10:42:45 PM
the bigger the game the less nervous I got. I feared the early county championship match against the local team more than the AI final or an Ulster final. There was always more to lose in terms of pride etc in the county championship so I always felt there was more pressure in those games then the 'big' games.
The majority of past of present players would also have this view. The logic that you can't know nerves unless playing in front of 70,000 is a flawed one.

INDIANA

Quote from: seafoid on December 28, 2015, 04:52:59 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 28, 2015, 04:13:14 PM
Great post BC. Insight.

Indiana. I think a modesty course would do you the world of good.

I don't see anything arrogant about my last post. In fairness it's logical.

I don't what it's like to be Usain Bolt 10 minutes before a 100m final where the entire world is looking at him. So I don't waste my time speculating about it.

Unfortunately being the only Dublin poster here requires arrogance when compared with the ridiculous posting of inaccuracies, baseless lies and downright offensive material that is tolerated.

In general it's a website to be avoided. Pity it used to be a good one.

brokencrossbar1

What's it like then Indiana?