Author Topic: Brexit.  (Read 870474 times)

johnnycool

• View Profile
Re: Brexit.
« Reply #9855 on: May 18, 2021, 09:43:16 AM »
I'm sure Hartlepool has had an MP in some shape or form for a lifetime but this constituency is only on the go since the 1970s.

They would have lost seat in the last election only the Brexit party refused to stand aside as they thought they'd a real chance, they did but split the vote and Labour got returned. The result is not unexpected no matter what the Tory press say, but it is a sad indictment of  the state (& perhaps decline) of the Labour Party and the continued rise of English Nationalism under the Tories. 

The continual bickering with the EU is a Tory tactic too, it keeps that Brexity conflict flame flickering.

Labour are effectively a centre right party now with a millionaire Sir as the leader.

Not much appeal there for working class voters, they are now just effectively Diet Tories under the leadership of Starmer.

Starmer's background is as working class as they come - father being a toolmaker. Worked hard and made a success of himself, an example to anyone from his upbringing. No comparison between he and the gilded, entitled, public-school attending Tory elite. Whatever his shortcomings are as a party leader, he comes across as a decent, conscientious politician, unlike the incompetent and mendacious charlatans now populating the Tories since BJ shunted the calm and level-headed Remainers from the party.

I too think he's decent and conscientious but he does seem a bit airy fairy on some topics and whilst he cuts Boris a new arsehole every PM's Questions he doesn't instill a fighting spirit within the party and evidently appeal to the working class masses.

The Pro Boris media treat him like the grey man that used to be the moniker of John Major.
Starmer was bought  by the Israeli lobby. The last thing Israel wants is a left wing Government.
Starmer was also bought by the plutocrats. The last thing they want is a left wing Government.

But it is inevitable.

Inevitable?
A left wing government in Britain looks a million miles away right now.
Apart from Blair's New Labour, the party has been in the wilderness for most of the past 50 years.

Too many working class British people lap up the Tory propaganda from The Sun and other places.
The working class is split everywhere by means of culture war and polarisation.
Neoliberalism is dying . When it croaks things will get very interesting. The working class will be reunited via cultural organisations . In the past the job was done by the Boy Scouts and the GAA in Ireland . The rich will be taxed to their oxters. The left will run the transition.

Thatchers greatest trick was to convince working class people that they weren't working class.

They were allowed to buy their council houses which then tied them into the mortgage and money markets, she then stopped building council houses and allowed private development to come in and build "developments" which again tied people into the money markets all centred on London.

Those people's wages have stagnated in real terms over the last few decades but they don't see themselves as working class yet they like a lot of us are only one or two wage packets away from defaulting on a mortgage..

Farrandeelin

• Hey buckaroo! How are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9856 on: May 19, 2021, 09:02:58 AM »
BBC News - Brexit negotiator says NI Protocol talks 'not hugely productive'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57147783

Been reading Tony Connolly's tweets all day, the vibe is - is this guy for real?

When he was appointed I said Frost will burn bridges everywhere and then resign, leaving someone else to clear up his mess. Still expect it.  Frost is fanning the flames of the situation he says they're trying to avoid.

Yea, I saw on the news last night that they might use force majeur to scrap it - something due to unforseen circumstances. I can't believe they didn't think of the consequences of NI seeing as they were on about 'our bowdahs' etc during the Withdrawal Agreement deal.
The woman in red has the car parked on the slope.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #9857 on: May 19, 2021, 10:07:56 AM »
BBC News - Brexit negotiator says NI Protocol talks 'not hugely productive'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57147783

Been reading Tony Connolly's tweets all day, the vibe is - is this guy for real?

When he was appointed I said Frost will burn bridges everywhere and then resign, leaving someone else to clear up his mess. Still expect it.  Frost is fanning the flames of the situation he says they're trying to avoid.

Yea, I saw on the news last night that they might use force majeur to scrap it - something due to unforseen circumstances. I can't believe they didn't think of the consequences of NI seeing as they were on about 'our bowdahs' etc during the Withdrawal Agreement deal.

Not being a legal expert is force majeur not some unforeseen event or "act of god".

The actual British negotiator is now saying the thing he and the UK parliament overwhelmingly agreed to and pushed it through has unintended consequences which everyone with a titter of wit has been talking about for years.

The elite educational institutions in England of Eton, Oxford and Cambridge really need to review their entrance criteria as some of their alumni aren't a good advertisement for them.

Dougal Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #9858 on: May 22, 2021, 08:21:23 AM »
It has a slightly wider interpretation than simply ‘act if God’ and can apply in other circumstances depending of course on how flexible the parties want to be. I see Edwin Poots and UFU are up in arms about proposed YK/Australia beef feel which will involve zero tariffs and quotas. While protocol will protect NI from being flooded with it the GB market for NI beef will go as they won’t be able to compete on price. This is only the start of it.
Careful now

bennydorano

• View Profile
« Reply #9859 on: June 23, 2021, 04:56:41 PM »
Jesus, the One Nation One Britain shitfest. Worth investigating on twitter

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/23/uk-education-secretary-mocked-for-one-britain-one-nation-day-song

The whiff of fascism is increasing with this lot

general_lee

• View Profile
« Reply #9860 on: June 30, 2021, 12:31:33 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57666255

Another nail in the Unions coffin. Off they go to the Supreme Court  :D

Rois

• View Profile
« Reply #9861 on: June 30, 2021, 12:43:02 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57666255

Another nail in the Unions coffin. Off they go to the Supreme Court  :D
I love that it was Justice Colton who delivered the ruling  ;D

seafoid

• View Profile
Lookit

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #9863 on: July 20, 2021, 06:45:44 PM »
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

• View Profile
« Reply #9864 on: July 21, 2021, 08:57:09 AM »
Brexit: UK to outline how it wants to overhaul Northern Ireland Protocol

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57911148

Cant be great news I'd imagine, more conflict, antagonism and uncertainty.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #9865 on: July 21, 2021, 09:07:05 AM »
they're using loyalists to stir it up too.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9866 on: July 21, 2021, 11:43:34 AM »
I can get the fact that there needs to be controls of 'goods' entering NI from Britain but I was looking at it from the likes of foods not materials like wood, steel and things like that.

The reason why I'm asking is that more and more companies are not delivering to the north and I'm taking, lets say, garden furniture, what's the difficulty in the paperwork or is it a handy excuse to not bother shipping here?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Jeepers Creepers

• View Profile
« Reply #9867 on: July 21, 2021, 12:13:46 PM »
I can get the fact that there needs to be controls of 'goods' entering NI from Britain but I was looking at it from the likes of foods not materials like wood, steel and things like that.

The reason why I'm asking is that more and more companies are not delivering to the north and I'm taking, lets say, garden furniture, what's the difficulty in the paperwork or is it a handy excuse to not bother shipping here?

Alot of garden furniture bound for Europe was on that boat stuck in the suez canal

lfdown2

• View Profile
« Reply #9868 on: July 21, 2021, 12:14:45 PM »

My take is that while it may not be that hard to get up to speed with the paperwork we are such a small market most just can't be ars*d.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #9869 on: July 21, 2021, 12:21:29 PM »

My take is that while it may not be that hard to get up to speed with the paperwork we are such a small market most just can't be ars*d.

This and the pricks in GB haven't fully resourced their end of the bargain. Probably didn't expect the EU to make them honour their side of the agreement, charlatans.