Connacht Club Championships Senior, Intermediate & Junior

Started by revsperminute, September 25, 2015, 05:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: giveballaghback on November 22, 2015, 09:52:23 PM
Moysider, should the Mayo players have applied your wise advice before getting rid of their management team? is that not the reason that this whole discussion is taking place? Will the Mayo panel take responsibility next season when things dont go to plan?
Everything that has been said here defending Rochford today contradicts what happened to Connelly and Holmes.
As I said sleep well lads.

No it doesn t.

Holmes didn t exactly cover himself in glory in Mitchels v Vincents a couple of years ago and ended up as Mayo manager again. Of course it wasn t all his fault v Vincents or anything. It s never that simple. All managers have rough days on the sideline. I remember McStay having to suffer an absolute walloping by Sligo in Mark. Park many years ago as a manager. Did that make him useless.

We don t know if Rochford will be the answer to finally getting there. H&Cs admirers seem to be from mostly outside the county. Fair enough but I think people in the county are better informed. As I said we don t know if Rochford is the answer if he gets the gig but most of us knew H&C were not the answer and got the gig for the wrong reasons.

If I do lose any sleep it won t be about football anyway.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on November 22, 2015, 08:47:11 PM
Corofin players looked contrary and got got more annoyed when they realised the game was going away from them. Rochfords fault? Maybe the players just didn t have the belly for it today after the effort of the last few years?
That's sport. Things always change.

Corofin looked unrecognizable from the side that won the All Ireland eight months ago, a leg weary side who didn't have the fight or desire in them to win that Connacht final today. They aren't the first defending champions to be hung over and certainly won't be the last.

From the Bunker

And then there were only the Mayo Clubs!  ;D

Roscommon SFC Final
Padraig Pearses  v Clan Na nGael

Roscommon IFC Final
Fuerty v Michael Glaveys

Roscommon JFC Semi Final
St. Bridge ts Bv Shannon Gaels

Galway SFC Semi Final
Corofin v Mountbellew/Moylough

Galway IFC Final
Moycullen v Athenry

Galway JFC Final
Clifden v St Gabriels

Leitrim SFC Final
Glencar-Manorhamilton v Mohill

Leitrim IFC Champions
Melvin Gaels

Leitrim JFC Semi Final
Ballinamore B v Melvin Gaels B
Winner to play Mohill B

Connacht Championship representative Aughavas

Sligo SFC Quarter Finals
Tourlestrane v Coolera
Mary's v Mullinabreena
Curry v Eastern Harps
Tubbercurry v Calry

Sligo IFC Final
Castleconnor v Easkey

Sligo JFC Champions
Owenmore Gaels

Mayo SFC Semi Finals
Breaffy v Ballintubber
Castlebar v Kiltane or Knockmore

Mayo IFC Semi Final
Bohola v The Neale
Belmullet v Hollymount

Mayo JFC Final
Killala v Ardnaree

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 22, 2015, 10:18:30 PM
Corofin players looked contrary and got got more annoyed when they realised the game was going away from them. Rochfords fault? Maybe the players just didn t have the belly for it today after the effort of the last few years?

Corofin looked unrecognizable from the side that won the All Ireland eight months ago, a leg weary side who didn't have the fight or desire in them to win that Connacht final today. They aren't the first defending champions to be hung over and certainly won't be the last.

To be honest I didn't think they were going nearly as well this year as they were last year. Last year they were just flying over the top of the ground. This year they were blessed to scrape a draw against Tuam in the quarter-finals in Galway and even though they won the county final fairly comfortably they weren't overly impressive doing so. Mountbellew conceded a couple of horror goals. I'm sure they will be back next year anyway. Bar one or two lads they are still a relatively young side.

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 22, 2015, 10:18:30 PM

Exactly.

Castlebar was given little chance before the game and I couldn t understand that.

If Castlebar brought their best form and their county players did their stuff, Corofin would have to be at their very best to win. While I thought Castlebar might have some of the better footballers I feared Corofin would have the advantage in tactical organisation and general nous.

Castlebar were generally very good today except for some panicky tackling. As it turned out Corofin as a whole seemed a bit stale and there wasn t enough individuals playing well enough to lift the performance. Several Castlebar players would have been 8/9 in rating - Reilly, Cuniffe, Durcan, Moran, Douglas, FeeneyX2. Not many of Corofin's players were in that kind of form. Tired team probably. No shame in that for players or management.

macdanger2

Congrats to Mitchells, should give the AI a good rattle now

Hope Rochford is appointed fairly quickly so he can get on with the Mayo job

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 22, 2015, 10:50:49 PM
Congrats to Mitchells, should give the AI a good rattle now

Hope Rochford is appointed fairly quickly so he can get on with the Mayo job

+1. On both counts.

revsperminute

Well that's it for another year, the Connacht cups have new homes for another year. Well done to the clubs and best of luck in the All Ireland series to Castlebar, Hollymount, Ardnaree, Sarsfield, Abbeyknockmoy and Sylane. The adventure continues.

Connacht Senior Club Football Championship
Quarter Final (25/10/15)
Corofin (Galway) 1-17 Mohill (Leitrim) 0-07

Semi Final (08/11/15)
Caln Na nGael (Roscommon) 0-13 Castlebar (Mayo) 3-08
Corofin (Galway) 4-14 St. Marys (Sligo) 2-06

Final (22/11/15)
Corofin (Galway) 0-11 Castlebar (Mayo) 2-10

Connacht Intermediate Club Football Championship
Quarter Final (17/10/15)
Melvin Gaels (Leitrim) 3-09 Easkey (Sligo) 0-09

Semi Final (01/11/15)
Michael Glaveys (Roscommon) 2-07 Moycullen (Galway) 2-16
Melvin Gaels (Leitrim) 1-12 Hollymount (Mayo) 2-13

Final (15/11/15)
Moycullen (Galway) 0-08 Hollymount (Mayo) 0-09

Connacht Junior Club Football Championship
Quarter Final (18/10/15)
Cliften (Galway) 0-15 Owenmore Gaels (Sligo) 0-09

Semi Final (01/11/15)
Shannon Gaels (Roscommon) 0-09 Cliften (Galway) 2-09
Ardnaree (Mayo) W/O Aughavas (Leitrim)

Final (15/11/15)
Cliften (Galway) 1-07 Ardnaree (Mayo) 1-11

Connacht Intermediate Club Hurling Championship
Semi Final (26/10/15)
Four Roads (Roscommon) 3-09 Ballyhaunis (Mayo) 1-12

Final (08/11/15)
Four Roads (Roscommon) 0-11 Abbeyknockmoy (Galway) 1-11

Connacht Junior Club Hurling Championship
Semi Final (26/10/15)
Calry/St. Josephs (Sligo) 2-11 Ballinamore (Leitrim) 1-03

Final (08/11/15)
Calry/St. Josephs (Sligo) 2-07 Sylane (Galway) 1-18

Connacht Minor A Club Football Championship
Quarter Final (26/10/15)
St. Marys (Sligo) 3-15 St. Manachans (Leitrim) 4-10

Semi Final (06/11/15)
St. Marys (Sligo) pulled out of the competition and were replaced by runners up from Mayo
Castlebar (Mayo) 4-02 Salthill/Knocknacarra (Galway) 6-11
Padraig Pearses (Roscommon) pulled out of the competition and were replaced by runners up from Roscommon
Claremorris (Mayo) 2-05 Clan Na nGael (Roscommon) 2-07

Final (07/11/15)
Salthill/Knocknacarra (Galway) 7-11 Clan Na nGael (Roscommon) 3-09

Connacht Minor B Club Football Championship
Quarter Final (26/10/15)
Calry/St. Josephs (Sligo) 0-11 Melvin Gaels (Leitrim) 2-13

Semi Final (06/11/15)
Melvin Gaels (Leitrim) 2-05 Oranmore Maree (Galway) 3-06
Knockmore (Mayo) 2-09 Oran (Roscommon) 1-08

Final (07/11/15)
Knockmore (Mayo) 2-10 Oranmore Maree (Galway) 1-05

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on November 22, 2015, 10:17:50 PM
Moysider, should the Mayo players have applied your wise advice before getting rid of their management team? is that not the reason that this whole discussion is taking place? Will the Mayo panel take responsibility next season when things dont go to plan?
Everything that has been said here defending Rochford today contradicts what happened to Connelly and Holmes.

No it doesn t.

Holmes didn t exactly cover himself in glory in Mitchels v Vincents a couple of years ago and ended up as Mayo manager again. Of course it wasn t all his fault v Vincents or anything. It s never that simple. All managers have rough days on the sideline. I remember McStay having to suffer an absolute walloping by Sligo in Mark. Park many years ago as a manager. Did that make him useless.

We don t know if Rochford will be the answer to finally getting there. H&Cs admirers seem to be from mostly outside the county. Fair enough but I think people in the county are better informed. As I said we don t know if Rochford is the answer if he gets the gig but most of us knew H&C were not the answer and got the gig for the wrong reasons.

The same as that; I have no influence on proceedings and I don't intend to spend the rest of my youth worrying about what may or may not happen when championship time comes around again.
BUt we have at least four woolly jumpers who will outpost every single one of us on all topics, with any sort of a Mayo connection, surmising our future and telling us that we are basically banjaxed: the players will be under pressure;' the manager is useless; we'll never be able to contain the likes of Cregger when he gets going etc. etc.
They park their wanderly wagon outside our front door and keep blathering away about our perceived problems.
If I had the misfortune to be born on the wrong side of the mearing fence, I'd keep me gob shut about Stephen Rochford and worry instead about Kevin McStay.
I mean who is likely to be under the greater pressure, Rochford or McStay?
The Rossies had one hell of a decent manager who had them punching well above their weight; he had a proven record of success with them and then they turn around and shaft him when the team calved in their first championship match of the year.
Now, they have two bucks who have to start all over from the beginning and if their team implodes again, and there is no reason to suppose that they won't, McStay and Fergie can expect the same gratitude as Evans  got.
Will they freeze at the sight of a Sligo jersey? There is no reason to suppose that they won't, is there?
Unless Mayo hit a bad day. there isn't a chance that Roscommon would beat them in the championship even if Dustin the Turkey was in charge.
I am not stirring anything up here; the reason for my confidence should be apparent even to the most deluded sheep shaggist on the planet.
Mayo have undergone four or five years of intensive s&c training. Their preparation facilities are second to none. Unless the Rossies pawn their bus and dig up a few bob from somewhere, they won't last urination time with the likes of Mayo, Dublin, Kerry and probably Donegal.
Our interlopers can worry about us if they want to but if they are looking for inspiration, they'd better be thinking Knock rather than McHale Park
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Canalman

Probably been said before, but the state of the pitch yesterday was embarassing. Couldn't see the players' boots at times the grass was so long.

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 23, 2015, 11:45:06 AM

No it doesn t.

The same as that; I have no influence on proceedings and I don't intend to spend the rest of my youth worrying about what may or may not happen when championship time comes around again.
BUt we have at least four woolly jumpers who will outpost every single one of us on all topics, with any sort of a Mayo connection, surmising our future and telling us that we are basically banjaxed: the players will be under pressure;' the manager is useless; we'll never be able to contain the likes of Cregger when he gets going etc. etc.
They park their wanderly wagon outside our front door and keep blathering away about our perceived problems.
If I had the misfortune to be born on the wrong side of the mearing fence, I'd keep me gob shut about Stephen Rochford and worry instead about Kevin McStay.
The Rossies had one hell of a decent manager who had them punching well above their weight; he had a proven record of success with them and then they turn around and shaft him when the team calved in their first championship match of the year.
Now, they have two bucks who have to start all over from the beginning and if their team implodes again, and there is no reason to suppose that they won't, McStay and Fergie can expect the same gratitude as Evans  got.
Will they freeze at the sight of a Sligo jersey? There is no reason to suppose that they won't, is there?
Unless Mayo hit a bad day. there isn't a chance that Roscommon would beat them in the championship even if Dustin the Turkey was in charge.
I am not stirring anything up here; the reason for my confidence should be apparent even to the most deluded sheep shaggist on the planet.
Mayo have undergone four or five years of intensive s&c training. Their preparation facilities are second to none. Unless the Rossies pawn their bus and dig up a few bob from somewhere, they won't last urination time with the likes of Mayo, Dublin, Kerry and probably Donegal.
Our interlopers can worry about us if they want to but if they are looking for inspiration, they'd better be thinking Knock rather than McHale Park

McStay can only dream of having us compete with titans like Sligo and Fermanagh is it, Lar?

Evans was a good manager but no one could make the case he did much of anything in the championship in his three years. That's why he's gone, rightly or wrongly.

Shrewdness

Lar, surely you're not trying to imply that Mc Stay/O'Donnell are under more pressure than Rochford. Mayo are the county that think they have a god given right to win Sam, even though it will be 65 years since they last won it.....65 years!!. The Mayo players are the ones who hounded and humiliated two good genuine Mayo Gaa men, family men out of their jobs. Should next year go belly up (again), Rochford will also be spat out.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on November 23, 2015, 01:37:42 PM

No it doesn t.

McStay can only dream of having us compete with titans like Sligo and Fermanagh is it, Lar?

Evans was a good manager but no one could make the case he did much of anything in the championship in his three years. That's why he's gone, rightly or wrongly.

Not quite Syf, I'd expect a bit more than that from him but you have at least as much problems, potential banana skins if you like, as we have.
It's not McStay who isn't up to the mark; it's his players that I'd be worried about. They are perennial underachievers and cockiness cost them dearly when they faced Sligo last year. I've often said that the  Ross players, going on underage form, should hold their own with any other team in Connacht and with most teams outside of it as well.
Fergie couldn't get them motoring and neither could John Evans. Now as regards Mayo, I can't see why so many Rossies are very concerned about our welfare.
I don't think any Mayo head on this board is too worried about Rochford, the panel or anyone or anything else. Your new setup should cause you more concern than ours. After all, Rochford isn't exactly a newbie to the management scene, the players are ready and waiting for the off and apart from the FBD and the fearsome defending champions, they should have nothing to worry about. They did not sack the managers;  some bastard spilled the beans and as a result, two honest plodders got shafted.
Nobody can say what would have happened if all the relevant parties had a chance to gather around the table and discuss the players reservations. This didn't happen and the rest is history. Can't blame the players if there was a leak from within the county board.
So in a nutshell, thanks for your collective concern for our general welfare but really ye should be more pre-occupied  with your lot than ours. We have nothing to be concerned about.  No story here; move along now, please. ;D

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 23, 2015, 03:24:33 PM

No it doesn t.

Not quite Syf, I'd expect a bit more than that from him but you have at least as much problems, potential banana skins if you like, as we have.
It's not McStay who isn't up to the mark; it's his players that I'd be worried about. They are perennial underachievers and cockiness cost them dearly when they faced Sligo last year. I've often said that the  Ross players, going on underage form, should hold their own with any other team in Connacht and with most teams outside of it as well.
Fergie couldn't get them motoring and neither could John Evans. Now as regards Mayo, I can't see why so many Rossies are very concerned about our welfare.
I don't think any Mayo head on this board is too worried about Rochford, the panel or anyone or anything else. Your new setup should cause you more concern than ours. After all, Rochford isn't exactly a newbie to the management scene, the players are ready and waiting for the off and apart from the FBD and the fearsome defending champions, they should have nothing to worry about. They did not sack the managers;  some b**tard spilled the beans and as a result, two honest plodders got shafted.
Nobody can say what would have happened if all the relevant parties had a chance to gather around the table and discuss the players reservations. This didn't happen and the rest is history. Can't blame the players if there was a leak from within the county board.
So in a nutshell, thanks for your collective concern for our general welfare but really ye should be more pre-occupied  with your lot than ours. We have nothing to be concerned about.  No story here; move along now, please. ;D

There was absolutely no cockiness from the team before the SligI game, but I'm sure you know that well Lar.

The 'pernially underachieving' Mayo panel engaging in prima donna chopping of managers was always going to be a huge story. You're facing into December with no appointment.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on November 23, 2015, 03:51:22 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 23, 2015, 03:24:33 PM

No it doesn t.

I don't think any Mayo head on this board is too worried about Rochford, the panel or anyone or anything else. Your new setup should cause you more concern than ours. After all, Rochford isn't exactly a newbie to the management scene, the players are ready and waiting for the off and apart from the FBD and the fearsome defending champions, they should have nothing to worry about. They did not sack the managers;  some b**tard spilled the beans and as a result, two honest plodders got shafted.

There was absolutely no cockiness from the team before the SligI game, but I'm sure you know that well Lar.

The 'pernially underachieving' Mayo panel engaging in prima donna chopping of managers was always going to be a huge story. You're facing into December with no appointment.
Are you joking? What else tripped them up so? Poor Evans was only trying to gee the team up before the game when he said Ross could win an All-Ireland but it seems everyone in the county took him at his word. I can't recall a single Ross supporter on this board or indeed anywhere else, who stated that Sligo was in with a chance.
The "perenially underachieving" Mayo side won the last 5 Connacht titles on the trot as well as beating Donegal, Dublin and Kerry, last three AI winners, at various stages during the championships in the last few years.
No effin' use I know but our list of perennial underachievement does not bear comparison with yours.
So we are facing into December without a manager, are we?
So effing what? Do we need a manager to win out in Connacht?  ;D ;D
You must be joking!
St Patrick himself could do the business there if anybody asked him to. (BTW, I don't recall seeing him about the place for some time. I hope the poor hoor is okay.)