Mayo v Kerry, All-Ireland Junior Final, Croke Park 2pm Aug 8th

Started by blanketattack, August 04, 2015, 10:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 06, 2015, 01:18:17 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 06, 2015, 12:46:28 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on August 05, 2015, 04:09:15 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 04, 2015, 10:29:39 PM
Conoreen Cox playing for the juniors. Strange that Fitz doesn't appear interested despite him being better than plenty of the rotation players in the Kerry forward line.

Cox went to the States last summer along with a couple of other lads who were around the fringes of the Kerry squad - in hindsight a not very smart move.

I think that Kerry and Mayo are two of the teams which have the same selection criteria for their Junior team, Anyone confirm?

Kerry did come out and say something about using the junior team as a development squad as a way to give promising minors/lads out of U21 top class training/ keep them involved in a green-and-gold jersey/monitor their progress and fitness. They already have a fair chunk of lads who have gone on to play with the seniors after lining out for the juniors so it will be interesting to see if there is an increase in this.Seems to me that this is something other counties could be doing as well. At U21 county level the number of games can be very limited - each year 16 teams have 1 game, 8 teams 2 games, 4 teams 3 games and 2 teams 4 games.  I think Cavan and Wexford have taken a somewhat similar approach and Wexford seemed to cruise Leinster this year.

Massive experience for the lads to be playing this in Croker anyway. 

Does anyone know why Ulster have never bothered with the competition?

Holding a grudge because a young lad took a summer off on a J1 is a pathetic reason not to add him to the squad the next year when he's good enough.

I'm not 100% that it's just the fact that he went to the states that is the reason he isn't with the senior squad.
Out of the 26 named the last day the  subs bench was as follows

16. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
17. Colm Cooper Dr Crokes
18. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
19. Barry John Keane Kerins O'Rahillys
20. Michael Geaney Dingle
21. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
22. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes
23. Paul Galvin Finuge
24. Darran O'Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
25. Tommy Walsh Kerins O'Rahillys
26. Jack Sherwood Firies

Maybe a case could be made for him being there ahead of Darran O'Sullivan or Barry John Keane, but this probably isn't the best week to be making it given what they both scored in the Kildare. I'm not really equipped to know whether he is better than those 2 as I haven't seen a whole pile of him but I have heard some reports that he is a very selfish player and has a tendency to take on ridiculous shots as opposed to passing. He does seem to be very good in respect of deadballs, but when you're already carrying Sheahan in the squad, who is surely better, there's hardly much logic in taking up another squad place with a less effective play-kicker.

Also some might call it a case of holding a grudge but maybe you could call it a case of showing loyalty to those who helped win an All-Ireland last year. Also the fact that he is around the Juniors would suggest he is keen to wear the green-and-gold so it's hardly as if he was blacklisted. Anyway I'd imagine that in Kerry this is a very long long list of lads who were exceptional talented footballers who were just unlucky with the quality of the lads ahead of them. One of those things to keep an eye out for in the league next year maybe.

Not these days.

Rossfan

Fcuk sake Syf when will you realise that Kerry produce a lot of good footballers  ::)
Now if they could produce better managers for export........
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Cox is unfortunate in that he has Jameso, Geaney, Barry-John Keane, Donaghy, Cooper ahead of him in pecking order for full forward line places. He is a very talented footballer, who I myself would have on the squad at least, but you have to trust the management judgement in fairness.

I think if he played more at 11 for his club or the Kerry Juniors it would serve him well but he has played almost exclusively at 14 in recent times.

The suggestion that Fitz is basing his judgement of a player on going on a J1 when he isn't involved in the panel is beneath a response really.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Sidney on August 06, 2015, 01:26:54 PM
If Conor Cox's performance in the Sigerson Cup final is anything to go by he's no business being near the Kerry senior team.
Wasn't one of his best displays in that final however the year before he was arguably UCC best player in their Sigerson cup winning team. As Ciarrai_thuaidh said it's probably about the list of quality forwards ahead of him only Dublin have that type of forward power I think Cox would get on Monaghan,Donegal,Mayo,Tyrone senior panels.

blanketattack

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 06, 2015, 04:09:54 PM
Quote from: Sidney on August 06, 2015, 01:26:54 PM
If Conor Cox's performance in the Sigerson Cup final is anything to go by he's no business being near the Kerry senior team.
Wasn't one of his best displays in that final however the year before he was arguably UCC best player in their Sigerson cup winning team. As Ciarrai_thuaidh said it's probably about the list of quality forwards ahead of him only Dublin have that type of forward power I think Cox would get on Monaghan,Donegal,Mayo,Tyrone senior panels.

Paul Geaney was no great shakes in the final either and he's not doing too badly with Kerry.
Also some good young lads coming through e.g. Conor Geaney in this year's minors, Killian Spillane from last year's and Conor Keane from year before. Would expect all 3 to be on Kerry u21 team next year, so will be very interesting to see how they fare under Jack.

Bod Mor

Mayo team named. Hope there is a good crowd of green and red in for this but it's a big ask having people in from 2 o'clock til almost 8 in the evening. Fans travelling from Erris would want to be hitting the road before 8 in the morning.
We'll be up against three counties from Ulster on Saturday so hope there is a decent crowd travelling.

1.   Blake Forkan - Kiltimagh
  2.   Pat Barrett - Belmullet
  3.   Brendan Moran - Cill Chomain
  4.   Barry Leonard - Lahardane
  5.   Eoghan Collins - Ballyhaunis
  6.   Darren McHugh - Hollymount/Carramore
  7.   Eoin O'Donoghue - Belmullet
  8.   Peter Collins - Islandeady
  9.   Padraic Feerick - Hollymount/Carramore
  10.Gavin Conway - Ballaghaderreen
  11.Cathal Freeman - Aghamore (Capt.)
  12.Darren Durcan - Parke
  13.Damien McGing - Ballintubber
  14.John Hutton - Claremorris
  15.Ronan Malee - Kiltimagh

16.Matthew Flanagan - Balla
  17.Rowland McIntyre - Belmullet
  18.Sean Gaughan - Belmullet
  19.Declan Healy - Davitts
  20.Mickey Barrett - Knockmore
  21.Andrew Farrell - Killala
  22.Michael Togher - Belmullet
  23.Darragh Joyce - Islandeady
  24.Mícheál Forde - Ballycastle

Manager: Sean McLoughlin
Selectors: Daire McManamon, John Gilmore & Paraic Costello
Physios: David Walsh and Fergal Carrol
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

twohands!!!

Quote1 Shane Murphy Kilcummin

2 Dan O'Donoghue Spa

3 Jack McGuire Listowel Emmets

4 David Culhane Ballylongford

5 James Walsh Knocknagoshel

6 Tadhg Morley Templenoe

7 Gavin Crowley Templenoe

8 Brendan O'Sullivan Valentia

9 Liam Kearney Spa

10 Brian Crowley Templenoe

11 Jeff O'Donoghue Glenflesk

12 Philip O'Connor Cordal

13 Thomas Hickey Castleisland Desmonds

14 Conor Cox Listowel Emmets

15 Alan O'Donoghue (C) John Mitchels

Fir Ionaid:

16 Darragh O'Shea Ballydonoghue

17 Eamon Kiely Brosna

18 Brian Sugrue Renard

19 Michael Brennan Churchill

20 Gary O'Sullivan Listry

21 Jordan Kiely Dr Crokes

22 Adam Barry Brosna

23 David Griffin Ardfert

24 Killian Spillane Templenoe

Bainistíocht:
Bainisteoir: Stephen Wallace (Ardfert)
Roghnoirí: Fergus Clifford (Listry), Denis O'Sullivan (Dromid Pearses), Timmy O'Sullivan (Kerins O'Rahillys)

From the Bunker

Kerry are 1/7
Mayo 5/1

Looks like one way traffic tomorrow afternoon if the Bookies are to be believed! A repeat of 2012. I hear Mayo have drafted in a couple of players (who are starting)? Not good if true! This grade of intercounty football is for players who want to play for their county, represent their clubs and their families. Beyond that nobody cares. That said it's a nice title to win and I'd for one would not turn down winning such a medal to add to my (extremely) humble collection. Oh and before i forget..........Hon Mayo!

twohands!!!

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2015, 11:32:35 PM
Kerry are 1/7
Mayo 5/1

Looks like one way traffic tomorrow afternoon if the Bookies are to be believed! A repeat of 2012. I hear Mayo have drafted in a couple of players (who are starting)? Not good if true! This grade of intercounty football is for players who want to play for their county, represent their clubs and their families. Beyond that nobody cares. That said it's a nice title to win and I'd for one would not turn down winning such a medal to add to my (extremely) humble collection. Oh and before i forget..........Hon Mayo!

1/7 is the bookies basically saying that they don't want bets on Kerry for this game. Can't really blame them to be honest a the Kerry team looks to have a serious amount of quality for this level - fair chunk of those Kerry lads played Sigerson, minor and U21. A few of them have even lined out for the senior team in the league and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a fair few more got runs with the seniors before too long. They beat Cork well iirc and showed great character in the Wexford game - conceded a goal to go 5 points down in the 2nd half but responded very well and ran out comfortable winners. Mayo by comparison don't see to have the same sort of quality. 

Nihilist

That Kerry team is very impressive. I know Shane Murphy would probably be on the Senior squad now only hes from the same club as the Senior keeper. And you see the likes of Spillane on the bench (Tom's son I believe)  but meant to be very talented.

As for Mayo -  the team and subs seem to change each match. Looks like the management tried to give everyone a run in the hope that if they were lucky enough to win anything everyone would be entitled to a medal. more hope than expectation though.

Blowitupref

HT Mayo 0-6 Kerry 1-9. Mayo scored the last 4 points of the half
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

macdanger2

Mayo dominating possession but unable to take their scores. 10 down at one stage looked ominous but they've responded well. Farrell from killala playing very well

Blowitupref

Another All Ireland title to Kerrys collection. Result Kerry 2-18 Mayo 0-10
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

twohands!!!

On the issue of whether Cox is being unfairly excluded from the Kerry senior team, he'd didn't do much to push his case today as he was subbed off in the 35th minute, his only scores being 2 points from frees.

macdanger2

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 08, 2015, 10:33:34 PM
On the issue of whether Cox is being unfairly excluded from the Kerry senior team, he'd didn't do much to push his case today as he was subbed off in the 35th minute, his only scores being 2 points from frees.

Yeah, you wouldn't have picked him out as being a potential senior player. Same with young Spillane