Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 05, 2015, 04:38:00 PM
I'm surprised how many neutrals seem to think Tyrone will take Monaghan.
Met loads in Galway and back here in Dublin who all think Tyrone have what it takes to beat them

I think this is a very new look Tyrone team & whilst it has experience it always struggles against a HEAVY blanket which both Monaghan and Donegal play very well. Even Kerry now can smother teams instead of playing their much more open game.
I can see Kerry playing open until they meet the Dubs and then suffocating them in the final.

My head says Monaghan but my heart and every other neutral says Tyrone.
I think some of those neutrals might be telling you what they think you want to hear!

I don't think by any stretch that Monaghan will sail through Saturday, or that they're guaranteed to win, but I don't see how anyone can take an objective look at the fixture and be confident that Tyrone will win it - a few on here talking about a 4 point win.

Just think about:
Tyrone being totally untested through the qualifiers (and even then, Sligo managed 14 points on Saturday)
Respective league performances, including head to head fixture
Comparison of the two teams since the corresponding fixture in 2013 - Tyrone having lost some experienced players
Monaghan more focussed on the QF than in 2013
Monaghan having beaten Tyrone in last year's Ulster Championship (first time since 1988)

macdanger2

I expect monaghan to win. Not easily but not to be in a danger of losing either

Rodman

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 05, 2015, 10:05:58 PM
Met loads in Galway and back here in Dublin who all think Tyrone have what it takes to beat them

I think this is a very new look Tyrone team & whilst it has experience it always struggles against a HEAVY blanket which both Monaghan and Donegal play very well. Even Kerry now can smother teams instead of playing their much more open game.
I can see Kerry playing open until they meet the Dubs and then suffocating them in the final.

I think some of those neutrals might be telling you what they think you want to hear!

I don't think by any stretch that Monaghan will sail through Saturday, or that they're guaranteed to win, but I don't see how anyone can take an objective look at the fixture and be confident that Tyrone will win it - a few on here talking about a 4 point win.

Just think about:
Tyrone being totally untested through the qualifiers (and even then, Sligo managed 14 points on Saturday)
Comparison of the two teams since the corresponding fixture in 2013 - Tyrone having lost some experienced players
Monaghan having beaten Tyrone in last year's Ulster Championship (first time since 1988)

Maybe its because Tyrone win in Croke Park, Monaghan don't.

Maguire01

Quote from: Rodman on August 05, 2015, 10:22:20 PM

Just think about:

Well they do. Kildare last year and a number of other league finals for this group of players.

Not forgetting that Tyrone can lose in Croke Park too.

Any prediction based on that (flawed) logic isn't worth taking too seriously.

BennyHarp

Just think about:

Although I'm not particularly confident of a Tyrone win, some of the analysis writing off Tyrone's chances are equally as pointless as the wide open space of Croker and stop McManus analysis writing off Monaghan's chances. Yes Tyrone haven't been tested but neither have Dublin, Mayo or to a lesser extent Kerry. Yes, Monaghan beat us in the league but we drew with Kerry and Dublin, where does that place Tyrone on that basis. Yes, Tyrone have lost experienced players since 2013, but we would be a lot less competitive if those guys were still there. I think the emergence of Brennan, Meyler, McNamee and Bradley bring a freshness that may actually make us stronger. Monaghan's focus on the qtr final is greater on than 2013? Really? How do we quantify that and how does that tip the balance exactly? Last year Tyrone were brutal v Monagham in Ulster.....and still only lost by the width of a post.

Like I said, this is a close one and none of the above will make a jot of difference to the outcome.
That was never a square ball!!

An Watcher

What's the story with cathal mcshane? Is he injured? Given his chance against the most defensive team in the country that any forward would struggle against never mind a young under 21. Meanwhile his teammates from the u21 are given chances against lesser sides like limerick and tipp.  Maybe I'm missing something or he's injured but he's a physically strong fella that could be an asset v Monaghan

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: An Watcher on August 05, 2015, 10:46:10 PM
What's the story with cathal mcshane? Is he injured? Given his chance against the most defensive team in the country that any forward would struggle against never mind a young under 21. Meanwhile his teammates from the u21 are given chances against lesser sides like limerick and tipp.  Maybe I'm missing something or he's injured but he's a physically strong fella that could be an asset v Monaghan

He's not injured. He had a minor injury for the Limerick game but has been fine since.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Champion The Wonder Horse

Both teams are where they would have expected to be when the season began. Definitely top 8, maybe a bit short of top 4. One team will slightly over-achieve; the other will meet expectations. I would expect Kerry to beat either, but I would be fairly confident Tyrone will win on Saturday.

A very good evening's entertain awaits. €30 for the double header is super value.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 05, 2015, 10:34:23 PM

Just think about:

Well they do. Kildare last year and a number of other league finals for this group of players.

How about just having the belief that we are better and are going to win? The belief that we have better players and that we can and should be beating you 9 outta 10 times? And that last year was just that 1 chance in 10? Where does all that fit in?

Schkite

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 05, 2015, 10:36:45 PM

Just think about:

Although I'm not particularly confident of a Tyrone win, some of the analysis writing off Tyrone's chances are equally as pointless as the wide open space of Croker and stop McManus analysis writing off Monaghan's chances. Yes Tyrone haven't been tested but neither have Dublin, Mayo or to a lesser extent Kerry. Yes, Monaghan beat us in the league but we drew with Kerry and Dublin, where does that place Tyrone on that basis. Yes, Tyrone have lost experienced players since 2013, but we would be a lot less competitive if those guys were still there. I think the emergence of Brennan, Meyler, McNamee and Bradley bring a freshness that may actually make us stronger. Monaghan's focus on the qtr final is greater on than 2013? Really? How do we quantify that and how does that tip the balance exactly? Last year Tyrone were brutal v Monagham in Ulster.....and still only lost by the width of a post.

Like I said, this is a close one and none of the above will make a jot of difference to the outcome.

I don't know if it tips the balance in any way but it's pretty clear that we're more focused on the quarter-final than two years ago. In 2013 there were two weeks between the Ulster final and quarter final, and about half that was spent celebrating after a 25 year wait for Ulster. This time there's three weeks, and the preparations for the quarter final started the Tuesday after the Ulster final. Perhaps it won't make a difference in the result, but it's certainly a bigger target to get to a semi-final than it was in 2013.

Maguire01

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 05, 2015, 11:11:12 PM

Just think about:

How about just having the belief that we are better and are going to win? The belief that we have better players and that we can and should be beating you 9 outta 10 times? And that last year was just that 1 chance in 10? Where does all that fit in?
Possibly into the "heart ruling head" category.  :P

nrico2006

Just think about:

How many championship games have Monaghan played in Croke Park since 2005?  How many have they won? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

timmyot501

Does the past performances of Monaghan since 2005 in Croke Park really matter. I think we played 7 and lost 6.

2005 - Lost to Tyrone who went on to win the All-Ireland. We had a good run after years doing nothing.
2007 - Lost to Kerry by a point and they went on to win the All Ireland.  The hardest defeat ever to take. Had them.
2008 - Lost to defending champions Kerry again, pushed them all the way
2010 - 6 days after an ulster final defeat lost to Kildare. Never got into the game
2013 - Lost to Tyrone after winning first ulster title in 25 years. Cavanaghgate and all that. Could have won this one
2014 - BEAT Kildare after extra time in the driving rain after losing the ulster final two weeks earlier
2014 - Lost to the Dubs a week after the Kildare game.  Too much to ask at the time.

But what influence will 2005 have on Saturday?  Last year we played 2, won one, lost one.  Not too bad!

nrico2006

I think it does have a big bearing on the potential outcome of this weekends game.  Monaghan are fortunate enough (a bit like Dublin in a way) to get a high portion of their championship games at home.  They beat Tyrone last year by a point at home and the same with Donegal a few weeks back.  Croke Park is a neutral venue and it seems that in nearly all their championship games played there over the past number of years that they don't do as well as they do at home, which is natural considering the advantages that teams gain when playing in their own ground, they say its usually worth 2 or 3 points. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ONeill

Philip Jordan says Monaghan by 2. He's an astute analyst.

Can't see anyone lumping on Tyrone.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.