Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soup an Samajiz

Quote from: JoG2 on August 04, 2015, 04:15:59 PM
Quote from: Schkite on August 04, 2015, 03:43:33 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 04, 2015, 03:31:16 PM
How come a lot of players and managers all allude to Croke Park being that bit bigger?  Also, when watching a game on TV for example it always appears that there is far more space in Croke Park than Clones for example.  Even Jim McGuinness mentioned it at the weekend on Sky, and I doubt a man like himself was spouting such a fact without having researched it at one stage previously.

Sure it's a little bigger, but not to the extent that some people make it out to be.

Tomás O'Se was asked about this and he said its because there is such a big gap between the sidelines and the seats. It gives the impression its wider. I'll have to believe the man having never played on it myself.

Casement and MacCumhaill Park are both bigger than Croke Pk

Played in both Casement and Croke Park, it's like a feckin Ocean, Casement was worse right enuf
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

bogball88

Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on August 04, 2015, 04:15:28 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on August 04, 2015, 04:05:45 PM
Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on August 04, 2015, 04:00:53 PM
C'mere, what would be the best establishment to catch the game in Belfast without fear of the foreign game being on instead?

Hatfield maybe. Don't think you'll get it in too many places in the city centre

Was thinkin the Bot but with the PL startin this weekend they'll no doubt hav it on.. don't really fancy the hatfield to be honest
Bot will have it on one of their screens, as will the errigle. The parador on up past the errigle would be a good shout

redhandefender

Quote from: bogball88 on August 04, 2015, 04:34:58 PM
C'mere, what would be the best establishment to catch the game in Belfast without fear of the foreign game being on instead?

Was thinkin the Bot but with the PL startin this weekend they'll no doubt hav it on.. don't really fancy the hatfield to be honest
Bot will have it on one of their screens, as will the errigle. The parador on up past the errigle would be a good shout

Paradoor is the best these days, run by greg blaneys brother I believe. Hatfield some spot for the craic though

bogball88

Quote from: redhandefender on August 04, 2015, 04:39:20 PM

Aye parador great spot, I'd doubt how much craic there would be in the Hatfield though in August

Paradoor is the best these days, run by greg blaneys brother I believe. Hatfield some spot for the craic though

thebuzz

Don't know about the others but the Bot definitely has multiple screens and should show both games.

Maguire01

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 04, 2015, 11:39:38 AM
What is Monaghans record in Croke Park over the past 11 or 12 years?  Serious amount of defeats.
In League, wins against Meath and Donegal, losses to Cork and Dublin.
In Championship, win against Kildare, losses to Kildare, Dublin, Tyrone and Kerry (twice).

More defeats than wins, but generally against sides that would have been ranked significantly higher, and all bar last year's Dublin game were narrow losses at that. It's not like we've been heading into matches as favourites and choking. I don't see our recent Croke Park record as having any impact on Saturday.

omaghjoe

Quote from: redhandefender on August 04, 2015, 04:39:20 PM

For the craic...hit the Hat!

Parador is b4 the Errigal is it not?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 04, 2015, 05:49:04 PM
What is Monaghans record in Croke Park over the past 11 or 12 years?  Serious amount of defeats.
In Championship, win against Kildare, losses to Kildare, Dublin, Tyrone and Kerry (twice).

More defeats than wins, but generally against sides that would have been ranked significantly higher, and all bar last year's Dublin game were narrow losses at that. It's not like we've been heading into matches as favourites and choking. I don't see our recent Croke Park record as having any impact on Saturday.

But would it rest heavy that a very good Monaghan squad have failed to transform two provincial wins in 3 years into an AI semi place at least? This really is a huge game for this Monaghan squad, in my view the biggest for the county since 1985, given the stage of development of the squad and the fact that they are expected to win. Would the season be considered a failure if they lose? Would it be the end for Malachy? Tyrone are effectively where they should be at this stage, a win is a bonus. The pressure is all on Monaghan. Playing anyone other than Tyrone and I would really want to see them do it as I like the way the have gone about building that team over the last 3 or 4 years into what they are today. But it will mean nothing if they lose on Sunday. This should be a very close affair, if I was Monaghan, I'd have preferred anyone other than another Ulster team for this one.
That was never a square ball!!

Maguire01

Quote from: 50fiftyball on August 04, 2015, 09:38:02 AM
The pressure is all on Monaghan this Saturday, Tyrone have nothing to lose, a lot of young players brought into the team. Monaghan have shown that once they get out of Ulster they've been "chokers in Croker" and in my opinion from speaking to a few Monaghan men they don't want Tyrone at this moment in time.
I'm fairly happy with Tyrone - I know plenty of others looking forward to it. Probably could have had a handier draw, but the block that Monaghan seemed to have with Tyrone is now a distant memory.

The "chokers in Croker" comment is as lazy as the references to "stop McManus = beat Monaghan". I don't believe Monaghan choke in Croke Park - in general, they've just come up against better teams, and in most cases, lost narrowly.

Maguire01

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 04, 2015, 05:56:43 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 04, 2015, 05:49:04 PM

But would it rest heavy that a very good Monaghan squad have failed to transform two provincial wins in 3 years into an AI semi place at least? This really is a huge game for this Monaghan squad and Malachy o'Rourke. Would the season be considered a failure if they lose? Would it be the end for Malachy? Tyrone are effectively where they should be at this stage, a win is a bonus. The pressure is all on Monaghan. Playing anyone other than Tyrone and I would really want to see them do it as I like the way the have gone about building that team over the last 3 or 4 years into what they are today. But it will mean nothing if they lose on Sunday. This should be a very close affair, if I was Monaghan, I'd have preferred anyone other than another Ulster team for this one.
To the bit in bold:Yes. And yes, the pressure is on Monaghan more than Tyrone - we've a point to prove (i.e. to make it past the QF) and we're favourites.

But to say that we lose on Sunday and it will mean nothing, or the season be considered a failure? Wide of the mark, in my opinion. I'd prefer a QF loss with an Ulster title than a SF loss through the qualifiers. Whatever happens, Monaghan are Ulster Champions for 2015. That's will never mean nothing. A loss would be a big anti-climax and take the gloss off the year - especially given the opposition and that we're very capable of winning the game - but 2015 = 3rd in Division 1 (including a win in Kerry) and an Ulster title, can't be a failure.

yellowcard

I'd like to see Monaghan win this match and I think they will. The first year they won Ulster they would have been happy enough with what they had achieved for the season. This year is slightly different and I think this is the the crunch match for them. Break that hoodoo and win a big game in Croke Park and they can look forward to a semi final against Kerry with very little expectation. O'Rourke has drained an awful lot out of that squad but they have a certain 'dogs of war' mentality that should see them scrape past Tyrone.

Maguire01

Quote from: yellowcard on August 04, 2015, 06:14:21 PM
I'd like to see Monaghan win this match and I think they will. The first year they won Ulster they would have been happy enough with what they had achieved for the season. This year is slightly different and I think this is the the crunch match for them. Break that hoodoo and win a big game in Croke Park and they can look forward to a semi final against Kerry with very little expectation. O'Rourke has drained an awful lot out of that squad but they have a certain 'dogs of war' mentality that should see them scrape past Tyrone.
I'd agree there was an element of that in 2013 - as there would be with any county who hadn't won a provincial title in 25 years - although the QF loss to Tyrone was still hard to take. Getting a second Ulster so soon afterwards and it's clear that expectations are raised. No tour of the county with the Anglo Celt this time, but focus on a QF.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 04, 2015, 05:49:55 PM
For the craic...hit the Hat!

Parador is b4 the Errigal is it not?

Nope, not from the city centre it isn't.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Tyrone team in 2013 v Monaghan QF:

Tyrone: P McConnell; D Carlin, C Clarke (0-1), C McCarron; C McGinley (0-1), P Harte (0-1), C Gormley; C Cavanagh, S Cavanagh (0-5); Mattie Donnelly (0-1), M Donnelly, Joe McMahon (0-2); D McCurry (0-2), S O'Neill, M Penrose. Subs: P McNeice for McMahon, A Cassidy for McCurry, R McNabb for McNeice, R O'Neill (0-1) for S O'Neill, P Kane for Mark Donnelly

Big changes in 2 years.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

An Watcher

Slightly off topic folks but I'm heading down to this on Saturday with my dad. Only really familiar with good watering holes but anyone know any good eating establishments nearby? Not looking anything fancy but somewhere u could get a bite to eat without it being jammed to the gills with boozers. Flip I'm getting old!