Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: Tommo2 on August 04, 2015, 11:40:49 AM
As long as Tyrone don't get stuffed on Saturday, I think there has been enough progress in this team for Mickey Harte to remain in charge and to develop them over the next couple of years.

I would not like to see Harte back next year, hopefully he does the right thing at the end of this year.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ONeill

Yes a quarter final almost exceeded expectations. Relegated from division 1, a rash of retirements last Autumn, a horrible defeat in July last year....I thought it'd be a few years before Tyrone dined with the heavyweights again.

It's just great to be sharing the same turf with the Ulster Champions in August.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ONeill on August 04, 2015, 12:32:47 PM
Yes a quarter final almost exceeded expectations. Relegated from division 1, a rash of retirements last Autumn, a horrible defeat in July last year....I thought it'd be a few years before Tyrone dined with the heavyweights again.

It's just great to be sharing the same turf with the Ulster Champions in August.

And don't forget that night when the lights went out. The worst Tyrone performance in many a year and McManus didn't appear until the 59th minute. We are doomed!!!!

Floodlight failure as Monaghan win at Healy Park

Tyrone 0-09 Monaghan 1-13

Newly promoted Monaghan defeated Tyrone 1-13 to 0-09 in a game interrupted by a 31-minute floodlights failure in Saturday's Alianz Football League Division 1 clash at Healy Park.
Tyrone went five points clear with three Darren McCurry frees, but a Monaghan rally saw Darren Hughes and Stephen Gollogly reduce the deficit.
The Red Hands led by 0-07 to 0-05 at the break, but Monaghan dominated the second  half and sealed it with a Gollogly goal, winning comfortable in the end with points from Conor McManus and Paul Finlay to seal the seven-point victory.
Sean Cavanagh got the Red Hands going with an early free, with Peter Hughes latching on to Aidan McCrory's assist to double the lead.
Dessie Mone's spectacular ling range effort launched the Farney challenge and Kieran Hughes tapped over a free, but the Red Hands, with McCrory and Mattie Donnelly making thrusting runs into opposition territory, Tyrone were the more potent attacking threat.
Cavanagh was a constant threat up front, winning two frees that Darren McCurry tapped between the uprights, and Mickey Harte's side led by 0-6 to 0-2 at the end of the opening quarter, after corner back McCrory had pushed forward to hit the target.
Drew and Ryan Wylie pulled the visitors out of a couple of sticky situations, but McCurry's third converted free made it 0-5 to 0-2 bnu the 16th minute.
And the Red Hand pushed five points clear, holding their opponents scoreless for 20 minutes, before Darren Hughes took the game by the scruff of the neck, bursting past three tackles to punch over an inspirational score.
And it did the trick, for they claimed the last three scores of the half to narrow the gap to two.
Tyrone failed to score in the final 17 minutes, but still led 0-7 to 0-5 at the break.
They faced a stiff breeze in the second half, and Monaghan maintained the momentum, making it six points in the spin with the opening three points of the second half.
Debutant Ryan McAnespie had just given Monaghan the lead for the first time when the lights went out four minutes into the second half.
After a 31 minute delay, the Farney men found little difficulty in picking up the pace, while their opponents continued to struggle to find their early sparkle.
Matters became worse for Mickey Harte's side when one of their most effective performers, centre back Mattie Donnelly, picked up a black card for dragging back Darren Hughes.
Monaghan tails were up, and their supporters among the 4,124 crowd were ecsteatic when Paul Finlay came off the bench to sweep over a delightful free.
Tyrone had gone 38 minutes without raising a flag before goalkeeper Niall Morgan thumped a 47 metre free between the posts, but moments later Morgan was picking the ball out of his net following Stephen Gollogly's sublime 60th minute finish for the only goal of the game.
Tyrone finished the game with 14 men following Colm Cavanagh's second booking, and Monaghan finished on a high with scores from Finlay and substitute Conor McManus.

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-01, f), A McCrory (0-01), R McNamee, C McCarron, R McNabb, M Donnelly, B Tierney, C Cavanagh, P McNulty, PJ Lavery, R O'Neill, P Hughes (0-02), D McCurry (0-04, 3f), S Cavanagh (0-01, f), N McKenna.

Subs: S McGuigan for Lavery (41), C McCann for Hughes (41), T McCann for Donnelly (BC, 41), C McAliskey for McKenna (51)

Monaghan: R Beggan, F Kelly, D Wylie, R Wylie, D Mone (0-02), D Hughes (0-1), K Duffy, N McAdam, D Clerkin, K Hughes (0-02, 2f), S Gollogly (1-02, 0-1f), C Boyle, D Malone (0-01), D McKenna (0-01), R McAnespie (0-01).

Subs: P Finlay (0-02, 2f) for Clerkin (47), C McManus (0-01)for McKenna (59), E Duffy for K Hughes (67)

50fiftyball

league shmeague "never kickt a ball". Sure, it was in Omagh yes, but this is business end of the season, we'll see come Saturday how efficient the Monaghan unit is in the wide open spaces of Croke Park  ;)

Schkite

Quote from: 50fiftyball on August 04, 2015, 02:31:25 PM
league shmeague "never kickt a ball". Sure, it was in Omagh yes, but this is business end of the season, we'll see come Saturday how efficient the Monaghan unit is in the wide open spaces of Croke Park  ;)

Croke Park: 144.5m x 88m

Clones: 142 x 87 m

Yes I have to admit I'm worried about how we'll cope with the difference.

nrico2006

How come a lot of players and managers all allude to Croke Park being that bit bigger?  Also, when watching a game on TV for example it always appears that there is far more space in Croke Park than Clones for example.  Even Jim McGuinness mentioned it at the weekend on Sky, and I doubt a man like himself was spouting such a fact without having researched it at one stage previously.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Quote from: redhandefender on August 03, 2015, 10:07:09 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 03, 2015, 09:44:47 AM
I just don't see McCurry as a top forward to be honest, he can't really win his own ball and beat men.  He usually scores when he is simply given a pass in space, we need more than that.

Agree I think him and mc caliskey will both crumble under pressure form here on in. Hope I am wrong.

I was impressed with some of the scores McCaliskey kicked against Donegal. I don't think he'll crumble.

Schkite

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 04, 2015, 03:31:16 PM
How come a lot of players and managers all allude to Croke Park being that bit bigger?  Also, when watching a game on TV for example it always appears that there is far more space in Croke Park than Clones for example.  Even Jim McGuinness mentioned it at the weekend on Sky, and I doubt a man like himself was spouting such a fact without having researched it at one stage previously.

Sure it's a little bigger, but not to the extent that some people make it out to be.

redhandefender

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 04, 2015, 03:38:05 PM
Quote from: redhandefender on August 03, 2015, 10:07:09 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 03, 2015, 09:44:47 AM
I just don't see McCurry as a top forward to be honest, he can't really win his own ball and beat men.  He usually scores when he is simply given a pass in space, we need more than that.

Agree I think him and mc caliskey will both crumble under pressure form here on in. Hope I am wrong.

I was impressed with some of the scores McCaliskey kicked against Donegal. I don't think he'll crumble.

Far to inconsistent, he was awful against Sligo. has scored some great points but missed some absolute sitters.

Will be our downfall yet, I tell thee!

Croke park won't be a factor for monaghan, talks cheap at this stage amongst all the mystic megs, we'll find out whos better come Saturday, pressure on monaghan for sure but if they want to show they have really improved then its now or never

the goal was on

Mickey will be staying regardless. Shown improvement on last year so no brainer that he will want to push on. Will his man in the stand/earpiece mark become part of his management team next year. Heard was keen on this to happen this year but was on shaky ground at the time.

Soup an Samajiz

C'mere, what would be the best establishment to catch the game in Belfast without fear of the foreign game being on instead?
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

take_yer_points

Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on August 04, 2015, 04:00:53 PM
C'mere, what would be the best establishment to catch the game in Belfast without fear of the foreign game being on instead?

Hatfield maybe. Don't think you'll get it in too many places in the city centre

Soup an Samajiz

Quote from: take_yer_points on August 04, 2015, 04:05:45 PM
Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on August 04, 2015, 04:00:53 PM

Hatfield maybe. Don't think you'll get it in too many places in the city centre

Was thinkin the Bot but with the PL startin this weekend they'll no doubt hav it on.. don't really fancy the hatfield to be honest
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

JoG2

Quote from: Schkite on August 04, 2015, 03:43:33 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 04, 2015, 03:31:16 PM

Sure it's a little bigger, but not to the extent that some people make it out to be.

Tomás O'Se was asked about this and he said its because there is such a big gap between the sidelines and the seats. It gives the impression its wider. I'll have to believe the man having never played on it myself.

Casement and MacCumhaill Park are both bigger than Croke Pk

AZOffaly

Yes, it's the illusion of space. TV is notorious for making pitches look bigger as well though, depending on where the cameras are situated. Sure you'd think the soccer pitches in England are massive from the TV angles, and then when you go there they're hardly much bigger than a large golf green :)