Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 03, 2015, 08:38:33 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 03, 2015, 11:11:21 AM
Ye have to fancy Tyrone for this one, they have the momentum, they have the form, Mickey Harte is a cute bugger who will close down the space afforded to McManus and when you do that Monaghan don't function.  Tyrone by 3.
Tyrone have no more momentum or form than Monaghan. Tyrone have been beaten 3 Division 3 teams and Meath. Probably as easy a path as they could have asked for.

And if Mickey Harte's cuteness is to close down McManus... well we'll see. The idea isn't exactly a revelation, but if Donegal couldn't do it...

Donegal's defence isn't operating at the level it has done in the past, so I wouldn't necessarily say that McManus is unmarkable for this reason. However, I agree that shutting him down is not the B all and end all as that would be a very naive game plan. I don't think Mickey is naive.
That was never a square ball!!

Maguire01

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 03, 2015, 09:25:06 PM
Ye have to fancy Tyrone for this one, they have the momentum, they have the form, Mickey Harte is a cute bugger who will close down the space afforded to McManus and when you do that Monaghan don't function.  Tyrone by 3.
Tyrone have no more momentum or form than Monaghan. Tyrone have been beaten 3 Division 3 teams and Meath. Probably as easy a path as they could have asked for.

And if Mickey Harte's cuteness is to close down McManus... well we'll see. The idea isn't exactly a revelation, but if Donegal couldn't do it...

Donegal's defence isn't operating at the level it has done in the past, so I wouldn't necessarily say that McManus is unmarkable for this reason. However, I agree that shutting him down is not the B all and end all as that would be a very naive game plan. I don't think Mickey is naive.
I agree. The idea that Monaghan have nothing other than McManus is just a lazy comment that is repeated time and time again. McManus is a class act, but Monaghan has a great spread of scorers at the minute. McManus generally comes out on top in the stats, but he kicks plenty of frees won by other players.

And even if Donegal's defence isn't what it was, the question is whether Tyrone's is better.

trileacman

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 03, 2015, 10:03:45 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 03, 2015, 09:25:06 PM

I agree. The idea that Monaghan have nothing other than McManus is just a lazy comment that is repeated time and time again. McManus is a class act, but Monaghan has a great spread of scorers at the minute. McManus generally comes out on top in the stats, but he kicks plenty of frees won by other players.

And even if Donegal's defence isn't what it was, the question is whether Tyrone's is better.

Mickey's plan will be to shut down the entire Monaghan attack as has been the style for every match we've played since Dublin in the league, give or take. The winning and losing of the match will be if our defence can negate your attack better than you can negate ours. A real game of chess this one.

Corey will most likely shadow Sean in a repeat of his marking of Murphy.
Mattie D and D Hughes will probably face off in a battle that sees almost identical styles of play.
McCarron will take McManus.
Who'll you send out against McCurry and McAliskey?
Colm against McAdam or Lennon.
I'd say Mone will mark Petey Harte. I'd imagine McCann will pick up O'Connell. Either this or vice-versa.
Joe and Ronan McNabb to sweep for us. McNamee will either pick up Duffy or K Hughes.
We used Colm as a sweeper the last day which was a shocking selection as he is amongst our worst tacklers and a repeat fouler. A repeat of that strategy would see Monaghan prevail this weekend.

Very surprised Monaghan only used 3 subs the last day, they were out on their feet for the last 10 and it nearly cost them the match.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

rrhf

I think mcmanus is almost unmarkable.   It will come down to the overal Tyrone defensive effort throughout the field.  Tyrone will need a higher level of possession to win this game and tyrones keep ball could be important.  Don't think it has the makings of a classic attacking game, but intriguing defensive  it will be..If monaghan have more than 50% possession the favourites will win.

Schkite

Quote from: trileacman on August 03, 2015, 10:39:05 PM
Who'll you send out against McCurry and McAliskey?

Walshe and Ryan Wylie I'd imagine. Drew could play a part too so he's another option, probably won't start though.

Quote from: trileacman on August 03, 2015, 10:39:05 PM
Very surprised Monaghan only used 3 subs the last day, they were out on their feet for the last 10 and it nearly cost them the match.

That surprised me too I have to say, considering the impact of the bench in our first two games. I felt experienced heads like Dick and Finlay were exactly what we needed in the last 10/15 minutes.

Main Street

I think it's a year or so too early for Tyrone in their rebuilding process, to get past this 1/4 final test. Tyrone are playing a similar familiar cautious game, the new red hands are a work in process in replacing the familiar established characters who have left the squad. I don't think 'Big Sean' can be the match winning  inspirational leader on his own against this Monaghan team, most every other Tyrone player is manageable. I think we have Tyrone's number for this game, we have been  working up to this for 8 years,  so we may as well stick the boot in with a vengeance while Tyrone are at this transition. There's no championship voodoo at play any more, that was put to rest last year, a hefty stake through the heart before sunset in Clones did that trick, albeit in nervy circumstances.

redhandefender

Quote from: Main Street on August 04, 2015, 12:58:49 AM
I think it's a year or so too early for Tyrone in their rebuilding process, to get past this 1/4 final test. Tyrone are playing a similar familiar cautious game, the new red hands are a work in process in replacing the familiar established characters who have left the squad. I don't think 'Big Sean' can be the match winning  inspirational leader on his own against this Monaghan team, most every other Tyrone player is manageable. I think we have Tyrone's number for this game, we have been  working up to this for 8 years,  so we may as well stick the boot in with a vengeance while Tyrone are at this transition. There's no championship voodoo at play any more, that was put to rest last year, a hefty stake through the heart before sunset in Clones did that trick, albeit in nervy circumstances.

I think there is quite a bit of pressure on monaghan here, if they don't do it I think their bubble will burst! If they have been building for 8 years as you say for a quarter final against a poor enough tyrone team that says it all really about where they are at

nrico2006

Can't see anything but a Monaghan win, especially after the tanking they gave Tyrone last year in the Championship and with the forward line they have, Tyrones defence will be lucky to hold them to 15 points.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 04, 2015, 09:18:01 AM
Can't see anything but a Monaghan win, especially after the tanking they gave Tyrone last year in the Championship and with the forward line they have, Tyrones defence will be lucky to hold them to 15 points.

WUM!  ::)

50fiftyball

The pressure is all on Monaghan this Saturday, Tyrone have nothing to lose, a lot of young players brought into the team. Monaghan have shown that once they get out of Ulster they've been "chokers in Croker" and in my opinion from speaking to a few Monaghan men they don't want Tyrone at this moment in time.

ONeill

Serious pressure on Monaghan. Doubling by the day.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

nrico2006

What is Monaghans record in Croke Park over the past 11 or 12 years?  Serious amount of defeats. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tommo2

As long as Tyrone don't get stuffed on Saturday, I think there has been enough progress in this team for Mickey Harte to remain in charge and to develop them over the next couple of years.

Jinxy

Sickening arrogance from the Tyrone lads, as usual.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Boycey

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 04, 2015, 11:39:38 AM
What is Monaghans record in Croke Park over the past 11 or 12 years?  Serious amount of defeats.

We'll always have this glorious victory to bask in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZmuOSjrEko